Is this acceptable?

Girardcorp

Reaction score
Handicap
Played at a local course who's had 3 owners over the last 10-15 years. Current ownership has promised to return the course to the way it was intended. Obviously money is tight when allocating projects but do you think this is acceptable?
90d7d1c5636f54bb7441b9407a17f52d.jpg

Greens fees w/ cart were $60. In my opinion if your going to have sand traps that are unplayable you shouldn't be charging a premium to play. I would say average for 18 w/ cart in the area is probably $40-$45. There's not much competition in this segment when it gets back to its "glory days". At that point I'd say it's worth it.

Should they have to give us a discount due to the poor traps and other items that are "in progress"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, I wouldn't spend my money there. Yes I think there should be a discount with conditions like that.

Man that looks brutal. Shame because the FW actually looks pretty nice.

That's more like a $25 w/cart looking course to me.

Man that looks brutal. Shame because the FW actually looks pretty nice.

The fairways are generally in good shape but I saw this and just shook by head. I couldn't believe it. I had heard a rumor that it's lift and place outside during leagues. If so that's just plain sad.

I've also heard they punched the greens twice before Memorial Day. And the superintendent is supposed to know what he's doing. Came from a country club.

I've also heard they punched the greens twice before Memorial Day. And the superintendent is supposed to know what he's doing. Came from a country club.

Well if he came from a county club. :alien:

I don't get it though. The rest of the course in that pic looks really good. Why skip bunker maintenance???

No way I fork over $60 for that

I don't get it though. The rest of the course in that pic looks really good. Why skip bunker maintenance???

Could be planning on making them grass or even grass bunkers. And if they think other things are more important, it's not cheap to do that. There could be more important things they need to fix first that we don't know by that picture.

Personally I wouldn't pay that much to play a course in that condition by choice ever. That's just unacceptable.

Could be planning on making them grass or even grass bunkers. And if they think other things are more important, it's not cheap to do that. There could be more important things they need to fix first that we don't know by that picture.

Like what. I can easily say yes/no to those. I've played this course for close to 15 years. I've never seen it like this. On the plus side they have unlimited range balls, brand new Titleist NXT for $7.

I'd have to look at the rest of the course to get a gauge on it. Was it all bunkers like that? Any other short comings that caught your eye?
$60 would be a tough stretch to justify just judging by this.

Depends on your long term view. If you want this course you need to pay the rate as well as buy a bunch of beverages at the course. The more money comes in the quicker things get fixed

Honestly the rest of the course looks pretty darn good. Public(and most private) courses will never be in 100% top shape all the time and probably won't be most of the time. Greens need to be punched contrary to what many people think and view as awful there is a reason they do it so much.
Sometimes courses are just let go and this is unacceptable other times you catch it in a transition period and considering the weather being crazy this spring I have a hard time judging any course currently.

Courses have limited resources and cant always touch everything. Did you mention this to the course? Were all bunkers this way? Is this a bunker right off the tee box or in the fairway?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I could see if they were doing work on it ya know bit 60 for that as a everyday occurence no way

Honestly the rest of the course looks pretty darn good. Public(and most private) courses will never be in 100% top shape all the time and probably won't be most of the time. Greens need to be punched contrary to what many people think and view as awful there is a reason they do it so much.
Sometimes courses are just let go and this is unacceptable other times you catch it in a transition period and considering the weather being crazy this spring I have a hard time judging any course currently.

Courses have limited resources and cant always touch everything. Did you mention this to the course? Were all bunkers this way? Is this a bunker right off the tee box or in the fairway?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

These are fairway bunkers. There were 3 more further down exactly the same as this. Quite a few on the course were in this shape.

I think they are charging that to make sure they can get the cash flow to get the course back to the way it was. If you have to pull it out of a sand trap is it really that bad?

The grass looks green and full and no dead spots. The course I belonged before did the same thing to the greens. Punched them with the giant holes twice in about a month and it was bad for that Sumner but after that they were some of the best greens.

But if you want the course to get back to being great, you will have to spend the money. All in all I think it would be worth it and it doesn't look that bad.

That bunker looks atrocious but you can't judge a courses value from one photo, however good or bad.

NO.........

I would have to see the rest of the course, but it better be in great shape with awesome greens for that $$

I would definitely not pay that much for a course with bunkers in that condition. I guess I'm lucky where I live and play.

Interesting thoughts everyone. I guess I was thinking that charging almost 50% more than local average will probably turn some people off at this point hurting business down the road.

Back