Jank+Nate-Fest 2024 (April 2024 in PHX)

I am most likely going to have a rental until we get to the resort, so if you need an uber service just let me know.

I'm beginning to think we're going to have enough guys in early that we should be looking at a dinner on Thursday and probably a group round on Friday?
I just may take you up on that. would be willing to chip in.

And I agree.

... and for the record I think I may have just crashed Troon North's online reservation system ...

Can’t wait for this the new house is on schedule and should be all moved in by then either way I will be there and ready to shoot 100 as the weather in Illinois in the winter does not allow a lot of golf lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saguaro Hole 5 Purple tees 159 yds

Ok after the long par 5 4th we finally get to an easy short par 3, White tees gain you 13 yards, or so you think. There are 2 things I want to point out here. First holes 5-8 are all heading back towards the halfway house and are all pretty much a straight line to each other. The left side of the holes is all desert with some elevation drop offs and lots of random bushes and cacti that love to hide golf balls. Off the tee it generally isn't an issue for me to go left but my iron shots on these holes coming up are all nervous as I love to draw/hook iron shots. The next thing I want to point out is that I mentioned how flat the greens were on hole 3 and 4, I did this on purpose. Hole 5 does not have a flat green, it has a diabolical green. It isn't really tricked up but there is a pretty big false front on this green. I have seen people putt off the front of this green many times. The 2 bunkers in front of the green have some spots with a high lip to get out of. You have to play your shot to the middle of the green to have a good chance at bird as running up the gut is probably not the best option. Long is dead, left is almost dead, right is not horrible.

Drone view of the front of green
1708965538905.png

Drone view from the back of the green
1708965626227.png

1708964854121.png

Saguaro Hole 5 Purple tees 159 yds

Ok after the long par 5 4th we finally get to an easy short par 3, White tees gain you 13 yards, or so you think. There are 2 things I want to point out here. First holes 5-8 are all heading back towards the halfway house and are all pretty much a straight line to each other. The left side of the holes is all desert with some elevation drop offs and lots of random bushes and cacti that love to hide golf balls. Off the tee it generally isn't an issue for me to go left but my iron shots on these holes coming up are all nervous as I love to draw/hook iron shots. The next thing I want to point out is that I mentioned how flat the greens were on hole 3 and 4, I did this on purpose. Hole 5 does not have a flat green, it has a diabolical green. It isn't really tricked up but there is a pretty big false front on this green. I have seen people putt off the front of this green many times. The 2 bunkers in front of the green have some spots with a high lip to get out of. You have to play your shot to the middle of the green to have a good chance at bird as running up the gut is probably not the best option. Long is dead, left is almost dead, right is not horrible.

Drone view of the front of green
View attachment 9245060

Drone view from the back of the green
View attachment 9245061

View attachment 9245051

One thing - for the diabolical part - is the top front right has a section of green elevated from the left. If the pin is there, you have maybe 1/3 of the green size. Otherwise your ball will roll all the way back or all the way to the left and you will be left with a near impossible putt.

1708969331577.png

So I called the resort today to confirm my details.

"Hi James, it's John and I'm with the Morgan group coming in on April 19th"
"Single or double"
"Double, I'm sharing a room with Ryan G"
"Ryan G, okay. Is this......... Junkyard?" 🤣
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

You were way more prepared for these tough questions than I was :ROFLMAO:

Saguaro Hole 6 Purple tees 406 yds

A pretty interesting par 4 is next as from the tee box you see a lot of available fairway on the right. The bunkers on the left really are as far left as you can go on this hole. The pin will usually be in a straight line from the tee through the bunkers so it wants to make it feel like a dogleg. Play the hole as straight and go down the right hand side. It plays uphill and the fairway slopes a little from right to left. The left desert you might as well drop a ball but the right desert you can play out of, you will need to move some rocks but there are plenty of shots out of that desert, allegedly. For your second shot there is a small valley before the green so short approaches will not run up to the green unless you thinned the crap out of it. There are no bunkers around the green and there is a ton of room to the right of the green to miss. Going left of the green just means you don't like your golf ball. Once you get on the green it is not tricked up but there are subtle breaks that make you pay attention. Get a little too cute going back towards the front of the green and it could roll off the front.

1709136216408.png

1709135967082.png

Saguaro Hole 7 Purple tees 305 yds

A "drivable" par 4. The 2nd one of the round. If we remember hole 2 you did not want to go right, on this hole there is elevation, bunkers, and left side trouble. Playing from the whites would be 290 so even more temptation. This fairway is rather generous and again you want to favor the right side of the fairway. There is more room left than on the previous hole as there is no bunker there but again if you get too far left you are rolling into the desert as the fairway is sloped right to left. The bunkers very short of the green and the greenside ones have a lip on them so you will need to splash to get out of them. This green is long and skinny and left of the green is a lot lower than the green surface. The miss is to be long of the greenside bunkers and to the right of the green. This is a hole that you should stop the bleeding but it can sneak up on you. This is on the fringe of testing the theory of taking driver every chance you can. 250 off the tee and you can be in a bunker. If you are really long off the tee maybe going at the green.

@lockstockrye always told me to aim at that top of that mountain right there. We may call it something else but that is where you aim.

1709310202559.png

1709309448525.png

Saguaro Hole 8 Purple tees 498 yds

I had to take another look at the yardage on this hole as this has never been a hole where I think I could get on in 2 from the tee. The white tees are about 20 yds closer. The tee box makes it seem as though you need to go to the right. Yes left is dead but there is more room than it feels like. The far bunker that I have a red arrow really is the aiming point and you are not going to get into that bunker as it is over 350 yds away from the tee. The tee shot is relatively flat as compared to the last 2 holes. The right side desert comes into play really quick as I have seen a number of shots from that desert area. The second shot towards the green has a little elevation to it and there is a little room to miss it left, not a lot but there is some. The green has a slight false front then I think it rolls off the back as well. Ho hum par 5 that the tee shot will dictate your score.

1709507196496.png

1709506955359.png

The more research I have done trying to decide where to play leading up to the event the happier I am that Wekopa was chosen as the host facility.

It looks absolutely incredible!!!

Some recent videos of Wekopa Saguaro
Front 9

Back 9

Saguaro Hole 9 Purple tees 130 yds

This hole feels like it was an afterthought in my mind. There is some nice bunkering and such but it just feels like it was crammed in at the last minute. It plays slightly uphill and the bunkers frame the green pretty nicely. The bunker to the right of the green will mess with your mind if the pin is in the back right of the green. The green is pretty big so getting the middle number is not a bad plan. There is a lot of room long of the green but you don't want to go too long as you will be in the halfway house. The green tilts from back to front. Ho hum hole.

1709697932539.png

I need this to hurry up and get here. It will be a welcomed break from the chaos

Saguaro Hole 10 Purple tees 322 yds

The back 9 at Saguaro starts off with a bang. Here is an example of a hole that changes a lot if the white tees are chosen. It is 322 yds but plays about 10 yds downhill. The white tees are at 306. I have driven this green 3 times from the white tees, it was the summer so the ball travels then. From the purple tees there are guys that can drive this green still but it is a little more difficult. The question you have to ask yourself on the tee is how close to the green do you want to go. Left of the fairway is pretty congested with bushes and stuff, you can get a good lie in that desert but you could also lose a ball pretty easily. There is some room to the right of the fairway but it stops rather abruptly. The view you get from the tee really doesn't show how much space there is on the right side. Depending on the pin location is really where you want to plan your tee shot because this green is interesting and there are a couple of bunkers that are round killers. lol. Front pin locations can either be left or right of a bunker that is part of the green. This bunker is annoying. If you are on the wrong side of the bunker with a front pin location well good luck. If the pin is beyond the bunker there are lots of undulations and ridges that throw the ball everywhere on this green. The green tilts back to front generally. You can score on this hole but if you get too aggressive you invite an ugly score pretty quick.

Hole 10 tee shot
1709755307198.png

Green on hole 10

1709755397921.png

The bunker on the green at 10

1709755486324.png

1709754878433.png

Please make sure you call WeeKoPa before 3/15 to reserve your spot.

Please make sure you call WeeKoPa before 3/15 to reserve your spot.

To we need to call for golf also or just if we are staying at resort

To we need to call for golf also or just if we are staying at resort

I am just playing golf (not staying on property) and called to let them know. He will take your card info and golf will be billed through that vs paying at the course.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be out for this. I'm f***ing gutted but it's just not going to work out for me. This sucks.....😪

Unfortunately, I'm going to be out for this. I'm f***ing gutted but it's just not going to work out for me. This sucks.....😪
Aww damn. That sucks. Hope all is alright.

Back