JDax’s 2021 Iron Search

Which 2021 Iron Set will Win a spot in my Bag?

• Srixon ZX5

Votes: 35 19.8%
  • Cobra RAD Speed OL

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • Cobra Forged Tec OL

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • Mizuno JPX 921 Forged

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • XXIO X

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Callaway New Apex Line (Assuming there is one)

Votes: 33 18.6%
  • Callaway Apex CF19 (Incumbent)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Ben Hogan PTx Pro

Votes: 11 6.2%

• Total voters

JDax

The Finley Cooler
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.1
A question by @OITW in the Cobra RAD Speed Thread got me thinking, if 2021 is going to be “The Year of the Iron” what are the odds that I don’t switch irons?

Switching Iron sets in 2021 is a big betting favorite, so let’s have some fun with it and see what The THP Universe thinks.

Let’s get started...

About me:
Handicap- GHIN 10.5
Swing Speed- 98-105 MPH (Driver Average)
Normal Ball Flight- Mid-High
Normal Miss- Left of Joseph Stalin
Previous Iron Sets Played- Cleveland TA7, Callaway X-16, Callaway X-18, Callaway X-24, Callaway X2Hot, Callaway Apex CF16, Callaway Rogue Pro, Callaway Apex CF19, Ben Hogan PTx Pro

Here is how it is going to work. I’m going to test the following iron sets out:
Srixon ZX 5
Callaway New Apex Line (assuming they are coming) #SoftSpot
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged
Cobra Forged TEC OL
Cobra RADSPEED OL
XXIO X
Ben Hogan PTx Pro

I am looking for my next set and these are the finalists.
In the coming weeks or months (depending on release cycles) I’m going to attempt to hit all of these with the same shaft (Danny Le might be consulted).
I will hopefully get a chance to hit them back to back all together.

I'm leaving no stone unturned, I’m on a search for the best set for me. I have tried some of these irons already, but not together, so I’m looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Again, my goal is to hit them all with the exact same shaft, due to the fact that UST Mamiya’s Danny Le has fit me into an iron shaft recently as my gamer shaft (Last month’s UST Mamiya/Ben Hogan Event) and then pick a winner and put them in play for 2021.

What do you think THP Universe , which one will win and why?

90E61632-C2BA-435C-808D-AAFF8F941D95.jpeg

Last edited:
2021 Apex Pro will be the best irons ever made, assuming they improve on the 19 Pros.

So new Apex is my vote.

• Staff
2021 Apex Pro will be the best irons ever made, assuming they improve on the 19 Pros.

So new Apex is my vote.
Good pick ... The Apex line holds a #SoftSpot for me & the CF19s are the incumbent.

Lots of good options. Does your head win out over your eyes... that's the big question I think.

Reactions: JB
  • Staff
Votes are coming in...

New Apex line is winning right now. Seems to me you should stop the count right away....

;)

• Staff
Lots of good options. Does your head win out over your eyes... that's the big question I think.
Will the data be so close that the tie goes to the eyes?

Interesting. Why those iron set options?

I mean heck, anything on that list looks and sounds pretty awesome. Just for fun I'm gonna pick the srixon. The cobra OL is just something intriguing to me. Good luck with the search!

XXIO X I think you will find pureness in these....

I like that you're bringing the forum in on this. I voted Cobra RAD Speed OL cause @JB said you would need your head examined if you didn't play those.

Considering the positivity surrounding the rumored Apex line, I’d definitely hold out a bit to make your decision. ;)

Interesting you're considering OL in the Cobra Options but everything else is VL. Do you honestly expect to give OL a fair shake, or is it mostly a curiosity? FYI it will probably be hard to 'test' the OL since most fitting only hit a 6i or a 7i. There is a good post about how to test your suitability for OL if your interested prior to fully committing.

Interesting. Why those iron set options?
For a variety of reasons:
The last iron search ended with a decision between the Apex 19s & 585s with the Apex winning out by a hair. So I want to give the ZX5s a good look.

I’ve hit the RAD Speed OL with great results, can’t wait to try the Forged Tec OL, because I’ve hit the variable length Forged Tec very well in the past.

The Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pros are probably the best iron I’ve hit all year, the 921 Forged because am a snob (lol).

I’ve never played a XXIO club, but @Danimal is a big fan, so throw that in the mix.

And of course, if the Apex line is updated, I’m going to take a hard look, see the list of irons that I played over the years. Also, since 2017, Callaway gets first right of refusal for any spot in my bag.

Interesting you're considering OL in the Cobra Options but everything else is VL. Do you honestly expect to give OL a fair shake, or is it mostly a curiosity? FYI it will probably be hard to 'test' the OL since most fitting only hit a 6i or a 7i. There is a good post about how to test your suitability for OL if your interested prior to fully committing.

I absolutely think I can give the OL a fair shake, the idea holds water. @jlew2144 has the Speedzone OL and loves them.

I think the interesting thing will be is if the OL just flat out beats the other sets, will I get cold feet?

Srixon ZX5....Mainframe tech looks like the real deal!

For a variety of reasons:
The last iron search ended with a decision between the Apex 19s & 585s with the Apex winning out by a hair. So I want to give the ZX5s a good look.

I’ve hit the RAD Speed OL with great results, can’t wait to try the Forged Tec OL, because I’ve hit the variable length Forged Tec very well in the past.

The Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pros are probably the best iron I’ve hit all year, the 921 Forged because am a snob (lol).

I’ve never played a XXIO club, but @Danimal is a big fan, so throw that in the mix.

And of course, if the Apex line is updated, I’m going to take a hard look, see the list of irons that I played over the years. Also, since 2017, Callaway gets first right of refusal for any spot in my bag.

Here is a question.. Have you considered mixing? Or are you apposed to such an idea? If you go one length then you options get more limited. But other wise would you consider a mixed set?

I absolutely think I can give the OL a fair shake, the idea holds water. @jlew2144 has the Speedzone OL and loves them.

I think the interesting thing will be is if the OL just flat out beats the other sets, will I get cold feet?
Yeah there are quiet a few vocal THP'ers that have made the OL switch and aren't looking back at all, and the 2020 cobra lineup holds up against any other lineup. I'm a lover of the FT OL, but hearing the cobra guys rave about the pending Rad Speed irons has me really excited. I'm hoping it shows off in your tests, so we can all see what temperature your feet are :ROFLMAO:.

Yeah there are quiet a few vocal THP'ers that have made the OL switch and aren't looking back at all, and the 2020 cobra lineup holds up against any other lineup. I'm a lover of the FT OL, but hearing the cobra guys rave about the pending Rad Speed irons has me really excited. I'm hoping it shows off in your tests, so we can all see what temperature your feet are :ROFLMAO:.

He is lucky in that he has already played multiple sim rounds wiht the new Radspeed OL irons that I am using.

Here is a question.. Have you considered mixing? Or are you apposed to such an idea? If you go one length then you options get more limited. But other wise would you consider a mixed set?
I know some don’t have a problem with mixing, looking at some of the signatures on here.

I have some mix in my bag now, mostly Callaway, but there is a Srixon hybrid & Cleveland wedges.

I think the key is, if one of the OL sets wins is how do you set up the rest of the bag, does that include OL hybrids too? What about the bottom of the bag?

Mizzy forged get my vote. The forged tec would have won out if they were variable length

If it has ANY chance it in his bag, it is because it is OL.
He is about to join the revolution.

Back