Mental Health: Make it a Priority

I think with everything going on, it's affecting my ability to enjoy golf. I played sunday, the course was packed, people were slow and I left after nine. I wasn't miserable, but I wasn't enjoying it either. I play most rounds by myself as a time to reflect and enjoy nature, but the last couple of rounds I couldn't find that groove and relax. Yesterday I played after work and same thing. I wasn't playing great, course was moving slow and I was getting aggravated at slow play. So either I don't love golf anymore, or I'm just beat down.:confused:

I think with everything going on, it's affecting my ability to enjoy golf. I played sunday, the course was packed, people were slow and I left after nine. I wasn't miserable, but I wasn't enjoying it either. I play most rounds by myself as a time to reflect and enjoy nature, but the last couple of rounds I couldn't find that groove and relax. Yesterday I played after work and same thing. I wasn't playing great, course was moving slow and I was getting aggravated at slow play. So either I don't love golf anymore, or I'm just beat down.:confused:
I totally get this..... too many times i've brought my feelings about the day (totally unrelated to the game) to the golf course and had a much less than enjoyable time. I've started to actively disconnect from my work life once out of the building and also try to let go of any interpersonal issues (and it IS difficult) with the goal of a fresh start when i arrive on course. A lot of times it works, sometimes ..... not so much. Maybe give golf a shot on a day where you're bringing your best outlook with you, and see how it goes. Best of luck with all that's going on.

Keep an eye on your kiddos. I don’t remember the details perfectly but a recent study shows that something like over 30% of teens have clinically diagnosed mental health issues.
I was going to post something along those lines as well-particularly for girls. I see some struggles in my daughter as well as my 14 year old niece. I blame a lot of it on social media and technology.

I was going to post something along those lines as well-particularly for girls. I see some struggles in my daughter as well as my 14 year old niece. I blame a lot of it on social media and technology.
Agree with you on the social media and technology issue. It's difficult enough, even if one is a very engaged parent, to help your children avoid the pitfalls of growing up that tend to give them doubt about their self worth and affect their happiness but, we do our best and look for signs that they might need help that is beyond our capabilities.

The kids that don't get nurturing and support at home? My heart breaks for them.

As the president of a female youth sports organization I have a bit of a unique perspective. We have always had social media - and it is not helpful; the MH issues existed but were more rare. For example, there might be a single girl with social anxiety on a team of 12 players. Now that number is 3-5 and the severity of the MH issues are more debilitating to the kid. My opinion is there is another thing at play but I suspect we don't want to go there as a board so I will leave it at that.

I recall seeing a lot of stuff related to social media where person 1 posts something mean about person 2; or where persons 1, 2 and 3 can be location tracked and person 4 - who thinks she's friends with that group - didn't get invited. Social media is a driver for all kinds of social interaction problems...those mean words or the no-invitation scenarios have always happened between kids but the ramification of it was usually pretty small. Not so much now.

What I see now is more stuff where kids cannot function in group settings / society.

Being swamped can take enjoyment out of everything. Even things we normally love to do. You don't just suddenly stop loving golf. But you can one day cross the threshold, where things are hard to enjoy.

I have faith in you and golf finding the spark again 👊

Ya know, some days (or weeks) are just really, really hard and overwhelming. And seasonal depression is really, really a thing.

Had our first couples therapy session yesterday. I think it'll be helpful in getting to address some other issues too.

Things just aren't getting better, I have my first appointment Thursday. I could have easily kept pushing it back and trying to fix it on my own, but at a certain point, it's really easy to get overwhelmed and ultimately get in a bad spot. I definitely didn't want to get to that point.

Things just aren't getting better, I have my first appointment Thursday. I could have easily kept pushing it back and trying to fix it on my own, but at a certain point, it's really easy to get overwhelmed and ultimately get in a bad spot. I definitely didn't want to get to that point.
Sorry to hear! But also great to hear that you've booked an appointment and getting help with it. Too often we push on solo for way too long and only realize after the fact that we should have seeked help long ago.

As someone that worked in children's mental health for 20 years and is married to a psychiatrist, couldn't agree more with the sentiment. Glad to see some of you are getting help, if everyone did a year of therapy, the world would be a much better place.

Good for you man, and good luck.

I've had to up my session frequency these past few months. Losing my dad has proven to be a lot harder on me, and for a lot longer, than I was expecting. I know my brothers are going through the same, and we do our best to support each other. It's little random things that'll happen and throw me into a massive funk. It sucks, but it's also part of life. I really hate it sometimes.

👍🙏

While I'm not thrilled to read about what you're currently going through, it does make me happy to know that you've taken the first step to resolving it. That (and I speak from experience) is the hardest step!

Share as much or as little as you are comfortable, but know that there is a long list of us here willing to lend an ear if you need it.

Sitting here in the ER because my oldest (25) took a bottle of pills. He is acting like it's just another day and no big deal that he took them. His mom is sure he did it for attention because we have been on his case about his finances. I think I agree with her but I am not willing to take that chance. I don't know how the mind of a suicidal person works so I have to just let the experts do their job and keep my mouth shut. This sucks.

Sitting here in the ER because my oldest (25) took a bottle of pills. He is acting like it's just another day and no big deal that he took them. His mom is sure he did it for attention because we have been on his case about his finances. I think I agree with her but I am not willing to take that chance. I don't know how the mind of a suicidal person works so I have to just let the experts do their job and keep my mouth shut. This sucks.

Sorry to hear that. Thinking of you and your family.

So sorry to hear this! Wishing you all the strength and endurance possible!

Our adult daughter did something similar back in September. I won't get into details here, but let's just say that I know what you guys are going through.

Inbox is open if you need to talk

Our adult daughter did something similar back in September. I won't get into details here, but let's just say that I know what you guys are going through.

Inbox is open if you need to talk
Sorry to hear that @Hibs! I remeber you saying things were rough, but hopefully trending in a better direction?

Hopefully everything is okay and nothing like this ever happens again. Life is tough, and you never know just what anyone else might be going through. Thinking of you guys!

Just like @Hibs said, we understand and are here.

After my time in ICU last Christmas week, where I was given my last rights, but woke up unexpectedly a few hours later, I have noticed, as other's in my family have, that I tend to forget things sometimes. Little things.

Talking with doctors, they say this is not surprising after such an ordeal. That my memory loss should go away in time, as part of my long term rehab.

There's no one particular aspect to it. I will forget both short term, and long term stuff.

A week ago I met with relatives I have not seen in years. They noticed some differences in my personality. We wrote it off as just being tired after a quick 2K mile drive. Still their words made me think.

Next month I will have series of tests done to see what lingering issues I might have. Both mental, and physical.

I've never been one to get frustrated over little things, but I now have a better understanding of other's mental health issues.

Ya know, some days (or weeks) are just really, really hard and overwhelming. And seasonal depression is really, really a thing.
Yessir. I'm dealing with it right now. I've struggled with mental health since I was about 11. I can get REALLY dark and it scares the sh!t out of my family. I'm in a funk right now that I'm having a really hard time breaking out of (and I always do). It just sucks so bad. It's affecting every single aspect of life, right now, and it's getting to the "really not cool" point. :(

Back