NEWS Justin Rose Removing Honma Clubs

X.Man

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 13.5
Then I guess I would say don’t sign a contract to get paid to do that, right?
With that said, the reason that this one is so interesting is it reminds me a bit about a kid signing on to play for a school and then the coach leaving before he gets there.

The flip side being that he is a professional and charges a lot to use his likeness. He pimps grips, clubs, and everything else under the sun for a fee and there is nothing wrong with that. But if you sign on the dotted line, barring them violating that somehow, play it or give them the money back.
Kind of reminds me of this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
But if you sign on the dotted line, barring them violating that somehow, play it or give them the money back.
i'm sure there are some financial penalties for breach, and that's fine. but if you're saying he should give ALL the money back, i'm not sure that's fair. his likeness gave honma the ability to grow and market themselves to be a larger force in the western and maybe European markets. there was mutual benefit. maybe a prorated penalty.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
i'm sure there are some financial penalties for breach, and that's fine. but if you're saying he should give ALL the money back, i'm not sure that's fair. his likeness gave honma the ability to grow and market themselves to be a larger force in the western and maybe European markets. there was mutual benefit. maybe a prorated penalty.
Absolutely. To play devil’s advocate, let’s say you sign a player and you are working with in a slow build towards the big climax of a launch. He is working wearing the logo during that time, but the payoff hasn’t come yet. What do you do?

The damage from walking could be much larger than any logo wearing and minor appearances that have been done to date, right?

I want to note I am speaking hypothetically.

troyefl

Jax, FL
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
So what does Rose have in the bag this week?

DataDude

That's Just Like Your Opinion Man
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Interesting he is still wearing Honma logo on his hat.

badolds

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
Any update on this?

DataDude

That's Just Like Your Opinion Man
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

HarlettoScara

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I just want to note that every player who started doing that stupid hitch backswing thing to draw the club back to hip level, look at it, and then readdress the ball before swinging has had a drop off or substantial drop off of their play over the last year. Rickie, Spieth, and Rose all do it. Justin Thomas quit doing it and got better. I would look there to blame something 😂
That is something that my instructor is getting me to do with the driver to make sure the face isn't wide open.....I am going to have to stop doing it before my game falls completely off a cliff :ROFLMAO:

KY Golfer

Team Paradise 2020
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Bourbon
I have no idea what clubs he’s playing or not playing but here is a photo from yesterday’s round at The Players. Looks like Cobra Fwy at least being tried.

8A625D15-2C45-4F17-B9F4-01E609099C82.jpeg
(Photo courtesy of theplayerschamp on Instagram)

Last edited:

Jman

Golfing Equipment Reviewer
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
He is not playing their clubs, but is rocking their logo. I have no idea what that means.
Means things are likely being tidied up in court I would guess.

rallo

#FYF
Reaction score
Handicap
goodenough
I have no idea what clubs he’s playing or not playing but here is a photo from yesterday’s round at The Players. Looks like Cobra Fwy at least being tried.

View attachment 8931497
Now i see the problem (his top button is buttoned). Gotta let the neck breathe, JR!

93civiccpe

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Means things are likely being tidied up in court I would guess.
I believe JB and others have suggested that there will be a press release at some point in the near future.

Hamfist

I fluff my gimmies.
Reaction score
Handicap
30+
If it were only the clubs, I am kind of baffled that a maker couldn't produce an iron, or whatever club it may be, that would be an exact representation of what the player envisioned.

Bryndom

2020 Titleist Vokey Experience Participant
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 18
It’s a terrible sign for Homna, for Rose, I think it’s an acknowledgement that he made the agreement initially for $$ and not because of loyalty or performance.

No idea where he ends up but if he’s looking, PXG just lost a few names with their restructuring....

MSGOLF

Reaction score
Handicap
Honma for the most part makes as good a club as anyone else out there in my opinion. I've had people that play Mizuno, Titleist and Taylormade irons hit my 737p's and tell me they'd consider switching they felt and performed so good.
It seems to me just about every player that switched to PXG took quite awhile to adjust to them and play well. I can't remember any of them winning almost immediately when they switched the way Rose did with Honma.
That said this just can't be good for Honma andRose's reputation takes a hit too in my book

doctormizuno

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
When these guyssign an equipment contract, i think their must be a provision with language that allows
an exit. Bubba signed with Volvik and took an exit and went back ti the Titleist ball. Normally you see guys
changing at the end if the year, but I'm sure their are other cases where guys quit mid season, not just
currently come to mind other then the example mentioned regarding Bubba.

X.Man

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 13.5
is the verdict still out?

LICC

Reaction score
We don't but I'm just implying his play probably will not improve solely due to a change in equipment
It may or may not. Can't really tell at this point. These guys play at such precise margins of error that the equipment could really affect their results.

LICC

Reaction score
That is something that my instructor is getting me to do with the driver to make sure the face isn't wide open.....I am going to have to stop doing it before my game falls completely off a cliff :ROFLMAO:
It is annoying to watch. You would think they could do it on their practice swing before they set up over the ball.

milehighgolfer

Hacking at Altitude
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
To bad the season has been delayed. It would have been interesting to see if his performance improved immediately after switching clubs. Otherwise it would have been hard to argue the problem lied with Rose and not Homna.

My XP-1's are a full club longer than my Mizuno Hot Metals BTW. I got to believe that the clubs they designed for him were a perfect fit for him.

HarlettoScara

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It is annoying to watch. You would think they could do it on their practice swing before they set up over the ball.
Or maybe they find it works better like that, and aren’t that concerned about how their swing looks to others 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: JB

X.Man

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 13.5
Do you think this whole situation got "saved by the bell" (Covid-19)?

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in