Does anyone have experience with one of these little DIY dethatcher / aerator machines? I like to DIY where I can, so I was looking at trying one of these this fall because I definitely have some thatch issues. But I’ve seen that plug aerators can be better for the yard especially where soil is compacted. Am I better of just hiring someone?
Greenworks 10 Amp 14-Inch Corded Dethatcher, 27022

You might want to look at renting a machine from Home Depot or another renter of such equipment.

You might want to look at renting a machine from Home Depot or another renter of such equipment.
Yea there are rentals out there, but buying would pay for itself in two uses so it’s pretty enticing.

I just came across this - very intriguing. I wish it wasn’t a Kickstarter type thing because I want it now. I refuse to do any more crowd funding things.

How is the grass growing so fast, but still browning?! Yes, I know it’s because of thatch. But still, it’s like 4 rows and then a beer hot out right now. My lines are not very straight and neither is my vision!

Accidentally left the wheels down one setting somehow. Worked out ok.

I'm a little bummed. We've been through a bit of a draught with warmer than usual temps and I'd held off mowing for the last two or three weeks. We finally got some rain late last week and after mowing today, what I thought had been progress with the lawn last year looks just marginally better.

It's both frustrating and challenging at the same time.... kind of like my golf game:ROFLMAO:.

I have a couple of ideas moving forward, but there's a large strip in the yard that has remained impossible to establish.

I'm a little bummed. We've been through a bit of a draught with warmer than usual temps and I'd held off mowing for the last two or three weeks. We finally got some rain late last week and after mowing today, what I thought had been progress with the lawn last year looks just marginally better.

It's both frustrating and challenging at the same time.... kind of like my golf game:ROFLMAO:.

I have a couple of ideas moving forward, but there's a large strip in the yard that has remained impossible to establish.
I know. It’s so frustrating. Everything looks great and then the lawn gets stressed and all the hard work feels like it was for nothing.

It took me about 8 years to get our lawn healthy, just to turn around and destroy it when we tore our house down and rebuilt. Im in year 3 of the new lawn and while it’s looking good, I’m still dealing with ramifications of the new construction. The soil still needs more nourishment with compost and I still have spots that just bake once the heat hits due to shallow construction debris. It’s really bad by the sidewalk.

Yard cut, edged and did a nitrogen treatment on it. It looks good now but with no rain the last week, the treatment should bring out the green.

Yard cut, edged and did a nitrogen treatment on it. It looks good now but with no rain the last week, the treatment should bring out the green.
You use a dedicated edger or edger attachment? I have been edging with a string trimmer, but the edge doesn’t come out as crispy neat as I would like. But I don’t want to pay $70 for a single purpose item.

You use a dedicated edger or edger attachment? I have been edging with a string trimmer, but the edge doesn’t come out as crispy neat as I would like. But I don’t want to pay $70 for a single purpose item.
Dedicated edger with blade. Did string for far too long and then caved. Edging takes 4 minutes now and we have a very large driveway. Can’t believe how long we waited haha.

Dedicated edger with blade. Did string for far too long and then caved. Edging takes 4 minutes now and we have a very large driveway. Can’t believe how long we waited haha.
Sounds like you think it’s a no brainer. I think I am going to have to make the jump and buy the attachment. It was workable before, but with all the new concrete we installed with the outdoor improvements, concrete edges have increased tremendously. Below are some pics of just the back. Front has just as much if not more.

But that grass….I got it looking like a carpet here, and it’s the summer! We have had so much rain lately.

95394EA9-0C4E-4BBF-AAC5-4106B5F2513A.jpeg89701070-CE93-46FE-8FB7-EC2E1F8F80B5.jpeg

Sounds like you think it’s a no brainer. I think I am going to have to make the jump and buy the attachment. It was workable before, but with all the new concrete we installed with the outdoor improvements, concrete edges have increased tremendously. Below are some pics of just the back. Front has just as much if not more.

But that grass….I got it looking like a carpet here, and it’s the summer! We have had so much rain lately.

View attachment 9014849View attachment 9014850
You will be so glad you did. I got a stand alone as part of our Greenworks system and it is a lifesaver

My neighbor is mowing his “grass” with a weed whacker, and all I can thinking about is whether he is flinging weed seeds towards my yard.

just got my Milwaukee M18 weed eater and edger. Looking forward to using this combo

CAEA2655-10EC-4915-A166-3205F54DBD5F.jpeg

Mowed yesterday. Rain last night and today. Great feeling!

Time to get a new push mower. I bought my existing mower somewhere around 1993. It has a cast aluminum mulching deck and still fires up with a couple of pulls. I'm not sure if it's lost compression over the years, but it just doesn't cut very well. I worked on it a bit last week, sharpened the blade and have been using it to mow certain sections of the lawn. When I finished up the lawn with the Deere rider, there's a substantial difference in cut quality.

Been doing a fair amount of research and if they become available any time soon, this is what I'm looking at as a replacement.

Time to get a new push mower. I bought my existing mower somewhere around 1993. It has a cast aluminum mulching deck and still fires up with a couple of pulls. I'm not sure if it's lost compression over the years, but it just doesn't cut very well. I worked on it a bit last week, sharpened the blade and have been using it to mow certain sections of the lawn. When I finished up the lawn with the Deere rider, there's a substantial difference in cut quality.

Been doing a fair amount of research and if they become available any time soon, this is what I'm looking at as a replacement.

Excellent choice We hae three of the 217 series in our family and we all love them.

Excellent choice We hae three of the 217 series in our family and we all love them.
I think part of my research included a recommendation from you a couple of pages back. Lol.

It seems like a good choice. It has a more powerful engine which is important since I plan on using it as a mulcher. I really like the rust-proof deck and bearings for the wheels. I've never owned a self-propelled. It's pricier than I ever thought I'd consider, but whatever mower I end up with will hopefully be the last one.

Trouble is, these things are hard to come by right now.

Have you used it yet? How's it working?

I was very tempted to buy this one, because I can then get the pole saw down the road to manage branches easier than the manual version.m I just couldn't justify the $300+ at this time

It would also be the 3rd or even 4th string trimmer in my arsenal. Even though 2 are busted haha

Back