"Jacked" Lofts in 2020

I agree. People tend to worry too much about lofts of clubs because they don’t get fit. They think they have to have certain loft gaps in order to hit proper gaps in distance.

as I mentioned before, I don’t care about lofts of my irons as long as I can hit the distances and have proper gapping from my 3 wood down to wedges.

but, Ihave found that for me and many people I play with over the span of a year (decent amount as I play roughly 40-60 rounds a year mostly as a single pairing up with strangers), there is a loft range, no matter the iron type (players/gi/sgi),launch conditions starts to suffer and that player needs to move into a different club type to get that proper gapping. It’s not absolute related to speed but thatplays a roleand certainly is more impacted to club delivery at impact. Ie: dynamic loft, AOA, path, etc.
I think that last paragraph is 100% player dependent, and I firmly believe there is an iron out there with the launch/spin conditions to support both the lowest launching and highest launching players.

I KNEW you were going to mention those, lol. No, I didn't. I hit them, but they felt a bit harsh to me.
I'd tell you to check out PTx (which are pretty awesome and sound good) but they bailed on loft stamping a couple years ago haha

I think that last paragraph is 100% player dependent, and I firmly believe there is an iron out there with the launch/spin conditions to support both the lowest launching and highest launching players.

Another reason asking someone what club they hit can be meaningless today as his 7 iron may be your 5-iron.

I KNEW you were going to mention those, lol. No, I didn't. I hit them, but they felt a bit harsh to me.
You had your chance.

But also, almost no one did. If it had worked, they would have put Lofts on a whole batch of Irons in their line of clubs.

And other OEM'S would have followed.

I honestly have never seen one except online. :drinks:

You had your chance.

But also, almost no one did. If it had worked, they would have put Lofts on a whole batch of Irons in their line of clubs.

And other OEM'S would have followed.

I honestly have never seen one except online. :drinks:

I think the reason it didn't catch on was b/c people could no longer say, "Wow, I hit used to hit a 7-iron on this hole, and I just hit a 9-iron!". Golf companies sell/market distance, and loft stamping kinda goes against that.

On a side note, I never got that. Irons to me are scoring clubs, not distance clubs. I couldn't care less what number is stamped on the sole, lol.

Another reason asking someone what club they hit can be meaningless today as his 7 iron may be your 5-iron.
I'd argue it would be meaningless even if the lofts were all identical haha! We're all different players with different abilities. Only way that works any time is if we're familiar with that player, which means we know what they are capable of with said number regardless of the loft.

I'd argue it would be meaningless even if the lofts were all identical haha! We're all different players with different abilities. Only way that works any time is if we're familiar with that player, which means we know what they are capable of with said number regardless of the loft.

That's true! A young friend of mine is a 3 HI with 185 mph ball speed. If he says he hit an 8-iron, I know that is a 7-wood for me, lol.

And they also mentioned if it was their 25%, 50%, 75%, or 90% swing.

Otherwise you are still using the wrong Iron.

:drinks:

I'd tell you to check out PTx (which are pretty awesome and sound good) but they bailed on loft stamping a couple years ago haha
Who set the "standard" to lofts? When is a PW not longer a PW... obviously the Smart @$$ answer is, when you have a 9i.

Yes of course the data scientifically plays a role in the Physics.

But if you're playing golf thinking about anything but Distance and Target you will have a hard time getting the ball to your target to get it in the hole.

I love geeking out online. But when I practice on the range I only want to see each clubs carrying a different Distance. When I play I only focus on using the right Club to get the ball as close to the target as possible.

The Launch angle or spin axis is not on my mind. Only do I want to hit a Fade or a draw and how far.

It really is that simple. :drinks:

correct. I’m not good enough to say oh man that thing only launched at 10*versus the needed 17 or whatever. But I know,that when my ball is launching lower/doesn’t get to similar heights as the other irons, I won’t get the amount of carry so now I will have multiple irons carry around the same, but still having ok gaps for total distances due to descending angle/spin/etc differences.

No, I don't think so. I don't think we need to concede one thing to support another.

Take the three offerings now available on the 'more forgiving' side of Cobra's product lineup. I can just about guarantee that all support distance while having a variety of spin and launch characteristics. Hell, the same kind of iron from various companies produces different launch characteristics. KING Forged Tec vs Mizuno HMB vs Ping i500 vs P790 would all promote different numbers.

This fits my experience. I can get very different flight and spin working across iron heads even if they the have the same loft and category of club. Loft itself does not determine whether I like a club or not. I would not hesitate to buy irons with stronger lofts if they gave me a better flight. Gaps are easy to address.

Changing loft on a specific iron is an interesting approach. I would guess that some clubs setup better than others for loft adjustment as a fitting approach for more than just gaps. I would assume the head design is based on a loft +\- and moving within that zone would shift the launch and spin. Thinking about the mavrik irons and different face design for each club makes my head spin.

Do players really care about spin? I mean it's OK on the LM, but once your out on the course all is forgotten. Maybe not for the true hardcore golfer, but the weekend warrior and casual player.

I doubt there are significant loft gaps within a set of irons, and I'd be willing to bet that tech alone is more responsible for gaps between a wedge (which most are basically MBs) and an iron designed to do certain things to support a swing (like forgiveness).

If the average golfer was genuinely worried about gapping, I think we'd see a lot more wedges like the Cleveland CBX2 get sold... or at the very least their iron sets extending into the AW and SW range.

I think you missed my point. My point is that the loft number does not matter if that club goes the distance it needs to.

For what it’s worth, I see a lot of Cbx wedges get sold.

Who set the "standard" to lofts? When is a PW not longer a PW... obviously the Smart @$$ answer is, when you have a 9i.
I believe a PW is no longer a pitching wedge when the player using it doesn't hit it with the trajectory of a pitching wedge.

Do players really care about spin? I mean it's OK on the LM, but once your out on the course all is forgotten. Maybe not for the true hardcore golfer, but the weekend warrior and casual player.
I think they should. It matters a hell of a lot more than the loft of the club they are hitting.

This kind of reminds me of when SLDR came out and no one could hit it higher than their shadow.

Comparing it to the Cobra Amp Cell would have required the Amp Cell to go to 7 and the SLDR to go to 12.5 degrees, yet no one seemed to be worried about them all being labeled as a driver.

correct. I’m not good enough to say oh man that thing only launched at 10*versus the needed 17 or whatever. But I know,that when my ball is launching lower/doesn’t get to similar heights as the other irons, I won’t get the amount of carry so now I will have multiple irons carry around the same, but still having ok gaps for total distances due to descending angle/spin/etc differences.
Did you get fitted for your clubs?

Because a good fitter would know just from your PW and 7 iron numbers on the Launch Monitor when you would require, not prefer or request, but require a Hybrid or a Fairway Wood and build up your set accordingly.

I once carried a 9 Fairway Wood. Loved it. It was at the time my 150 yard Club. Because the fitter choose it for my bag, because I couldn't hit the 7 iron with enough spin, Height or Decent angle.

That's their Job.

:drinks:

BTW this was 30 years ago when I was in my mid twenties :drinks::drinks::drinks:

I believe a PW is no longer a pitching wedge when the player using it doesn't hit it with the trajectory of a pitching wedge.

I agree. I was talking about this with someone today...it is more like a 9, or even an 8 iron. :)

I think they should. It matters a hell of a lot more than the loft of the club they are hitting.
The majority of guys that I play with really have no idea what their spin is on a 7i, 6i, or even a 9i. Players that buy clubs on line, impulse buy, an even when they're fit, most probably don't know what spin is.

The majority of guys that I play with really have no idea what their spin is on a 7i, 6i, or even a 9i. Players that buy clubs on line, impulse buy, an even when their fit, most probably don't know what spin is.
It's kind of baffling to me. Lots of guys at my course do that - Buy clubs on a whim or have had the same set in the bag for a decade. Buy brand new ProV1's every round and debate how to improve their game after every round, yet never consider actually learning about what they are doing.

At the end of the day, it is just a number...or letter, lol...at the bottom of the club. The scorecard doesn't care what club you used to hit the green, and if your buddy says, "Hey I hit an 8 and you hit a 6!", remind him that he made double and you made par, lol.

I agree. I was talking about this with someone today...it is more like a 9, or even an 8 iron. :)
But can we agree this is player to player. Like I mentioned previously, I have my PW bent to 43 degrees right now, and launch it with a peak height of 120ish feet. Falls out of the sky, lands on a dime, and sometimes spins back a bit.

Is it a PW?

Back