Jamie Sadlowski Signs with Cleveland Golf

That's exactly it: he's going to pound the ball no matter what brand he plays. People know that. As you say, it doesn't matter what clubs he plays. He's a sideshow.

I'm a huge fan of Cleveland/Srixon. Great people, great products. This signing is not without its risks, especially when you're known for short game excellence. But, as they say, sometimes you have to take risks.
I guess I just don't see the risk, no one is expecting him to become a short game wizard or anything, so it's him coming in to do what he does and get the brand(s) names out there. It's a win for both parties with way more upside than down.

I think it's brilliant. I see this move as only having upside. If he flops nobody is going to associate the performance with the brand. If he does anything the brand gets all the good stuff.

I heard he hits the ball really far.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Having seen him in person at the PGA show, that is an understatement!

I really like the signing for both parties involved. He's gonna hit the ball far, people are going to watch. His short game may not be the best, but if he sees any improvements it could be really good for the RTX3 and Srixon iron lineup. If he doesn't I don't think it hurts them either.

Jamie is awesome to watch, especially in person. I think this is a good move for Cleveland, and I'm surprised Callaway let him go. It doesn't change anything on the tour for them though considering Jamie pretty much just plays the Canadian Tour.

That's exactly it: he's going to pound the ball no matter what brand he plays. People know that. As you say, it doesn't matter what clubs he plays. He's a sideshow.

I'm a huge fan of Cleveland/Srixon. Great people, great products. This signing is not without its risks, especially when you're known for short game excellence. But, as they say, sometimes you have to take risks.

There may be a slight risk, but if they can be considered in the same breath with the other OEMs for Long clubs it won’t hurt them at all.

I really like the signing for both parties involved. He's gonna hit the ball far, people are going to watch. His short game may not be the best, but if he sees any improvements it could be really good for the RTX3 and Srixon iron lineup. If he doesn't I don't think it hurts them either.

This is an excellent point too, if he gets a short game for any reason it’s a big win for the brand. A big win for him too likely. As long as he doesn’t obviously struggle with the irons whether he gets better or not won’t matter.

Looks like he changed clothing sponsors as well, going from Travis Mathew to Matte Grey.

Travis Matthew is owned by another OEM right? I don’t think Matte Grey is.

To me it's not a big deal. IMO even less than some of the PXG signings. He isn't competing long drive and to my knowledge doesn't have any status on the web.com tour. I'm guessing the avg golfer has no idea who he is
The "average golfer" is only vaguely aware of golfers not named Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson. The average golfer sees Rickie Fowler on Sunday and wonders why he's such a big fan of the old Tampa Bay Buccaneers uniforms.

I hesitate to use the average golfer as a barometer of whether putting a player under your banner is a good thing.

The "average golfer" is only vaguely aware of golfers not named Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson. The average golfer sees Rickie Fowler on Sunday and wonders why he's such a big fan of the old Tampa Bay Buccaneers uniforms.

I hesitate to use the average golfer as a barometer of whether putting a player under your banner is a good thing.

This is very true. Right now the core golfer walks passed the Cleveland metal woods. If Sadlowski makes a few even test them out, its a win long term if the clubs perform, and they have in our testing.

I feel like this was a greater loss for callaway than a gain for cleveland, an interesting WITB for sure, Driver, 2 driving irons and then irons and wedges.

This is very true. Right now the core golfer walks passed the Cleveland metal woods. If Sadlowski makes a few even test them out, its a win long term if the clubs perform, and they have in our testing.
Didn't Cleveland go a good 3 or 4 years without a line of woods with their name on it? I'd say snagging a former long drive champ is a great way to say they're back.

Isn’t the avg golfer the one referenced for moving the needle? Forum golfers are going to buy clubs based on who signs with a company and that’s been stated on thp many times by members. Rickie draws in the kids and while it may benefit puma more than Cobra the avg golfer at least gets to see rickie. Signing a player that gets zero to time because he no longer participates in long drive and has no status on any tour isn’t going to let the avg golfer know who he is let alone what clubs he plays.

The core golfer I’m assuming is the forum golfer and as I stated above have talked about tour presence not influencing their decision. The vote golfer and avg golfer who watch tv won’t see sadlowski so they won’t correlate it. Unless things change this year the golfer at tour events or watching them on tv won’t see a sadlowski or any pro playing a Cleveland driver or woods. The best player in Cleveland/Srixon stable doesn’t play their driver...it’s because of money but still how can you market someone or something that has no tour presence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't Cleveland go a good 3 or 4 years without a line of woods with their name on it? I'd say snagging a former long drive champ is a great way to say they're back.

They did. To me its an interesting move because they did announce they are back and running with that line in 2018. It delivers based on what THPers have had to say and adding a well known guy to core golfers, that isn't in the hunt every week as a brand ambassador, will make some take notice.

To use a few guys as an example. If they had gone out and signed someone like Kevin Na, Russell Knox or any of the other guys in the top 100, they just add to their staff of players. This to me is a different move with very little to no repercussions, because he is not grinding it week in and week out. A perfect example of this is the chick PXG signed...I said the same thing there and Sadlowski will top her presence in getting men to try clubs.

Ironically some that don't like this move were supportive of that one. Must be a social media thing : )

I agree, I also think it makes even more sense to sign Sadlowski than a Tour pro that may or may not crack the top 100 OWGR for that very reason. Less money and just as much recognition, so I don't see how Cleveland/Srixon loses anything.

They did. To me its an interesting move because they did announce they are back and running with that line in 2018. It delivers based on what THPers have had to say and adding a well known guy to core golfers, that isn't in the hunt every week as a brand ambassador, will make some take notice.

To use a few guys as an example. If they had gone out and signed someone like Kevin Na, Russell Knox or any of the other guys in the top 100, they just add to their staff of players. This to me is a different move with very little to no repercussions, because he is not grinding it week in and week out. A perfect example of this is the chick PXG signed...I said the same thing there and Sadlowski will top her presence in getting men to try clubs.

Ironically some that don't like this move were supportive of that one. Must be a social media thing : )
I dunno, "that chick" seems pretty good at getting people's attention.

Cool partnership between the two. Don't see how this does anything in terms of sales for Cleveland tho.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Awesome signing for Cleveland, like that. Jamie is really going to get the ball rolling

I dunno, "that chick" seems pretty good at getting people's attention.

She does and is very good at it. I think it will work well for them. I also think this moves the same needle though.
Its always very easy for people to say "Nope"... and then when asked why does a brand sign anybody there is no real answer. WHy does Titleist have close to a 100 staffers on payroll or why would Lee McCoy be a good signing before he even teed it up as a pro by Callaway? Why does JB Holmes get a contract?

The truth is because it works. If it didnt, nobody would care WITB and nobody would care to even have an opinion in these threads. Sadlowski makes people take notice and if just a small percentage even say "Im curious about this driver he is playing", its a win.

Agreed. All it'll take is a few televised events where they get him bombing a couple drives. Curious to see how many sponsorship exemptions he gets this year.

Isn’t the avg golfer the one referenced for moving the needle? Forum golfers are going to buy clubs based on who signs with a company and that’s been stated on thp many times by members. Rickie draws in the kids and while it may benefit puma more than Cobra the avg golfer at least gets to see rickie. Signing a player that gets zero to time because he no longer participates in long drive and has no status on any tour isn’t going to let the avg golfer know who he is let alone what clubs he plays.

The core golfer I’m assuming is the forum golfer and as I stated above have talked about tour presence not influencing their decision. The vote golfer and avg golfer who watch tv won’t see sadlowski so they won’t correlate it. Unless things change this year the golfer at tour events or watching them on tv won’t see a sadlowski or any pro playing a Cleveland driver or woods. The best player in Cleveland/Srixon stable doesn’t play their driver...it’s because of money but still how can you market someone or something that has no tour presence.

I don't think forum members make up "average golfers." I don't think non pros upgrading their bag every 24 months is the norm. (I'm prepared to be proven wrong on both accounts.) I think the last time the average golfer that's looking for a new driver this year bought one, Taylor Made was still king. It's a very different landscape. Anything that raises an eyebrow is an advantage. And a guy hitting a ball 375+ yards with a Cleveland driver will raise eyebrows.

She does and is very good at it. I think it will work well for them.

talk about making someone the face of the brand. i don't see many of the other horses in the ads anymore, just her in all her form-fitting glory.

WHy does Titleist have close to a 100 staffers on payroll

i figured it was to sell the pro v1 and pro v1x.

Lee McCoy be a good signing before he even teed it up as a pro by Callaway?

who?

Why does JB Holmes get a contract?

this is the kind of question i struggle with. you could insert so many names here instead of jb holmes, but that's a good one because very few people who play golf know who he is. this is my answer: because if brand x doesn't sign him, brand y will. and that means brand y will get more eyes, and brand x doesn't like that. it's rare that a sponsorship or commercial directly results in a product decision; instead, it's a slow bombardment that is meant to influence future behavior. you're not conscious of it, but by seeing a logo everywhere influences your perception of that brand and your belief about that brand will drive your purchase decision.

so while no one says, "i want to play the same clubs that cameron tringale plays," seeing another tour player wearing that brand may influence your future purchase decision because it's one more touch point. one more visual stimulus. and in that space, one more is better than no more, or said differently one more for the good guys is better than one more for the bad guys.

i think the more interesting question is why do the other sponsors pay anything? think about the random brand names that are stitched into the apparel and bags that guys on tour have. i don't know what they pay, but where is the roi for those guys?

Wait X700 shafts. Umm. I didn’t know they made those.

They don't. I see stupid mistakes like this on golf sites all the time and wonder how some people maintain their jobs. Jamie plays X7 (X Seven) shafts.

As for the signing, I can't see it hurting Cleveland. Especially since Jamie probably doesn't cost them a ton of money. Having someone hit a Cleveland driver 370+ yards probably helps get them a few more looks - especially if they run some commercials on the Golf channel.

I wish I could hit my 9* Launcher head as well as him :banghead:

Back