Is this the end of the World Golf Championships?

Raiderboost

2023 Victory Cup Participant
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I hope they add another match play or alternative format event.

That sucks - I really enjoy the WGC
They had a chance at a super series, twice, but I believe this is in fact the end.

Bummer I thought that tourney was fun and different

Bummer I thought that tourney was fun and different
I knew the membership at Austin CC didn't like it but I thought they would move it somewhere else.

I knew the membership at Austin CC didn't like it but I thought they would move it somewhere else.
Why didn't the membership like it?

No more match play on tour? That stinks.

I know many memberships want no part of a tournament. Closed facilities, golf course is beat to ****, etc.

For a few months before the tournament they have to carry around a piece of turf to put their ball on and hit off of it.

I know many memberships want no part of a tournament. Closed facilities, golf course is beat to ****, etc.
I never thought about that, not surprising though.

Will Kisner go to LIV now?

I never thought about that, not surprising though.
Oh it’s crazy how the course looks with all the tents and stands. And they are up for at least six months out of the year. Really changes the look of the course when I drive by ACC.

That article is confusing. Seems to suggest the tournament itself is dead without saying so directly?

If they keep the tourney I hope they think outside the box on course selection.

I get that all the hullabaloo surrounding a pro tournament would be a huge hassle for the membership, but I'm surprised they're not more accepting of the tradeoff for the prestige of their club hosting a PGA Tour event.

I get that all the hullabaloo surrounding a pro tournament would be a huge hassle for the membership, but I'm surprised they're not more accepting of the tradeoff for the prestige of their club hosting a PGA Tour event.
There is a huge waiting list for Austin CC and it is a steep initiation fee. The people that are members there aren't worried about the prestige of the club as much as wanting to play their golf course without the headaches.

The article is kind of crazy. "The Tour sent Austin Country Club a proposal more than four months ago and ACC pushed back hard, countering with an exorbitant increase to its site fee and ticket demands for its members. The Tour balked and for several months there was no communication between the two parties." Then after hearing nothing sent an unsolicited proposal agreeing to the tours original terms... yikes. That is a monstrous miscalculation. You knew they were looking to cut events not add them. That being said it also says match play isn't done and hopefully they find a perfect venue for match play. I can't say that I really get too into this event each year.

The article is kind of crazy. "The Tour sent Austin Country Club a proposal more than four months ago and ACC pushed back hard, countering with an exorbitant increase to its site fee and ticket demands for its members. The Tour balked and for several months there was no communication between the two parties." Then after hearing nothing sent an unsolicited proposal agreeing to the tours original terms... yikes. That is a monstrous miscalculation. You knew they were looking to cut events not add them. That being said it also says match play isn't done and hopefully they find a perfect venue for match play. I can't say that I really get too into this event each year.
Interesting

Wonder if the players were starting to complain about playing 6-7 rounds in 4 days

If only there were some sort of high dollar limited field series that could replace the WGC...

Let’s bring it to Pittsburgh. I hate that we don’t have a regular tour stop around here.

Its not the course that was the problem. It was the way it was run.

Back