Last club to truly surprise you?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
What was your last big surprise when trying out a club, a positive surprise that is?

• Staff
For me, AiONE Jailbird Mini CH. I cannot believe I love it like I do.

SMS Pros. I wouldn’t have ever thought I’d be in a “players” iron, but I love those things.

• Staff
SMS Pros. I wouldn’t have ever thought I’d be in a “players” iron, but I love those things.
Absolute gems, and as players iron as a players iron can get profile wise haha

DF3, distance control is impeccable.

Lots of good stuff. Lots of stuff I have really liked. The last to truly surprise me? Man… it’s been a min..

I am going to say the Callaway epic.. it was so much better than everything else..

17.5* Ping G425 5 wood. it was and is just a perfect fit for my game. When I upgraded my other fairways to G430's, the 5 wood stayed in the bag. And will for the foreseeable future. I hit two shots today that came out exactly the way I wanted on all three axis.

• Staff
I’ll add Paradym TD, it might be the best driver I’ve ever hit.

Apex UW. Have never gotten along with smaller fairways/hybrids, but that thing is a little beast. Did not expect for it to be as good for me as it is.

Jaws Raw- My wedge game was pretty bad when I got them so I figured I’d kill someone or atleast take their leg out cold shanking it around the green. Now it’s one of my best clubs. Lol

Apex UW. Have never gotten along with smaller fairways/hybrids, but that thing is a little beast. Did not expect for it to be as good for me as it is.
It’s incredible. Absolutely one of the best clubs ever made.

Ever.

Paradym X driver, figured it would be more of the same but it was markedly impactful to my game

Wingman wedges, the offset isn't for everyone but man are these so versatile and solid

Hy-Wood. I thought the Heavenwood was easy to hit, the Hy-Wood took that to another level.

Apex 24 UW. I never have experienced a club that took a weakness and turned into a strength like this one has for me.

Paradym driver.

HM to Cleveland HB Soft Milled.

It’s incredible. Absolutely one of the best clubs ever made.

Ever.
Agreed. It’s stupidly good. I think I need another.

Hy-Wood. I thought the Heavenwood was easy to hit, the Hy-Wood took that to another level.
If not for the UW, the Hy-Wood would 100% be on my list.

2 yrs. ago I got a Cleveland HB soft #11 cs putter and its been in my bag since -- I call it fang love it.

Wilson Dynapower Woods/Hybrid.
Truly shocked how well I hit them.
Right weight and Flex - Clubs and I just "Merged"

Callaway Great Big Bertha driver.

Ping i230 irons. I was shocked how much I liked them and how forgiving they were.

Rogue ST Max driver as well. I wish I could put into words how stupid the performance is that I get out of it

Most recently the Smoke 5W. Two swings and I was hooked. Will be hitting it against my UW today at the range.

Honorable mention to the PING Harwood putter. Thought I'd hate it but man it's super stable.

I couldn't believe the distance gains i got with T150 irons even over same lofted clubs. They are long AF.

Taylormade burner driver. Certainly was a revelation going from 250cc to 460cc.

Honestly, pretty much every modern golf club performs more or less how I expect it to.

Back