Leaving the Insert Behind

I go back and forth, but it’s why I prefer a softer feeling milled face when I do. I don’t find it all that difficult as long as the milling does its job to lessen that sound.

So I have been an insert user for close to 20 years now and all of the sudden have this craving for a non-insert putter. Im not sure where it is coming from, other than rolling that Blue Toulon putter last week at the Odyssey Experience. With that said, for those that have made this switch, what were the biggest changes/challenges you faced when making the switch after a long period of time?

The BHB02 moved me away from an insert putter and I honestly haven't looked back one bit. The feel was a bit firmer at first, but now it just feels so natural. Maybe it's natural because it feels more like the rest of my clubs?

This thread is perfect timing as I'm considering moving to a milled putter after playing putters with inserts for over a decade

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've been using my first non insert for about 3 months now. Biggest issue for me was distance. I came up short a lot. Still do on slower greens until i get dialed in.
Never really the other way tho. Never blasting it by the hole. Always short.

I was able to overcome the feel pretty quick. Although at first, it was unusual to say the least.

I had the reverse switch, but finding that right feeling face is huge the EXO putter had that for me

Do we consider the newer Scotty Cameron Select/Futura/Phantom lines as being an insert? They are milled aluminum.

I think the biggest issue I have with an insert putter is controlling distance. I also am generally not a fan of things feeling super soft.

I generally give an insert putter a try for awhile and then move back to a milled putter. I will eventually need to to try an insert blade putter at some point.

The milled faces just feel strange to me, I think it’s something I could get over, but for me there are so many good insert options...

Leaving the Insert Behind

The milled faces just feel strange to me, I think it’s something I could get over, but for me there are so many good insert options...

It’s funny because I’m the exact opposite.

I can count on one hand the inserts I’ve been amazed by for my needs (not a reviews needs) when it comes to feel. But milled putters there’s just so many face milling methods to get the feel I desire.

I think I could get over that long term if I tried, but I love a good milled putter.

I think we have seen some advancements in that area in the past few years, Ping and evnroll come to mind, but for the most part I'd agree with you.
PING has, imo, been killing it in that area.
For me, I jump back and forth throughout the season. When I was a softer feel, I go insert. It's not a massive change for me to overcome.

I think a lot of golfers are this way.

PING has, imo, been killing it in that area.

I look at PING and see quality shapes and a good product. The face though, at least through their messaging has been the same for a decade or so. Tweak here and there, but maybe that is why less and less view them as an innovator in this particular space.

I alternate back and forth between an old Augusta and a White Hot. There is something to be said for both sides of the argument. I'd love to try a higher end, insertless putter at some point to see a better comparison of newer technologies.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It’s funny because I’m the exact opposite.

I can count on one hand the inserts I’ve been amazed by for my needs (not a reviews needs) when it comes to feel. But milled putters there’s just so many face milling methods to get the feel I desire.

I think I could get over that long term if I tried, but I love a good milled putter.

Did you ever try the SeeMore insert for any period of time? I know you like their putters.

I look at PING and see quality shapes and a good product. The face though, at least through their messaging has been the same for a decade or so. Tweak here and there, but maybe that is why less and less view them as an innovator in this particular space.
When it works, it works. Their biggest gains have been in the insert sector though where performance goes with blending that variable groove design, to this day the new Sigma insert is the second best roll and consistency I’ve seen from an insert, behind only the boutique company Flux.

Did you ever try the SeeMore insert for any period of time? I know you like their putters.

I did a forum review on the insert they still use (Del Mar) and also rolled their first insert.

Not all inserts are equal, for sure. They’re an interesting feel and for me just decent performance. Their milled lines are their best, imo.

Also rolled one in the Morgan Cup, I almost forgot that.

I have a wider range than most for feel and sound of putters. About half my putters have an insert and I seem to putt about the same with any of my 30+ putters, insert or not. Currently it’s the O’Works hinge insert but I’m sure in a month it will be something different!

I've recently switched from an Odyssey insert to a Toulon. Consistency with distance control has been the hardest part. A lot of puts left too short. The playing conditions in our area this spring were unusually wet and difficult so I'm sure that compounded things as I transitioned. I have found that when I'm on, it's been much better, so I feel like it's the right thing for me as we get further into the season.

I'm teetering the opposite direction. Having used a milled putter for as long as I can remember, I'm exploring the world of the insert. Also trying a mallet. Really changing it up!

So far, I'm feeling like the contact on a milled putter is more consistent. The insert feels mushy sometimes, slightly clicky sometimes if I catch the edge of the insert and metal. Not a deal breaker. I've left some putts short as I'm still working out the feel and the need to put just a little more umph into the stroke.

I'll be damned if it doesn't seem like my 3 putt avoidance has really improved. Now that I've adjusted to the change in speed, my lag putting is much better. It's really opened my eyes. Could be that insert tech has improved that much since the last time I played one. Who knows.

Once I feel really comfortable with it, I'll put my milled putter back in play. If it feels like putting on my favorite pair of sneakers going back, then I'll know.

In my opinion, if you want to move away from an insert an go to a milled putter, there's probably no better company to go with than Toulon. The full face milling on the Toulon Vegas I have is pretty close in feel to the White Hot Microhinge. I was actually really surprised at how soft it felt/muted the sound was.

For me the ball comes off a bit hotter on the Toulon - weirdly I notice it more on short putts than anything. It could be in my head, but others have felt similar.

The thing holding me back is a recent study I watched (and was tested for) that spoke to how often we miss the sweet spot. Were an insert can help with that quite a bit (variable thickness), I am not sure how well the milled does in relation.

Supposedly, milling has evolved to mediate that. I know the Cleveland 2135 TFI I'm using right now is advertised as giving you the same distance for off-center strokes. Is that just marketing? Who knows? But I like the feel of the putter.

I just left an insert putter for a Toulon. The biggest thing for me is distance control. I can be more aggressive with the Toulon as far as stroke goes.

My issue with the insert was feel. On hot days it was great, when it was cooler the putter felt dead.

My Toulon really feels like point and shoot right now. It holds the line really well and I'm enjoying it.

I've never liked the feel of the softer inserts. I like the metal click. I'm a big believer in the Yes! C groove for my putting. I used a Valerie for probably a dozen years, but the shaft got rusty so I decided to try a Mollie as I've always loved the #9 shape. It's an aluminum face with weighting tech built in the body and I absolutely love it.

Edit: already covered, carry on!

So I have been an insert user for close to 20 years now and all of the sudden have this craving for a non-insert putter. Im not sure where it is coming from, other than rolling that Blue Toulon putter last week at the Odyssey Experience. With that said, for those that have made this switch, what were the biggest changes/challenges you faced when making the switch after a long period of time?
.For me, it was finding the correct face-milling. If you like something that copies the feel of an insert, look at more aggressively milled faces.

Milled face all day every day. I’ve tried insert putters here and there including O-works and more recently the Stroke Lab Three but have always putted best over the years with a Ping B-60. Now I have the Toulon Portland with milled face and plumbers neck and I am really dialing this thing in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Taylormade insert is too good to give up on inserts. The Pure Roll Insert is perfect.

Back