Lofts and Lies off from custom orders?

e1iterate

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Curious to know if it's common to have your clubs lofts and lies be off when you've ordered clubs? Mine were purchased about 4-5 months ago and the lies are 2 degrees up and most were flatter when I checked them. Also, I went with the stock lofts and most of those were off. Some worse than others but found it alarming. I've asked a few friends and one told me his Callaway Apex's came in out of whack out of the box. Another friend tried telling me the machine is off. I know with forged clubs they can move some. What are your thoughts and experiences THP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you just check them, or was it right out of the box that they were off?

I just checked mine. Another friend I asked said his Callaway's came out of the box off.

I am probably pretty naive on this. But I trust the OEMs to get it right. I am assuming that their equipment is more accurate than any loft/lie machine I would use.

Also, not all manufacturers use the same specs for "standard". While it may be off based on who you had check them, they may not be using the same standards the manufacturer does.

Not that uncommon. Nothing against factory workers, but these are just regular old people putting together your clubs and they make mistakes.

The lofts & lies for the last new set of clubs I bought a few years ago were all over the place when I got them. And yes they can change during the course of a season - I always check mine at the very least at the beginning of the season and more than once for my wedges.

I just checked mine. Another friend I asked said his Callaway's came out of the box off.

Not uncommon for them to change during the season....which reminds me.... Out of the box I've not seen it on custom orders, but have seen it off the shelf quite a bit.

Like Hawk said, they're just normal people relying on a machine. I usually get everything checked at the store where I order from and they adjust for free.

I have not checked or heard of anyone having issues with irons but my fitter did have his SM5s come 1* flatter than he ordered. Agree with Hawk that the workers who are pumping out irons constantly are liable to make a mistake.

I have not checked all of them but i usally have at least the 7i checked

I believe anything plus or minus two degrees is acceptable and happens quite often. Another reason i went with component heads.

I got a set of Nike irons from cookie (Still can't thank him enough)and the 3 iron wad 6 degrees of.

Curious to know if it's common to have your clubs lofts and lies be off when you've ordered clubs? Mine were purchased about 4-5 months ago and the lies are 2 degrees up and most were flatter when I checked them. Also, I went with the stock lofts and most of those were off. Some worse than others but found it alarming. I've asked a few friends and one told me his Callaway Apex's came in out of whack out of the box. Another friend tried telling me the machine is off. I know with forged clubs they can move some. What are your thoughts and experiences THP?

When I received my Taylormade Rocketbladez all the lie angles were 2 degrees upright. I ordered from a decent shop but arrived via mail. I am not tall so I figured that was just how they came. But once I took them to my local club for an adjustment they noticed the problem (compared to the TM website specs). So they bent them to 0.5 degree below standard, so a total of 2.5 degrees more flat.

Which isn't good because I really need about -2.0 degrees flat not -0.5.

Complained to the shop that I purchased them off and they sent a couple of boxes of TM Lethal balls for to me (last year).

Yeah not cool to think that things like this can happen.

Metal has memory and if the person doing the bending does not do it right, they can be messed up but I would think all the OEM's have it down. The head needs a good hard smack with a rubber hammer to keep them in place after bending.

Back