Kuchar - Mayakoba Caddie Drama - Your Take?

Here's my thought. Matt agreed to $4000.00 caddy fee. After he wins, he added another $1000.00. Who's to say Matt didn't give his caddy another $45,000.00 privately. If the added 45K was made public, the caddy's house would have been robbed that night, either buy bad guys or the police.

Only 2 people know the truth, Matt & his caddy. Matt Kucher has always displayed integrity, honesty and truth his whole career. I'm betting Matt made it right.

I'm not sure how anyone who thinks Kuchar is in the wrong here can actually function in their day-to-day lives. Its gotta be tough knowing that there are all these insanely wealthy people out there who dont adhere to your rules of payroll, despite them doing nothing wrong, fulfilling all obligations, and even paying above and beyond.

This sort of entitlement is why there are so many horror stories of peoples lives getting ruined after winning the lottery. Friends and family all want their Million or you are cheap, selfish, and despicable.

I'm on the total opposite side of this. I'm not sure how anyone who thinks Kuchar is right can be a decent person. It's as if I'm in a 3rd world country and get a bill for 9.85 for a muffin and a coffee & leave the barista .15 and think they should be grateful because most ppl don't tip. It's cheap and it's a slave-masters mentality to say someone else should be grateful while I just won 1.3 m and that person helped me in doing so.
Leave all that out and it's super dumb optics wise to take the stance Kuchar is taking and I promise you his PR takes a hit big time.
Also, I don't believe for one second that Matts agent went behind his clients back and offered more $ and that it came from Kuch to squash this. I do think the caddie should have taken the 15k and is also being petty. I respect your post but I 100% disagree with it

Here's my thought. Matt agreed to $4000.00 caddy fee. After he wins, he added another $1000.00. Who's to say Matt didn't give his caddy another $45,000.00 privately. If the added 45K was made public, the caddy's house would have been robbed that night, either buy bad guys or the police.

Only 2 people know the truth, Matt & his caddy. Matt Kucher has always displayed integrity, honesty and truth his whole career. I'm betting Matt made it right.

You're 100% wrong. That could have been a viable though months ago but both sides have publicly said it's not the case and there's no way Matt is taking this heat if he'd paid him the 50k. No chance

I'm on the total opposite side of this. I'm not sure how anyone who thinks Kuchar is right can be a decent person. It's as if I'm in a 3rd world country and get a bill for 9.85 for a muffin and a coffee & leave the barista .15 and think they should be grateful because most ppl don't tip. It's cheap and it's a slave-masters mentality to say someone else should be grateful while I just won 1.3 m and that person helped me in doing so.
Leave all that out and it's super dumb optics wise to take the stance Kuchar is taking and I promise you his PR takes a hit big time.
Also, I don't believe for one second that Matts agent went behind his clients back and offered more $ and that it came from Kuch to squash this. I do think the caddie should have taken the 15k and is also being petty. I respect your post but I 100% disagree with it
I find this post offensive. Decent people can have differences of opinion. The fact someone disagrees with your POV does not make them a bad person.

How does one claim they respect someone's opinion, but also say they aren't a decent person? That's kind of rough.

Comparing an agreed upon rate to a tip to a barista makes zero sense as far as I'm concerned.

How does one claim they respect someone's opinion, but also say they aren't a decent person? That's kind of rough.

Comparing an agreed upon rate to a tip to a barista makes zero sense as far as I'm concerned.

It’s a bit of a leap....

Fair enough. At the end of the day It sounds like we just view the world through different lenses.

And as for me being a decent person? I'm probably not, but I do my best.

Fair enough. At the end of the day It sounds like we just view the world through different lenses.

You sir, are a peach. And no one shall say otherwise.

Still remember my 9th grade economics class. The birth of Capitalism. Supply & demand. The right to spend money at one business & not another. Companies keeping each other honest by self regulation. Bad product, business goes out of business. Competition.

Here is a crazy thought, and I mean really outside the box thinking here, but if said caddie isn’t happy w/ the arrangement then don’t work for said player again. I know, I know....crazy thinking but just a thought. Next time Kutch is in Mexico or anywhere else needing a caddie......don’t caddie for him. Stop trying to make it right people. It will take care of itself....IF TRUE.

I didn't proofread and typed with emotion as someone who has been in the service industry to put myself through college and made. MY livelihood so it's a hot issue for me, I apologize for saying you can't be a decent person as I don't know you. I just can't fathom tipping someone .15% & thinking it's ok but again it's ok for us to disagree. I'm sorry

Both provided a service and his xtra $1000 actually amounts to exactly a tip.

Both provided a service and his xtra $1000 actually amounts to exactly a tip.

first of all, you're not raising the out of pocket price of a coffee based on how delicious it is, or how effective it is in waking you up.

Second, I'm not all that concerned with how we're defining the bonus provided to the caddy. End of the day, it was more than he was owed based on the agreement that was arranged prior to anything happening.

I didn't proofread and typed with emotion as someone who has been in the service industry to put myself through college and made. MY livelihood so it's a hot issue for me, I apologize for saying you can't be a decent person as I don't know you. I just can't fathom tipping someone .15% & thinking it's ok but again it's ok for us to disagree. I'm sorry
It's all good man!

I think the most surprising aspect of this whole discussion is how polarizing it is, even among people who are otherwise like-minded.

first of all, you're not raising the out of pocket price of a coffee based on how delicious it is, or how effective it is in waking you up.

Second, I'm not all that concerned with how we're defining the bonus provided to the caddy. End of the day, it was more than he was owed based on the agreement that was arranged prior to anything happening.
Not necessarily. Like I said earlier, Kuch and his caddie have stated different amounts that were agreed on. And Kuch himself didn't say anything about a win, just a top 10. Nobody will know for sure what was really agreed on and Kuch will maintain his stance as the media damage is already done.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If he had just kicked the guy $20k-$30k no one would be talking about this. For what he won that amounts to a rounding error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good lord 692 posts. I’m really hoping it blows up one more time so we can break 1,000 on this story. Unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still remember my 9th grade economics class. The birth of Capitalism. Supply & demand. The right to spend money at one business & not another. Companies keeping each other honest by self regulation. Bad product, business goes out of business. Competition.

Here is a crazy thought, and I mean really outside the box thinking here, but if said caddie isn’t happy w/ the arrangement then don’t work for said player again. I know, I know....crazy thinking but just a thought. Next time Kutch is in Mexico or anywhere else needing a caddie......don’t caddie for him. Stop trying to make it right people. It will take care of itself....IF TRUE.
There's nothing outside the box about your scenario. That is life and how negotiations work. Agree if you like it, pass and look for another option if you don't. Basically like free agency.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This has to have happen many times before.
I'm actually curious about this. Have there really been that many times in recent history on the PGA where the tournament winner was using a fill-in caddy? How predominant is that really?

I don't understand the logic that Kuchar should have tipped more based on the amount of the win. Many have used an analogy of tipping for a service. The flaw is that the negotiated service was for $3000 ($4000 for a top 10) NOT for the $1.3 million prize. Kuchar's tip is then 25% on top of the negotiated contract. That in no way equates to tipping a food server less than 1% on the price of a meal.

It almost sounds like some believe people that make more money should pay more for goods and services simply because they have more money. Should any of you pay more for your groceries than someone that makes less money than you do?

I find it interesting that several have even come out and said Kuchar took advantage of El Tucan.

What am I missing?

So I only heard this briefly on the golf channel a few days ago and can’t find it anywhere in print, but according to someone at the event El Tucan had a bag prior to Kuchar, but he and the other pro had an argument that resulted in him being kicked off the bag. This is when the Kuchar deal was struck and the rest is history.

Makes me wonder if he was desperate to get a bag for the week and took the deal, then wanted more after the win.

So I only heard this briefly on the golf channel a few days ago and can’t find it anywhere in print, but according to someone at the event El Tucan had a bag prior to Kuchar, but he and the other pro had an argument that resulted in him being kicked off the bag. This is when the Kuchar deal was struck and the rest is history.

Makes me wonder if he was desperate to get a bag for the week and took the deal, then wanted more after the win.

Part of me wants this to get legs, part of me wants this whole thing to die off.

Seems super weird.

So much at play here. Gut reaction was he was under paid. I first thought 20k then thought about it and say 30k.

Now I have no problem with 4 or 5k for 10th but seems slightly odd not jump for top 3 and win as is fairly standard. Maybe it was an after thought as it had been a while since he won. In reality this is just as much pr issue as a proper pay issue. I hate the social media if you don't tip well thing but that is the world we leave in today. I think Seinfeld says he tips 100% no matter what when he goes out just to avoid any pr hit. Wilbon from PTI said he talked to some golfers who have played pro and said they were disgusted by the amount. That is probably a good measuring stick, even if most stay out of commenting publicly on it.

I am curious to know if he had 5s and 20s in the envelope because that was all he had in cash or did he just use them to make the envelope larger.

I don't think in a million years he gets dropped from endorsements but I can see this getting used to negotiate for less in the future. Curious to see Sketchers add buy distribution on the only Kuchar commercial, Kuchar and others commercial and the Romo commercial before and after this. Would give an idea on if companies think this makes him lose value.

The closest thing I can relate this to in my life experiences is getting hit up for dealer tips by the tournament director after you bust out of a final table of a live poker tournament. I am in the the tip 3-5% range for that.

On a side note it never even occurred to me that people tip the person who sold me a winning lotto ticket.

I'm actually curious about this. Have there really been that many times in recent history on the PGA where the tournament winner was using a fill-in caddy? How predominant is that really?
i kind of remember that Sergio(?) won a couple of seasons ago and it was in the news that he did not pay him anything. My memory could be off though

i kind of remember that Sergio(?) won a couple of seasons ago and it was in the news that he did not pay him anything. My memory could be off though

Where did you see that? I thought all he said was it wasn't a full amount. The caddie did say he basically didn't do much and Sergio said he will happy withe the amount he got. I thought the amount ended up being 70k or so.

Back