Is the Putter the Most Over and Under Thought Piece of Equipment?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Combing through some different threads, I was taking in lots of different view points about the putter and putter technology. It seems to me there are three schools of thought.

1. Doesn’t matter, give me an old Ping from the 60s, same thing.
2. All in on every facet of face angle matching stroke and fitting.
3. None of that matters except the way it looks. Custom or Boutique only.

There appears no in between or no dabbling in other areas, or at least its not discussed. Do you fall in one of those?

Based on the fact that I suck with anything I try to putt with, I am going with 1.

I really really want to fall into category 3 but I’m more in category 2. If it matches my eye, gives me confidence, and gives a consistent roll with my stroke, you can charge what you want.

Look good. Feel good. Putt good.

I think I fall somewhere in between 2 and 3. After being fit and learning I should have toe hang that's what I have shifted to using. Toe hang and weight are the biggest things I look at. I prefer something custom and have dreams of owning one but can't spend the money right now. The first option doesn't really apply to me other than my older Protype that I game sometimes.

I’m definitely someone who has a little of each of those. you certainly can putt with a putter from the 60’s and be just fine. With that, number 3 works as well, because it’s the same thought, you just want something fancy and unique. I also think the whole “it doesn’t matter” aspect only rings true as long as the putter fits with your style and preference of putting. I also believe in number 4 that isn’t shown: that there is definitely advancements in putter technology that can help with a myriad of issues. Is it necessary? No, but it can definitely help.

it always just comes back to - play what you want and makes you happy. Putter is such a weird spot in the bag in terms of peoples views, but it’s also one of the most important to have something that works for you.

I think I lean toward number 2.

I have never really been interested in trying "new" putter tech. I just can't see how a fancy face insert or different kind of caulk, or perimeter weighting is going to make the ball get to the hole any better than my normal putting stroke will. I've never done a putter fitting, but I prefer a certain shape, and angles.

Now, I know that I can't just putt well with anything. I need something that suits my eye, and feels good in my hands. And I think boutique putters are pretty, but I don't really see myself going after many of them.

My question is, does putters need to be considered? If someone can provide statistical evidence that one form of putter tech beats out all others in terms of getting a ball in a hole in the fewest strokes, I might read up on it, and maybe even go out and test some things. But putters/putting are too personal. There are too many variables. I just can't wrap my head around a need for fancy technology.

Not a fan of the look of my current putter (SL Tuttle) but putt well with it. I've been on a build up the putting basics kick. Results are positive and motivating. Previously I was looking to putters for help and that didn't help (shocker :rolleyes:).

So, answering the question. I'm more in camp 1 right now. Will move to camp 2 in time when I can go through a putter fitting. Camp 3 with custom. boutique, cool-factor is inevitable given my love of equipment.

None of the above. I tried 2-3 dozen different putters in various stores over 2 years. Self fitted, one would say. Ended up with the one that gave me the best aim, roll and feel. I couldn't tell you weight, face angle or moi. But it works very well for me. (now if I could just get the ball on the green more often...)

Combing through some different threads, I was taking in lots of different view points about the putter and putter technology. It seems to me there are three schools of thought.

There appears no in between or no dabbling in other areas, or at least its not discussed. Do you fall in one of those?

Putting performance, like with all golf shots, I think is 90% technique and 10% equipment.
For my game, if the putter has reasonably average specifications, such as length from between 34" and 37", lie angle between 68* and 72*, loft between 2* and 5*, head weight between 300 and 350 grams etc... I expect my putting performance would be the same with any putter.

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I want something unique... that starts a fun conversation.
From a functionality standpoint, I want a putter that makes me feel like I can make anything.
From a personal standpoint, sound is absolutely everything to me.

Before May of this year, I probably would’ve said 1. But after getting properly fit for a putter this year and proceeding to have the best putting year of my golf life, I definitely fall into #2 now.

I'm mostly a #1, with a dash of #2. Like DG_1234 said, if it's reasonably close to what naturally suits me, I can do well with it. Give me something close off the rack, and I'm good. And as a friend recently found out, I'm definitely NOT the guy you want to talk to at length about your latest "AMAZING" putter fitting experience. If you're a better putter than I am (he is not) I generally believe it has nearly nothing to do with the actual putter. I'm planning to get a more customized putter next year, but that's more for individuality than anything else.

I am on board with this ^ though. For a guy with terrible hearing, I'm actually kind of picky about how my clubs sound. I'd choose a putter that's 3 inches shorter than ideal over one that I don't like the sound of.

Probably category 2.

Especially the last few years - probably should practice instead

what about the “I have one shape that works, and I like new tech. As long as its in the shape I like” group?
Or am I alone?

In answer to your @JB question in the title, the obvious answer is yes after reading the replies. :p

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Ping Redwood Anser in the bag since 2006.

i'm not sure i fit into any of those. i would propose #4.

4. if it feels right, it is right. whether at address, during the stroke, off the face, or any combination thereof.

Ping Redwood Anser in the bag since 2006.

Ping's Redwood line was great, and I recall they were sold with either a silver or a black finish. Which one do you have ?

Ping's Redwood line was great, and I recall they were sold with either a silver or a black finish. Which one do you have ?

Silver

I'm firmly in #2.

I'm just not sure that putter "tech" actually equates to lower scores on the course - variable face milling, super stiff shafts, etc. BUT, if it doesn't cost extra I don't think it would hurt to have any of the tech.

yessssss - except, I bet we are the exact opposite of what we want haha. Love that soft muted sound.

I’m probably closest to #2 but only have had 2 putters in past 5 years so I don’t go through a lot putters although I have yet to find one that is magical. Still on the lookout it but have to be 100% hsure before I shell out the coin.

I think the grip you choose has as much effect on your putter as anything else. Far more important to me than the amount of toe-hang.

Not really a custom or boutique guy as much as I’d like to be mostly because of price. Just can’t see forking out that kind of $$ even though some are amazing looking. So I guess I’ll settle for #2 and hope that a fitting and tech helps get the ball in the hole. The way it looks is very important though

Back