Mental Health: Make it a Priority

Kind of happy this one popped up today, as I’ve been riding the struggle bus as of late. This year so far has tipped the scales heavily in favour of stress over sunshine, and 60+ hour work weeks, massive expectations at work, and some situations I didn’t expect to find myself in have led me to some dark days. About a week ago I found myself falling back into the same bad habits mentally that led me to calling the VA a few years ago and beginning my journey to better mental health, and I’m glad that I had this vacation booked. I need the reset, I need the recharge, and I need to refocus my energy where it’s the most needed and important, as the rest of the year doesn’t look like the scale balance is going to improve very much. I’m a better version of myself when my mental health is stronger and I can help build up others.

I'm not going to lie, this year has been a struggle. I should be happy with how things are, but my day to day stress level is brutal.

Daughter has been super sick lately, and this past week was very rough on us. Hopefully the tide turns soon.

Hi, THP!

I’ve perused this thread a number of times since I’ve joined up here. Life has been a whole lot for me in the last few years. One of those days today, for sure. I lost my mom last month. I’ve been battling back issues and throat problems all year. My mental health has been a journey, that’s for damn sure. Golf is a major outlet for me but I haven’t been able to play recently due to sciatica. I’ve been seeing someone to help process. It helps. For sure.

Nothing specific here. Just hope you’re all as well as possible. Feel free to reach out if any of you ever need to vent, talk, etc.
Appreciate you. And in terms of reaching out if ever needed — just know that's a two-way street!

Kind of happy this one popped up today, as I’ve been riding the struggle bus as of late. This year so far has tipped the scales heavily in favour of stress over sunshine, and 60+ hour work weeks, massive expectations at work, and some situations I didn’t expect to find myself in have led me to some dark days. About a week ago I found myself falling back into the same bad habits mentally that led me to calling the VA a few years ago and beginning my journey to better mental health, and I’m glad that I had this vacation booked. I need the reset, I need the recharge, and I need to refocus my energy where it’s the most needed and important, as the rest of the year doesn’t look like the scale balance is going to improve very much. I’m a better version of myself when my mental health is stronger and I can help build up others.
Totally hear that last part, and am glad you're keeping it in mind that in order to do that, you also have to take care of yourself first! Sorry to hear it's been such a rough stretch. Totally hear how things can just build and build. And hope that vacation does ya good!

I'm not going to lie, this year has been a struggle. I should be happy with how things are, but my day to day stress level is brutal.

Daughter has been super sick lately, and this past week was very rough on us. Hopefully the tide turns soon.
Hope your daughter feels better soon!

Appreciate you sharing. I've just about gone off the deep end this past few weeks myself lol!

If there's anything I can help with...DMs are open, my friend.
Always remember, that the same applies if/when you ever need anyone to talk to.

Beginning of summer: life was kind of a wreck, probably my lowest... ever, but as it does.. it starts to get back on track. Things start to fall into place. It starts looking like my work is paying off and I get smacked by reality again. :(
Sorry to hear this! Hopefully the latest setback is a gateway to something better.

The vacation will do good. And the fact that you're recognizing the behaviour patterns earlier. Nothing to be done to scale back things the rest of the year?

Hope the best to you and all of your family. You know there's always an ear available.

Sorry to hear this! Hopefully the latest setback is a gateway to something better.

The vacation will do good. And the fact that you're recognizing the behaviour patterns earlier. Nothing to be done to scale back things the rest of the year?

Hope the best to you and all of your family. You know there's always an ear available.
Admittedly, some of this stress and workload is because of my own doing. I go in when my people are working Saturday's and help out on the shop floor as I wouldn’t feel right asking them to make sacrifices I am not prepared to do myself. As an organization we are going through a growth period and there are growing pains (hopefully somewhat temporarily), and I am confident that the lessons learned right now will help us make the future better.

Admittedly, some of this stress and workload is because of my own doing. I go in when my people are working Saturday's and help out on the shop floor as I wouldn’t feel right asking them to make sacrifices I am not prepared to do myself. As an organization we are going through a growth period and there are growing pains (hopefully somewhat temporarily), and I am confident that the lessons learned right now will help us make the future better.
Growing stages are always rough. The dynamics and changes in routine it requires are always worst for the ones who shoulder the responsibility. I've gone through a couple of doubling ant tripling of revenue and personnel. One organization took care of the employees and thrived, the other didn't and most experienced people left.

You're a good man, just remember to listen to the signs and also take care of yourself in addition to looking after others 👊

Sorry, hope your daughter gets better. Nothing worse then when our kids are sick. 🙏

I can relate to this as well. I think it can be a bit of a slippery slope though. I’m a small business owner (sounds like you are as well) and have noticed that I’ll purposely/subconsciously - not always sure which - take on more and more during stressful times. Before I know it I’m totally swamped and exhausted. I need to often remind myself to trust in others, know they’ll do the job instead of adding more and more to my plate.

It's crazy to me as I get older how much 'rebound' there is on events. I tried to explain to my wife yesterday what the "THP Event Hangover" was and I think she struggled to get it, but I know most of you guys do. This past weekend I had my member/member which was two rounds of beautifully wild stress and emotion, alongside a great chance to tee it up with THPers on Saturday which of course I wouldn't have missed.

Woke up yesterday feeling pretty numb to it all, along with some rough updates at work (for QOL not for my position). But then I remembered you can only fall if you've been up on top of the mountain, and it just got me excited for the next experience. I even worked out which was huge.

I mean this wholly for any of you peeps struggling, reach out. When it comes to PMs, I'm completely **** at taking compliments, but I am more than capable of lending an ear. (y)

Appreciate you sharing. I've just about gone off the deep end this past few weeks myself lol!

If there's anything I can help with...DMs are open, my friend.
This always applies to you as well!

I struggle with mental health. Not, that I have issues… not that I know of :unsure:, but the reality/severity of it. It’s hard for me to understand. If you break your arm, I can see that. You can have an X-ray. But, if you have anxiety, I can’t see that. I have a disconnect there.
This is something I struggle with because I was raised to be strong and tough. Not to show emotion. I try to put myself in others shoes, but I’m not good at that. And, I do not like to burden people with my problems.

I've gone through this. The ebbs and flows of business can really get on top of you. Summer has always been my high stress time and this year has been more intense than usual. I go down rabbit holes of not being good enough, being a fraud, etc... It is really odd that i do this to myself. We are having a monster year and my division is quite strong. Just a weird phenomenon of stress i guess. I always try to reset, but the blahs are real. I am a grinder though, so i always seem to come out the other side better for it. Glad to see you share, I try to keep things light even when I am struggling but sometimes it's good to let it out into the open.

Beginning of summer: life was kind of a wreck, probably my lowest... ever, but as it does.. it starts to get back on track. Things start to fall into place. It starts looking like my work is paying off and I get smacked by reality again. :(
You got this! You know how to get a hold of me if need be

I struggle with mental health. Not, that I have issues… not that I know of :unsure:, but the reality/severity of it. It’s hard for me to understand. If you break your arm, I can see that. You can have an X-ray. But, if you have anxiety, I can’t see that. I have a disconnect there.
This is something I struggle with because I was raised to be strong and tough. Not to show emotion. I try to put myself in others shoes, but I’m not good at that. And, I do not like to burden people with my problems.
That's the hardest part about mental health. It can't be seen or felt by anyone other than the person experiencing it. And I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy because it's absolutely horrible.
The good part of it is that the world is changing, and that people have proven that it's okay to admit you aren't feeling right.
Just know that whether you understand it or not, being there for another human being can mean so much. It could be just listening, it could be participating in an activity, or even something as simple as acknowledging them.

I heard this on a podcast recently about taking care of one's self, "reduce the drag both mentally and physically."

I've taken that to heart. Getting rid of all the drag in my life.

I've been working out harder, practicing golf harder, doing everyday chores and stuff more proficiently.

I started donating, selling, and throwing out a bunch of stuff in my house. (Including some of my beloved titleist and scotty items).

I left one of my part time jobs.

I'm all in. It's been such a **** show for me recently and I've hid it well. It's time to make changes.

I heard this on a podcast recently about taking care of one's self, "reduce the drag both mentally and physically."

I've taken that to heart. Getting rid of all the drag in my life.

I've been working out harder, practicing golf harder, doing everyday chores and stuff more proficiently.

I started donating, selling, and throwing out a bunch of stuff in my house. (Including some of my beloved titleist and scotty items).

I left one of my part time jobs.

I'm all in. It's been such a **** show for me recently and I've hid it well. It's time to make changes.

Man. I love every bit of that.

You got this! You know how to get a hold of me if need be
I appreciate it my man! Much better today, just one of those things. (y)

Rough couple of days for me, and I expect it to be rough for a bit more before it's better again. Appreciate you all. THP and THPers help me through a lot.

Man. I just tried to golf today and it was a massive failure. Back locked right up on me. Had to get a raincheck. It’s really hurting me mentally. I’ve had such a rough couple of months. Working out and golf are my biggest mental releases and I’m damn near incapable of doing either.

Ugh. Depressing.

I am losing my mind this morning, over absolutely unimportant trivial BS.

I didn't want to start my day like this. I cannot keep functioning like this, something needs to change.

I am losing my mind this morning, over absolutely unimportant trivial BS.

I didn't want to start my day like this. I cannot keep functioning like this, something needs to change.

I feel you. Keep your head up. I hope your day swings in the right direction.

Back