CONTEST Live Update Thread: The GOAT Cup with Callaway Golf

I wish I had taken more photos for you guys. It's a tough act to juggle though.

Oh, I know that issue firsthand, but you guys did great.

It has ROCKETED up my list of "must play" places.

Oh, I know that issue firsthand, but you guys did great.

It has ROCKETED up my list of "must play" places.
It's probably in my top 5 courses played between the location, the layout, the landscape, and the amenities. Unreal.

It's probably in my top 5 courses played between the location, the layout, the landscape, and the amenities. Unreal.
The combination of all of that is what made it truly special for me. Also helped that it felt like we owned the place out there, believe I saw only 2 other groups on the course during our 2 days while playing.

My favorite part about this picture, is that our caddie Tom is actually talking with @smgoldstein, who is about to hit a gem out of a bunker. That's the kind of steep that this hole was, and it was AWESOME.

1660747347271.png

The false front on this hole was crazy. Tom is on the green fixing my pitch mark where I landed.

I almost spun it back into the rough down the hill where I am walking

View attachment 9113024
That’s insane. That looks like a good land spot from my angle, almost in a little hollow?

Overall … the contours of this course, the looks, the scenery all combine to boggle me. And Callaway golf is rad for putting this on. Shoutout to @JasonFinleyCG and @AT_CG for wicked good time. I’m seriously impressed by this THP magic. Pretty fun to watch both squads living the dream. 👊🏻

So, @BuckNasty have been experience buds for a few years, after having won a Morgan Cup together. It was a great thing to see his name get pulled to join Team Tudor, and we immediately started getting fired up about the process.

While we have yet to golf together, Bucky brings a level of energy to the table that you just want to be a part of. He picked up my slack off the course with the food pics, and his volume level during poker was hilarious, which turned up or down depending on chip stack hahaha

I'm just glad to know you buddy, and pumped we got to share another event together.

I'm not sure you could get much more of a wildcard than @ccjimmy2001 hahaha - After a couple of unfortunate departures from Team Tudor, we welcomed Jimmy to the team and he hit the ground running with his glorious madness. If you want to get an idea of who he is, just check out the Goat shirt he picked for dinner while the other three of us were in the slow lane hahahaha - He took a train. He did a brewery crawl to the event.

Long story short, he was a GREAT cartner to have. Lots of fun to be around, willingly vocal about how insane this experience was (which I love hearing), and offered up a couple of compliments at the right times about my content on THP which meant the world to me.

Glad to have met you, buddy - now post more on THP 😄

Stock Stu. Steady Stu. Mr Fairway. PokerStars dot net, etc etc hahaha

@smgoldstein hit every shot out there. Super steady, low stress golf, which is soooooooooo rough to play against in matchplay! It is always really interesting to see the lower caps at an event and how they've managed that number, and he's no exception. He'll just beat you down with fairways and greens, and par you to death.

Also had a blast chatting with him during the evening putting session, and I now am either owed like 10k or owe 10k for the contest haha - can't remember. Loved that my good man - was very fun.

I actually had the opportunity to meet @pumbaa twice this week, which was pretty cool. The first time I met him, he didn't have his best, and I know that is SUCH a hard thing to battle on a course that is welcoming, but also unruly when you're off. But enough of that, let's talk about the second time.

If Pumbaa1 met Pumbaa2, he'd have asked for lessons from him. My dude hit AWESOME shots on day 2, including some net birdies (the one on 9 was a really great moment for me buddy), and some net pars after finding a bit of trouble early and recovering like a champ.

Long story short, I am SO impressed with the way you battled back man - You should be proud of that and I really hope you can build on it!

This was a fantastic trip. I am glad that the matches were fun. I am glad that everybody had a good time. I am glad that the food was fantastic and the amenities lived up to what we had said previously. Most of all I am glad that people got to spend time with Jason and AT because they are such great ambassadors for the game and the gear.

To the rest, it's pretty simply written, but hard to fathom.

We had two guys from Callaway, the legendary @JasonFinleyCG and the guy who needs a name change to either Go AT or goAT on the forum haha (@AT_CG) who were kind enough to take time away from their families to join us on this adventure, and provide golf balls, and killer prizes. I am so appreciative of you guys, and thrilled that I maintain the upper hand on that darth dude for now.

When I first arrived, @JB and I sat down as we often do to talk about what we would like to accomplish during the event, and how the place sets up for the experience. The way he talks about Dormie Network clubs, and how important it is for him that these experiences absolutely knock THPers socks off... I just wish it could be presented in a way that I get to see it, because it matters SO much. My friend, this has come so unbelievably far in the last decade, and I hope you feel that.

Also, shoutout to @GolferGal for orchestrating behind the scenes, making sure we were well fed, and fielding the barrage of questions leading up to the event. You really are a fantastic human.

Also, it never ceases to amaze me how we can tightrope walk these events with the weather.

The last time I checked Roanoke before leaving, it had rain scheduled from 5pm Sunday to 1pm Tuesday... The exact hours of our visit. That we got all that golf in is so unbelievable, but lines up perfectly with the rest of madness that is a THP event.. No doubt it was touch and go for a bit, but, fortunately for us the crews at Ballyhack, and the quality of the drainage on the golf course, I barely even noticed the fact that the course was getting overloaded with water while we all slept.

To the rest, it's pretty simply written, but hard to fathom.

We had two guys from Callaway, the legendary @JasonFinleyCG and the guy who needs a name change to either Go AT or goAT on the forum haha (@AT_CG) who were kind enough to take time away from their families to join us on this adventure, and provide golf balls, and killer prizes. I am so appreciative of you guys, and thrilled that I maintain the upper hand on that darth dude for now.

When I first arrived, @JB and I sat down as we often do to talk about what we would like to accomplish during the event, and how the place sets up for the experience. The way he talks about Dormie Network clubs, and how important it is for him that these experiences absolutely knock THPers socks off... I just wish it could be presented in a way that I get to see it, because it matters SO much. My friend, this has come so unbelievably far in the last decade, and I hope you feel that.

Also, shoutout to @GolferGal for orchestrating behind the scenes, making sure we were well fed, and fielding the barrage of questions leading up to the event. You really are a fantastic human.

always trying to change everyone's name.

Finally caught up. That was an amazing one to follow along with, thanks to all you guys for posting and keeping us entertained and updated. That course is incredible, the food looked amazing, the swag and pro shop hauls 😍, and the folks from Callaway taking care of THP as always is a classy move. Well played everyone, congrats on a heck of an event! I’ll be revisiting that Apex UW thread again…..

Back