Low-Lofted Irons and Hybrids?

tmtitleist411

#covertpondering
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.9
So we talk a lot about getting rid of lower irons on THP, but I'm curious- how many of us play either a 2 iron (or any iron below 20*), or a hybrid somewhere between 15*-18*? If you have played one in the past and no longer do, why did you stop? For those of you who are still playing one, how do you hit them, and what sort of place do these clubs have in your bag?

I'm still playing a 2H, 18*. My irons are 3 and below but I need a club to fill my 240ish range. I was looking at getting a FW but when it came down to it I wanted something I could easily hit off the ground or off the tee. I've actually considered getting rid of my 3i to go with a hybrid as well but just haven't made the leap

So we talk a lot about getting rid of lower irons on THP, but I'm curious- how many of us play either a 2 iron (or any iron below 20*), or a hybrid somewhere between 15*-18*? If you have played one in the past and no longer do, why did you stop? For those of you who are still playing one, how do you hit them, and what sort of place do these clubs have in your bag?

I did briefly. For me, no reason to continue. I fit my bag to hit gaps. I have a driver that I hit fairly well and 2 fairways (one is used for off the tee more than deck, the other the opposite) and then a 3 hybrid I can get out there to fit a gap at a bit over 200 yards carry.

I briefly tried a 15° Mashie 1 hybrid, it launched so low for me that it didn't go any farther than my 3 hybrid. I'm thinking you need to have a certain amount of clubhead speed to make use of a really low lofted hybrid.

I used to play a 17° 2h but it just didn't fit in the bag anymore. I have now gone to a 3h and it fits much better. I did add a 5w this year but I feel it will fit better in my bag than a hybrid will.

Tried low loft hybrids and haven't ever been able to get enough ball height to make them useful.

I used a 2 iron in my old set. I basically only used it off of the tee. When I got my new set I picked up a 3H which I hit a touch further than the 2i and is much more forgiving

My 3iron is 18°. I love it

I've got a 17* 2h, I love it. It is fits the gap for me between my 3 wood and 4 iron with a carry distance of just over 225 yards.

I used to game a 17° hybrid for a specific gap. Now its a 20° hybrid for the same gap. The x2hot pro and adams 20° fill the gap perfectly. Crazy distance gains compared to the 17° the technology advancements jn todays clubs are amazing

I have a TM 11 18* 3hy/rescue which I could never hit very well and when I got my 22* Adams 4hy I could hit it just as far. But today I used my 3hy off the tee and carried over 200 yards. So if I get better at hitting it then it'll work nicely.

I have a 17* 1h in my bag. I generally use it off the tee on shorter par 4's and for long approaches into par 5's. I get it out about 260-270 off the tee with a nice easy swing so its definitely an accuracy club for me.

I have a 17* 3w and 17.5* 3i. The 3i does not see tons of play and I only use it on longer par 3's. Hitting into a green with it is not a good call for me. I hit the 3w about 5-10 yards further so the clubs are more or less interchangeable especially if I lay off a full swing with the 3w. I usually leave the 3i out of the bag. it does see more use in windy conditions since i can keep it fairly low compared to the 3w.

My 910 19* is turned to 18.25* and I mainly use it off the tee for layups and as a fairway finder when it's needed, longer par 3's it's my club for any over 205-210 on the occasion I will attack a par 5 green with it if there ain't much trouble.

I have a 16* Taylormade 2H hybrid. It will carry 225 -235 yards.

Jackal

I hit a 4w pretty high but have been experimenting with irons and hybrids this year in the 245 range to maybe replace the 4w.

Thing I like about the 4w is I can get on it a bit more to ink out a longer distance if needed, the Hybrids just go higher if I give it another gear. Still not sure, trying out a couple new Adams hybrids soon so will see what they can do.

I briefly tried a 15° Mashie 1 hybrid, it launched so low for me that it didn't go any farther than my 3 hybrid. I'm thinking you need to have a certain amount of clubhead speed to make use of a really low lofted hybrid.

I've not tried the M1, but found the same thing with the M2, a Callaway FT-IZ 2H and a TM 2 hybrid. I'm not convinced I hit the 2 any further than I hit the 3, but the 3 is easier to hit because of the shorter shaft and more loft.

I have a played a 2-iron in the past and am probably going back to one this season. I currently play a TM 2H 16* set open, so its closer to 15.25, but its a big draw/hook machine, so I'm looking at going to a utility type iron in the 2 and 3 slot and then into my CB 4 iron.

I carry a TM 2H 16*, it replaced my 3w for approach shots into Par 5's in 2. Found it easier to hit off the deck than the 3w. I get around 240-250yd total distance with this club.

Never had any luck with hybrids below 20˚. I stick to the fairway woods in that range usually. Heck, I've been known to bag a 7W.

Not sure if it's my height (6'1"), swing, or what but long irons/hybrids and I get along well. I've always gamed a hybrid b/t 18* and 19* to fill gap from 3W to 4I and have no trouble with high launch and soft landing. Also play a 21* utility iron which is a great fairway finder for short or tight par 4's. This doesn't get too much play but definitely a mainstay in the bag.

I play the M1 and M2 and hit them well from both the fairway and tee. M1 is longest club I hit from the fairway as I have trouble with fairway woods from tight lies. M1 is primarily a warmer weather club as I probably carry the M2 about the same distance as M1 in cooler temperatures, M1 rolls out a little more than the M2. M1 is a very solid tee club for me.

My brother plays an 18* hybrid with a Project X 6.5 as his 5w/3i he hits it ver easily from the tee and fairway i don't think he will ever take it out of the bag

Used to play strictly irons... even carried a 2 iron for awhile. Ditched the 2-3iron and switched to an xtd 17* and 22* and haven't looked back. I suspect I may be losing a few yards off the deck on the 17*, but it still traveled a bit further on the launch monitor. The 17* also plays very well off the tee on tight holes, or if I'm screwing the pooch with the driver (which is becoming the norm)

I played the Mashie M1 for a while the past two seasons primarily as an off the tee option and really enjoyed it. When I redid the hybrid section of my bag earlier this year, I actually switched to a 2 (18*) / 4 (23*) hybrid set up to clear up some room to carry a fairway wood that I hadn't in the past.

Back