After all the rain this week, my yard is covered with leaves. I hate leaves haha

I saw a neighbor the other day take a leaf blower, blow all his leaves into the street and then move over them to mulch them into the bag. Maybe it was some kind of special mulcher that looked like a lawn mower, but I am pretty sure he just put the lawn bag attachment on and mowed right over them and they were all gone.

So I am in North Carolina. I aerated , seeded and put down fertilizer about five weeks ago.Grass came in just ok. Do i have time to hit the areas that dont look so good. And if yes can I use fertilizer and/or lime.

Call your local NC State extension. They should be able to give you all of your options and recommend a best one.

A neighbor on one side of us has a huge oak tree that goes over part of our yard and he doesn't do a damn thing about it. He just lets those leaves fall all over our yard and driveway, drives me crazy! It's also cutting in to our maple tree making it all deformed. His tree is dying too, he needs to just cut that thing down.

This sounds like someone I live with - again! She thinks my neighbor should take care of the leaves that fall into our yard from his maple tree near our property line. She also thinks I should mow a few rows into our other neighbor's yard to make up for the ash leaves that fall into her yard. Never mind that 1) she's half my age; 2) she has a brand new zero turn mower, and I have a push mower; 3) her dad helps her out with the lawn about half the time; 4) she never mows a few rows on my side to take care of the maple leaves that fall from her trees and end up in my yard; and 5) everyone's mower is at a different height and I don't want anybody mowing part of my lawn.

So you are not alone in your eccentricity, GG.

I'm really hoping for three dry days and some winds before the second frost of the season arrives Wednesday. Each and every part of of my property squishes when I walk on it, including places that have never been soggy before.

1635734677182.png

After all the rain this week, my yard is covered with leaves. I hate leaves haha
Ohio needs to chill on the rain... Leaves are everywhere in the back and I'm not blowing wet leaves.

Ohio needs to chill on the rain... Leaves are everywhere in the back and I'm not blowing wet leaves.

I got rid of the two bradford pears we had so I don't have to deal with that now, however, I need to do a final cut...probably tomorrow after work.

rain has been terrible. I feel like it’s rained every other day for the last 2 weeks.

I'm really hoping for three dry days and some winds before the second frost of the season arrives Wednesday. Each and every part of of my property squishes when I walk on it, including places that have never been soggy before.

View attachment 9040460

Looks dry, but Those low 30s and the 28 for the low don't sound too good. But I can't complain. We just had a fairly warm October.

Looks dry, but Those low 30s and the 28 for the low don't sound too good. But I can't complain. We just had a fairly warm October.

We did. For lawn purposes, I'm looking forward to a good freeze or two, to make the lawn go dormant. It's hard to cut it shorter for winter when it's still growing like crazy. Last year, we got ambushed by that 30+ inches before I had a chance to winterize everything and I fought snow mold through mid-June.

But I hope it dries and drains a little because I don't think it would be good for the saturated lawn to freeze for the winter. The back of our lawn is an upslope to street level and it's impossible to walk on my neighbor's part of it without turning it into a mud pit.

My yard really came alive after a dethatch, aeration, and overseed.

The side of my yard was the roughest part, and I busted my ass, and think the results speak for themselves.

You can see part of my neighbors yard and that is basically what mine looked like before all of this work.

250631526_10219372008920561_2532131050137986441_n.jpg

The side of my yard was the roughest part, and I busted my ass, and think the results speak for themselves.

You can see part of my neighbors yard and that is basically what mine looked like before all of this work.

View attachment 9040499

Nice work. I've become a huge fan of aeration. The lawn treatment I use has a soil loosener in it and it's a great supplement to core aeration.

Nice work. I've become a huge fan of aeration. The lawn treatment I use has a soil loosener in it and it's a great supplement to core aeration.

Thanks. I cannot overstate how much I love TTTF.

It is my favorite grass, it stripes SO well and comes in a really nice dark green.

I definitely still have some trouble spots to work through, and some small clumps of weeds (mostly creeping charlie), but I am happy with how far it has come.

Thanks. I cannot overstate how much I love TTTF.

It is my favorite grass, it stripes SO well and comes in a really nice dark green.

I definitely still have some trouble spots to work through, and some small clumps of weeds (mostly creeping charlie), but I am happy with how far it has come.

Agree on TTTF. It makes up most of my new turf. Darker green, grows really evenly, and holds up really well in dry heat. I've tried a few different highly touted things for creeping charlie (ground ivy), but I haven't found anything that works as well as the Weed-B-Bon with the silver cap. For about three weeks, nothing seems to happen, but then it kicks in. I found I need multiple applications to get it under control.

1635779660001.png

View attachment 9040499
That looks good, but you need an edger hahaha.

how in the hell did I miss this thread. I've been wanting to properly get into lawn care. I have a small front yard (2500 sq ft or so) and wanted to reno about 1700 of it. The backyard is what it is (dog and trampoline and lots of trees keep me from tackling it yet).

Back in mid August I started - here's progress through about late september. I'll get a picture of where the lawn is pre-winter (since we can see snow at any point now) later today and add it to the album. Plenty of spots to fill in starting in the spring (i know i should wait until fall but I can try :D). I chose KBG because it'll naturally tiller out too which should help.

Looks great

Speaking of, I am just using a weedeater, do you use a "dedicated" edger. I remember when I used to mow my parents lawn I used one, but haven't owned one myself.

If you do have one, do you recommend it?

Speaking of, I am just using a weedeater, do you use a "dedicated" edger. I remember when I used to mow my parents lawn I used one, but haven't owned one myself.

If you do have one, do you recommend it?
Yes sir. We have a weed eater, but added the dedicated edger and could never go back. It all runs from our same batteries, but the metal blade makes doing it take 45 seconds vs 30 minutes.

I need to get a new leaf blower.

Yes sir. We have a weed eater, but added the dedicated edger and could never go back. It all runs from our same batteries, but the metal blade makes doing it take 45 seconds vs 30 minutes.

Thanks JB, since I am already in the Ego ecosystem for Blower and weedeater, decided to get the edger to keep the batteries the same.

Looking forward to trying it out when it gets here.

I need to get a new leaf blower.
I recommend battery. Love my Ego blower. Battery life and power have been fantastic. They are pricey though...

Thanks JB, since I am already in the Ego ecosystem for Blower and weedeater, decided to get the edger to keep the batteries the same.

Looking forward to trying it out when it gets here.
I came from an older black and decker 18V, where I was lucky to finish my trimming and blowing before. Now I can do both, at least twice, with no issues.

Back