jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
No not the kind you consume. Pops on the golf course, dots on the card, strokes, etc. Nobody likes to give them but many like to get them. Obviously they are there to even out the match. Percentages are often used depending on the match and the format. Played a couple matches last weekend where pops were being given on the last 2 holes which is brutal to those giving and then there is the worst offender of all in my opinion...a pop on a par 3!

Whats your favorite way to determine the pops? Do you use a certain percentage you think is fair or is it format/match based?

Do you think pops should be allowed on par 3's?

Paging @Canadan

No not the kind you consume. Pops on the golf course, dots on the card, strokes, etc. Nobody likes to give them but many like to get them. Obviously they are there to even out the match. Percentages are often used depending on the match and the format. Played a couple matches last weekend where pops were being given on the last 2 holes which is brutal to those giving and then there is the worst offender of all in my opinion...a pop on a par 3!

Whats your favorite way to determine the pops? Do you use a certain percentage you think is fair or is it format/match based?

Do you think pops should be allowed on par 3's?

This sounds like my league course where I usually have to give pops the last two holes, and guess what the 8th is a par 3. Brutal.

I think pops should be awarded based on the difficulty of the hole, which includes a par 3. Percentages are based on the format.

In match play, 80% of handicap at most. In stroke play, 100%.

Sure. Strokes fall where they fall. If a par 3 is one of the hardest holes on the course, the high handicapper very well may need a stroke there.

Over here it tends to be different for the different types of competition
I think I have only played in one competition where I was receiving strokes (and I think it was only 1, so basically we were playing straight up) and I eventually lost the match on the 18th hole when I pulled my approach left and hit the path and bounced OB

As long as everyones handicap is genuine (and that is not for this thread) then I have found it tends to give close matches unless someone plays way above or below their usual level

It is there to get the match evened up, so no reason to exclude pops on a par 3 hole. For our league championship we use 80%, and yes one of the par 3.s gets a pop.

It is there to get the match evened up, so no reason to exclude pops on a par 3 hole. For our league championship we use 80%, and yes one of the par 3.s gets a pop.

Depends on whether the course handicap is based on difficulty or differential.

i despise giving pops, mostly because for whatever reason i have convinced myself it is easier for a higher handicap to beat his handicap than it is for a lower handicap to beat his. i also hate the idea of popping off the lowest cap, though i can't ever really articulate why.

all of that said, as little match play as i have played, almost every time the pops work themselves out almost perfectly. when both guys are playing somewhat to their respective abilities, the match ends up very close.

i have no problem with a pop on a par 3. where i have a bigger problem is in how holes are ranked, particularly par 3s. i've run into some real headscratchers over the years.

I think pops should be awarded based on the difficulty of the hole, which includes a par 3. Percentages are based on the format.

I agree with this except the par 3's. On the par 3's where I have seen this come into play they were forced carries over water or marsh which makes them difficult I get that but both times I saw the high cappers hit the green and have a chance at a net ace, I don't think that is fair at all.

I really enjoyed the format we used last weekend where I believe it was 80% and natural birdie beats net birdie. Made for a fun and very even match.

Pops are dumb and should be maxed out at 0.5 per hole.

In our league, the first four weeks are used to establish a baseline (admittedly they are trusting your league cap from last year or what you report if you are new to the league) and they recalculate every two weeks after to reflect how you are playing and keep the caps as honest and correct as possible. In that sense I think they are fine and my last couple matches came down to the last hole, I tied one and lost one.

In fun games it can be a crap shoot and it's why I have a hard time betting with my friends. It's a he said/he said of what the caps are and everyone wants more than they should have. We have some tournaments where they group flights by caps and play straight up (I think these are pretty fair) and others where they combine and play less than 100% that seem to work unless a high cap guy like myself gets in a groove.

Outside of that I'll take my 25 pops all day, should probably be 27 right now, I earned them with some really bad golf. If we're not betting it's no big deal to either of us.

Pops should never be allowed on par 3's

Sure. Strokes fall where they fall. If a par 3 is one of the hardest holes on the course, the high handicapper very well may need a stroke there.

This entire answer has my vote. I’m hoping pat 3 pops are few and far between but some courses have holes that need them.

Hah I feel like I just responded in the other thread about Match Play.

I dislike anything about pops. The only time I've ever played Golf where pops were given or taken was at a THP event, in that instance, sure pops are fine, I guess, to make it more fun.

If I'm going against a scratch golfer and he beats me 9&8. Big deal.

If someone is complaining about not enough pops then just scrap the whole idea and play stroke play.

I’m all for pops.

I agree 80% matchplay and 100% stroke play

Depends on the Par 3 with pops

I liked @Canadan idea of gross birdie or better trumps net birdie or better

I’m all for pops.

I agree 80% matchplay and 100% stroke play

Depends on the Par 3 with pops

I liked @Canadan idea of gross birdie or better trumps net birdie or better

the funny part was... I think only @JDtox benefited from that rule.

I don’t understand this. What do you mean? A max of 9?

The 9 isn't important. The key part is if you win the hole straight up you still win the hole no matter what.

I agree with this except the par 3's. On the par 3's where I have seen this come into play they were forced carries over water or marsh which makes them difficult I get that but both times I saw the high cappers hit the green and have a chance at a net ace, I don't think that is fair at all.

I really enjoyed the format we used last weekend where I believe it was 80% and natural birdie beats net birdie. Made for a fun and very even match.

I don't think it's unfair though. I know plenty of golfers who don't score well on par 3's because there is so much stress on that 1st shot.

The 9 isn't important. The key part is if you win the hole straight up you still win the hole no matter what.

So, what's the point of a scratch golfer playing a 15 handicap in a fun match?

I agree!

Back