LPGA: SBS at Turtle Bay [spoilers forthcoming]

I agree that Angela played well on the back nine, but Michelle had a great chance to win this tournament and couldn't get the job done. At the tee on the 11th she was up by 3 strokes. She had a rough hole on 11, hit it into the hazard then after her drop, over the green, tried a flop shot that didn't get to the green and ended up with a double boogey. Two stroke swing on that hole. Angela made 3 birdies in a row 13, 14 and 15 which is when she took over the lead. However, Michelle had a gimme put on 16 to pull with in one and she missed it. At that point it was over and you could see it on Michelle's face. (Did anyone notice here that Michelle walked off the green to the next hole before Angela putted) Angela played well, but Michelle had her chances and she didn't capitalize.

I think this is where Michelle's choices in the last few years are going to hurt her. She does not know how to close a tournament on a Sunday (or Sat in this case) and we have seen this before. She has not won a tournament since 2003 because she never played in the juniors. Experience on Sundays in huge and Angela talked about that, knowing how to win, being there before, has really helped her. Michelle played well and I think she could be a great player, but she needs experience.

I agree that Wie didn't close, but Stanford was the only player on the first page of the leaderboard who didn't falter today in difficult conditions.

Stacy Lewis was +4, Vicky Hurst was +3 and no one has ever suggested that they didn't put in their time before leaping to the LPGA. Even Angela Park, who was in the last group, was 3-over today. Momoko Ueda, who was also on the first page of the leaderboard after 54 holes, was 6-over for the day.

The lowest score of the day by any player today was 69 (3-under), and Stanford shot a 70 (2-under).

Did Wie make mistakes? Yes. The drive on 11 into the hazard was the biggest. The missed short putt probably wouldn't have mattered, but it did look bad. But Stanford wasn't perfect either. On the front 9, she drove a ball WAY left. Yesterday it kicked back into play. Today it did not.

I think the problem is that, because of all the hype (both good and bad), people expect Wie to be perfect. And through the first 10 holes, she was. Every player makes mistakes throughout the round. It's just that, in this case, Stanford made hers before the broadcast started. And then she got as hot as anyone on the course today. Wie made her mistakes in front of a live audience filled with skeptics.

The haters (this is not directed at you Soxy) will always find a way to spin Wie's lack of perfection into something that supports their cries from the past year that Wie can't play. That is crap. She just finished 2nd in her first tournament as a rookie. And she beat the pants off of a lot of seasoned veterans. The haters will shout that she choked . . . that she should have won because it is her home town. But the truth is that this is a woman who finished strong at every tournament she played until she hurt her wrist (which the haters claim was faked, but which now sure looks like it was a real injury based on performance right after the injury, and after she had time to heal.)

I agree that Wie didn't close, but Stanford was the only player on the first page of the leaderboard who didn't falter today in difficult conditions.

Stacy Lewis was +4, Vicky Hurst was +3 and no one has ever suggested that they didn't put in their time before leaping to the LPGA. Even Angela Park, who was in the last group, was 3-over today. Momoko Ueda, who was also on the first page of the leaderboard after 54 holes, was 6-over for the day.

The lowest score of the day by any player today was 69 (3-under), and Stanford shot a 70 (2-under).

Did Wie make mistakes? Yes. The drive on 11 into the hazard was the biggest. The missed short putt probably wouldn't have mattered, but it did look bad. But Stanford wasn't perfect either. On the front 9, she drove a ball WAY left. Yesterday it kicked back into play. Today it did not.

I think the problem is that, because of all the hype (both good and bad), people expect Wie to be perfect. And through the first 10 holes, she was. Every player makes mistakes throughout the round. It's just that, in this case, Stanford made hers before the broadcast started. And then she got as hot as anyone on the course today. Wie made her mistakes in front of a live audience filled with skeptics.

The haters (this is not directed at you Soxy) will always find a way to spin Wie's lack of perfection into something that supports their cries from the past year that Wie can't play. That is crap. She just finished 2nd in her first tournament as a rookie. And she beat the pants off of a lot of seasoned veterans. The haters will shout that she choked . . . that she should have won because it is her home town. But the truth is that this is a woman who finished strong at every tournament she played until she hurt her wrist (which the haters claim was faked, but which now sure looks like it was a real injury based on performance right after the injury, and after she had time to heal.)
I agree. Wie played really well, its just that Stanford played a little bit better. Wie will get her wins, its not a matter of if she will win, its a matter of when.

gams=legs.
Kind OT here, but I guess I dont see it. If you wanna talk about gams, Creamer and Gulbis are waaaaaay better than Wie. :confused2:
Dont get me wrong, Wie is a cute girl, but nothing to get excited about.

I agree with this statement Harry, but I also think you can turn it around the other way. There are some people, like Mark Rolfing, who are going to defend her until they are blue in the face. She is going to make mistakes, it is ok, she can still be a good player.

There are some people, like Mark Rolfing, who are going to defend her until they are blue in the face.
Yeah, whats the guy's deal? He was bragging up Wie like he is in love with her or something...:confused2:

I agree with this statement Harry, but I also think you can turn it around the other way. There are some people, like Mark Rolfing, who are going to defend her until they are blue in the face. She is going to make mistakes, it is ok, she can still be a good player.

Yeah, Rolfing has trouble criticizing any player with ties to Hawaii. He couldn't stop gushing about Tad Fujikawa earlier this year.

In all honesty I wasn't a fan of anything he said during the broadcast. Dottie Pepper is fine, I just feel like she never adds anything to the broadcast. She never really tells us anything that we didn't know or couldn't look up in the history of the player (like past results). I am glad, like a few of you have said earlier, that Stephanie Sparks has joined the broadcast. I would like to see her as an on course commentator.

Anybody else see Creamer snap at her caddie? He was telling her something about how he didnt think she chose the right club and she got mad, threw a fit, told him something like, "LETS MAKE A DECISION HERE" and the proceded to hit the ball about 20' short of the green.

Actually, Colin deserved that one. He talked her out of the club she was going to hit. She switched clubs because of his urging and missed the green short.

Actually, Colin deserved that one. He talked her out of the club she was going to hit. She switched clubs because of his urging and missed the green short.
She still didnt need to snap at him like that. She could, oh gee, I dunno, DISCUSS it with him and explain to him that she thinks its the right club and thats what she is going to hit. She doesnt have to hit a certain club just because the caddie says so. Sorry, but I still think she turns into a spoiled little princess when things dont go her way.
Look at Phil, he never listens to his caddie and Im sure there have been times that Tiger has hit a shot that his caddie didnt think was the right one.

Kind OT here, but I guess I dont see it. If you wanna talk about gams, Creamer and Gulbis are waaaaaay better than Wie. :confused2:
Dont get me wrong, Wie is a cute girl, but nothing to get excited about.

You don't think this girl is beautiful?

michelle-wie-feb13G3_399x600.jpg

I like Creamer better but there's no denying Wie is an attractive girl.

I was just looking at the sorecards and, for anyone who says Wie choked or collapsed . . .

Angela Stanford made 2 bogies ALL WEEK. Both of them today during wet and windy conditions. And she has won 3 times since September. Even people who hate Wie should get over it and give Stanford her due.

And on a completley different note . . . did anyone else notice the earrings that Wie was wearing this week?

michelle-wie-feb13G5_600x399.jpg

2007_AugustaScottyDogHeadcover
2_HatSdogGrfBlk.jpg

9c918738a826bbba889859d100e9c77f-getty-84056294al039_sbs_open_at_t.jpg

Little Scottie dogs. Hmmmmmmmmmm. This is a girl who used to use a Cameron putter and used to wear a Scotty Cameron cap (pre-Nike, of course.)

Verrrrrrrrry interesting. (<---In my best German accent.)

I want a Scotty dog headcover now lol.

I was just looking at the sorecards and, for anyone who says Wie choked or collapsed . . .

Angela Stanford made 2 bogies ALL WEEK. Both of them today during wet and windy conditions. And she has won 3 times since September. Even people who hate Wie should get over it and give Stanford her due.

And on a completley different note . . . did anyone else notice the earrings that Wie was wearing this week?

michelle-wie-feb13G5_600x399.jpg

2007_AugustaScottyDogHeadcover
2_HatSdogGrfBlk.jpg

9c918738a826bbba889859d100e9c77f-getty-84056294al039_sbs_open_at_t.jpg

Little Scottie dogs. Hmmmmmmmmmm. This is a girl who used to use a Cameron putter and used to wear a Scotty Cameron cap (pre-Nike, of course.)

Verrrrrrrrry interesting. (<---In my best German accent.)

IIRC she actually has a Scottish Terrier or used to. Scottis Terrier earings and such have been around a lot longer than his putters. Hell my step mother has some and would not know a Cameron if he gave it to her himself.

You don't think this girl is beautiful?

michelle-wie-feb13G3_399x600.jpg
Meh, shes OK. I wouldnt kick her out of bed for eating crackers, but I wouldnt try all that hard to get with her. For me, it goes: Gulbis, Creamer and Kerr. Ai Miyazato is pretty cute too. Even Morgan Pressel isnt bad, too young for me though.
Keep in mind though, Harry, Im 28 years old, so I kinda feel like a pedophile referring to Wie as, "hot". Also, I like women who have T&A (mostly why Gulbis is my fav, she definetly has T, not so much A though).

I want a Scotty dog headcover now lol.
Got $300+ sitting in the bank collecting interest? Ive seen what some of those more rare Cameron headcovers go for on Ebay and people are nuts!
Wow! What a coincidence! Because I want a hot, female, 19-year old professional golfer!!!!

:D
Good luck with that. :D Your chances of getting with Wie are about as good as my chances of getting with Gulbis or Creamer.

Re: the golf - ;) Michelle's game is just going to get better. Her play looked much more steady than what we've seen previously. This is exciting for the ladies tour. And congrats to Angela Stanford - it's likely she'll give Lorena, Suzan, and the rest some real battles this year.

Agree 100% Rice. It is the best thing for the LPGA.

Have to hand it to skeletor, er, I mean Ledbetter, but W's swing looks much improved. All this prognostication about Creamer being the USA's last best hope also looks premature. No knock on Paula, but she's not alone in the field of top US talen

Speaking of Paula, when Charlotte played with her (and held her own I might add) at the Suncoast, Paula asked her for a Blingo. So I think it may well have been what Harry suggests.

Back