LPGA: SBS at Turtle Bay [spoilers forthcoming]

On ours if you do not have HD, you need to tune to a different channel. For instance 739 is the HD and 67 is the SD.

Ours have the same channel number, but different guide entries on the HD receiver. (You have to enable the "show duplicate entries" option to see both the SD and HD channels.) On my SD receiver though, it just has the SD channels and TGC is there.

That's crazy! I mean, there are TONS of people who don't have HDTVs. You should call your provider and find out what's up.

When you tune to the channel, it just doesn't show anything?

Remember, Geezer's in Ireland. Who knows what protocols are there.

Wie completed her round before the telecast is scheduled to begin in about an hour. -2 for the day, -8 for the tournament, and currently alone in first place.

Angela Park is tearing it up with -4 today (through 15) and moving into T2 with Angela Stanford, who has just started her round.

It looks like conditions were tougher this morning.

Hurst and Lewis also had morning tee times. Hurst is -1 for the day, -3 for the tourney, and T7. Lewis is -2 for the day, -3 for the tourney, and T7.

Pressel is +3 for the day and sitting on the weekend side of the cut-line for now.

Hopefully, we will get a healthy does of Paula Creamer today because of her afternoon tee time, and a smattering of Kellie Kuehne.

Agreed Harry. Apparently from the reports I am getting is that Wie played extremely well based on the conditions.

Agreed Harry. Apparently from the reports I am getting is that Wie played extremely well based on the conditions.

Not taking anything away from Wie, but she grew up playing in Hawai'i. So presumably is used to those conditions.

Some random, unrelated thoughts about the second round:

Michelle Wie - Her round was in the morning, before the broadcast, so there isn't much to say about the golf. But, she did give post-round interviews. In the past, I've been very critical of Wie's less-than-stellar speaking skills. Personally, I had to mute the TV when she starting talking. But yesterday, there were significantly less "ummmms" and "ya' knows," which are Wie's crutches when she is thinking of the next thing to say. Today was not as good. But both days, the content of her answers was 10 times better than anything I remember form the past. I actually laughed out loud when Stephanie Sparks asked her about her thoughts on the first tee as she hit her first shot as a member of the LPGA and Wie's response was "Damn that tree looks bigger than it ever has before." It will be interesting to see how Wie handles being in the final group on the final day. She looks mentally stong, but her history always makes you (well, me anyway) wonder what will go wrong for her.

Stacy Lewis - Like Wie, her round was in the morning and we didn't get to see her today. But she is so mentally strong, that I don't think you can count her out even though she is 5-back of Wie and Stanford.

Paula Creamer
- Creamer looked rusty. But she may have the cutest "smile and giggle" on the LPGA. If she added a hair toss in my presence, I might spontaneously fall to the floor in a pool of my own drool with those little spiral pinwheels in my eyes.
hypnotize2.gif
hypnotize2.gif

Cristie Kerr - I'm not a huge fan, but it sucks to have a calf cramp in front of the world. Especially when someone is shoving a camera in your face while you are trying to stretch it out. Kerr looks like her weight problems are getting worse/coming back.

Angela Stanford - Her shot that rebounded from way left off of one of those skinny polls and back over the cart path and into the fairway was just crazy. Stanford seems to be comfortable winning these days and Wie is going to have her work cut out for her in the final round tomorrow.

Morgan Pressel - Barely made the cut. Same with Christina Kim. Expected better from both of them - Pressel coming off her win in Hawai'i at the end of last season and Kim coming into a Solheim Cup year.

TGC replaced their fun litle "Are You Smarter Than a Rookie?" segment with "Match Play" (one girl tries to get the other girl to say a word giving hints). Not nearly as funny.

Stephanie Sparks looked adorable wearing the David Feherty headphone/antenna/microphone/fanny pack contraption. I also enjoyed her on-course commentary. Nice to see Sparks taking a larger role in the LPGA broadcasts.

What's up with the weird broadcast timing? We don't get to see any of the early tee times, but we also don't get to see the completion of the round either. Hopefully TGC will increase broadcast time from 2 hours to 3 hours.
Really nice to see everything in widescreen HD though.

EDIT: Oh, and does anyone know what kind of duck it was that they showed? It had a white head and neck, red "goggles", and black and green wings. Very cool looking.

Been a crazy few days, so I have only caught dribs and drabs of the broadcast. Damned shame, as I've been looking forward to this tourney for a while. I'll have to go back and watch the DVR sometime next week. Anyway, my thoughts:

Also stoked to see Sparks. Like her. Lots. Though I thought the headset thing reminded me of My Favorite Martian.

Also thought Michele W did much better in the speaking skills. In addition to the "damn ... tree" comment, I laughed when she said her mind was empty on the first tee. Also clearly well schooled on the I earned my way on, I'm a rookie line.

Speaking of rookies, when I looked today Hurst, Lewis, and Wie were all on the front page of the leaderboard. What a great rookie class, and great for the LPGA. Love Hurst by the way. Can't believe she's just a year out of HS. Dent, 907, and AK jr can fight over her.

So I'm interested in seeing what happened with Gulbis today -- she didn't seem herself yesterday, and so far I've not caught today's coverage of her.

Stanford is impressive as hell.

EDIT: And that was post 666, on Fri the 13th to boot, boys and girls. :good:

Last edited:
Gulbis was 1-under today, +1 overall, and is T20.

Either Cockrell or Pepper yesterday said that after the Safeway last season, Gulbis went to the doctor because her back was still hurting. They discovered that she had a fracture in her back and her doctors instructed her to rest. She didn't play again after that. (That's the time that she filmed Celebrity Apprentice - maybe that's why she agreed to do that gig.)

Also, how about 2 girls from Japan (Momoko Ueda and Ai Miyazato) on the first page of the leaderboard?

Angela Park will be in the final group with Wie and Stanford. Love Park's swing - so fluid.

3 hours of coverage tomorrow. I hope Wie holds it together and makes it a good battle. I'm not a Wie fanboy (although I do think she is exceptionally talented), but I really want the Wie-haters to finally shut-up.

Heh-heh. Paula is cranky again today. :giggle:

Nice to see a professional crap a chip like we all do. Tightened the tournament up right there.

Mark Rolfing just said (and Dottie Pepper agreed) that he would like to see all LPGA events end on Saturday. After thinking about it, I believe I agree with that. Start the events on Wednesday (for 72 hole events) and end them on Saturday. It gives the LPGA Wednesday by itself, and doesn't compete with the PGA or Champions tours for a final round audience (or the NFL in the early fall). Tennis already does this with its women's finals the day before the men's.

I like Michelle Wie's shoes. They would be better if the silver part was a brighter color though. Pink today, for example, to match her skort and hat.

Angela Park has hearts on her shirt for Valentine's Day. I can't tell what is written on the back of her shirt though.

Mark Rolfing just said (and Dottie Pepper agreed) that he would like to see all LPGA events end on Saturday. After thinking about it, I believe I agree with that. Start the events on Wednesday (for 72 hole events) and end them on Saturday. It gives the LPGA Wednesday by itself, and doesn't compete with the PGA or Champions tours for a final round audience (or the NFL in the early fall). Tennis already does this with its women's finals the day before the men's.

I like Michelle Wie's shoes. They would be better if the silver part was a brighter color though. Pink today, for example, to match her skort and hat.

Angela Park has hearts on her shirt for Valentine's Day. I can't tell what is written on the back of her shirt though.

Had no idea this thing ended on a Saturday until I just put it on GC and saw they were congratulating the winner. Impressive to see Wie finish second!

Friggin press.

This is the tagline on the front page of ESPN.com

Stanford wins SBS Open after Wie collapses late
of course, when you click on the link, this is the actual headline:

Stanford fights off Wie to win SBS Open
which is accurate. Stanford went on a birdie-fest on the back 9. Wie had no bogies on the front, while Stanford had one. Wie had a double, and a bogey on the back, while Stanford had one bogey.

A one-bogey difference under those conditions (hard wind and rain) is NOT a collapse. Even the broadcasters said "This is not a loss for Wie. This is a win for Stanford."

Farkin' haters. Did they even watch the tournament?

Agreed. Great opening tourny for the year and I think it is a preview of what to expect this year.

capt.e449996cc58041bea45aa17674522a66.lpga_tour_golf_himg106.jpg
capt.cdfabccdfe164010a6479d58c1e65bd4.lpga_tour_golf_himg101.jpg
d2efa6ae27f0c87ef9ff57270f5f091d-getty-84056294al014_sbs_open_at_t.jpg
f5d05d9f8340e317ef2d2f073733b65f-getty-84056294al001_sbs_open_at_t.jpg
5d25128f18376b466dbacbc8c0bbb671-getty-84056294al010_sbs_open_at_t.jpg
c00f8ad2e88208871b630cc4ce7b0ff2-getty-84056294al008_sbs_open_at_t.jpg
cf5221199e22f15f3d60d7cbe882cfb7-getty-84056294al003_sbs_open_at_t.jpg
35480a3b34530390b2dfc27aa7b2460e-getty-84056294al006_sbs_open_at_t.jpg
8e872e5a-595f-4f07-b0a3-38b5733b7487.jpg
87942eb5-569f-4096-8d78-110d10c99a68.jpg

Great pictures Harry.

Anybody else see Creamer snap at her caddie? He was telling her something about how he didnt think she chose the right club and she got mad, threw a fit, told him something like, "LETS MAKE A DECISION HERE" and the proceded to hit the ball about 20' short of the green. Creamer just doesnt impress me and IMO she is far from being the best American female golfer. Yeah, shes a beautifull girl, but that only goes so far. I still think she has a bad attitude and lacks mental toughness. When things arent going her way, she still starts to pout and goes into spoiled princess mode. I really want to like Creamer, but I find it very difficult with how she conducts herself out on the course.
Gulbis just didnt look all that sharp. She was missing a lot of fairways from what I saw. Damn she looked good though. Id really like to see her start playing better.
Not to mention she had her fair share of groans as she missed putts. Obviously she hasnt learned to control her emotions yet.
Great win for Stanford. She simply outplayed Wie and deserved to win. I wouldnt say that Wie choked, she simply got beat. Stanford drove the ball much better and didnt make as many mistakes as Wie did.
Speaking of Wie, I was impressed with her. She seems like she has really grown up, I did get kind of tired of them talking about her all the time though. I think Mark Ralfing (spelling???) has a little bit of a crush on her.
Ai Miyazato played really well. She birdied 3 holes in a row, but was just too far behind to really be a factor. I expect great things for her in the LPGA though. She is a big star in Japan and definetly has what it takes to win.
Not to mention is nice to see an AMERICAN win one of these LPGA tournaments for once.

Check out the ball mark on Paula Creamer's hat.

I think right now Paula is the best female golfer based on her play the last few years. However if I had to pick one to bank on for the next few years it is Wie. It is different for Paula than it is some of the younger girls such as the rookies. She is EXPECTED to win every time out at this point.

I think right now Paula is the best female golfer based on her play the last few years. However if I had to pick one to bank on for the next few years it is Wie. It is different for Paula than it is some of the younger girls such as the rookies. She is EXPECTED to win every time out at this point.
I wouldnt overlook Stanford either. She is a proven winner.
I think the fact that Wie is expected to win every time out is going to get to her after a while, especially if the wins dont come right away.
The longer it takes her to win, the more pressure they will put on her and the more she will force things out on the course.

Back