It's time to regulate equipment.

The last time I hit a wood club, it was about 1998 and it was a Ping fairway. And if it was not their current model, it was close. Ping is traditionally slow.

But it was the last time.:cool:

I have an old set of laminate woods that I pull out a couple times a year. It is a challenge for sure, but fun nonetheless!
But I agree, I’ll keep my modern clubs for the everyday rounds, thanks!

These are my “fun” woods:

View attachment 8992870
You must really like a challenge. That set is not only old, but they made it backwards too 😉

I have an old set of laminate woods that I pull out a couple times a year. It is a challenge for sure, but fun nonetheless!

View attachment 8992870
Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I had kept my original set of clubs (laminate woods and blade irons). But at the time, I couldn't get rid of them fast enough!

...I'd love to see a pro tournament where say 1970's equipment is used. Be interesting. Those 470 yard par 4's would be a real challenge.
Bring it on!
I'd love to see a vintage tour where the equipment had to be at least 40 years old. Or maybe mix in a vintage day as part of a regular tournament. I think it would be interesting to see how course strategy would change and how differently some pros might play a hole.

Dom registered, posted a HSO and was out of here! LOL. Well played Dom.
I just was writing the same thing. Created thread and disappeard.

I don’t tee the ball up because it just feels like an unnatural advantage. For the same reason I refuse to mark my ball on the greens. If you believed any of that, feel free to use your wooden clubs next time we play. I want forgiveness, but you do you (y)

View attachment 8992870
Good looking clubs. I think my 7W is bigger than those. And I wouldn't have it any other way.:ROFLMAO:

Good looking clubs. I think my 7W is bigger than those. And I wouldn't have it any other way.:ROFLMAO:
Thanks! I quite like the look of them as well. And they all have their original knitted sock head covers - complete with pompom!

I'd love to see a vintage tour where the equipment had to be at least 40 years old. Or maybe mix in a vintage day as part of a regular tournament. I think it would be interesting to see how course strategy would change and how differently some pros might play a hole.
I think a vintage equipment tourney would be awesome once a year. Final round played with hickory sticks and period apperal. Maybe the other 3 rounds with a different decade of equipment types. Be cool to see for sure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think a vintage equipment tourney would be awesome once a year. Final round played with hickory sticks and period apperal. Maybe the other 3 rounds with a different decade of equipment types. Be cool to see for sure.
Imagine trying to coordinate something like that hahaha

I love how forgiving the equipment is and I LOVE bombing drives no need to go backwards!

The regulation is there. Maybe too much so, but that's a different conversation. IMO, the spectrum of offerings out there allow people to play the baby blades if they want to or go with the chunkier more forgiving clubs. I dig options. I think having them enables the game to grow as so many aren't inherently excluded or kept on the fringe. The game is still a challenge for sure...for pros and amateurs alike.

So the basis of the argument is that equipment has made the game easier and people hit further . But then when new equipment comes out everyone says it's the person swinging and not the club .... Make up your mind people :ROFLMAO:

I personally think I can hit a ball just as bad with new or old equipment.

I wonder how many got that reference. :LOL:
Every. single. person named Nathan who was in high school at the time sure did. There might have even been a D O double G on a jersey or two. 😥

:LOL:

Can I use this space as a safe space to complain about how nauseating it is to hear a certain podcast make this same argument for hours on end?

At 68 I could say I have lots of swings under my belt. Years ago down at 7 handicap with the old wood woods and steel shaft irons. And included in my bag of 14 clubs was a 1 iron.
Baseball requires balls, bats, and other equipment must adhere to size requirements. Much the same with other sports.
But golf. No. The increase in club face in particular I believe has altered the game in an negative way. Back in the day a 280 yard drive on target with a small faced wooden drivers was a challenge. It meant your swing was on point. But be off just a "hair" spells disaster. Clubs today are forgiving.
I'd love to see a pro tournament where say 1970's equipment is used. Be interesting. Those 470 yard par 4's would be a real challenge.
Bring it on!

No. Leave the game alone... Advancements are good for us all.

Back