Mental Health: Make it a Priority

Not sure how I'm just seeing this thread, but I appreciate it. It has been a tough last year. Losing 2 very close friends in mid to late 2022, my wife's grandmother in November, her cousin having a stroke about a month ago, her uncle passing about a week and a half ago and then her other uncle passing Sunday. Been a rough patch and I'm just so tired. Tired of attending funerals, hospitals, and again, just in general tired. Working out, the sport of golf, and being able to turn to God have kept me afloat. This forum has been a big part of my life and honestly, the last month or so I haven't felt as connected to the forum as usual. Don't know if it's just all I have going on in my life, or what, but I find somethings just tick me off so much easier. My Grandaddy guys and Rivalry guys are my rock along with a couple others that I'd like to call out and just say thank you! @tequila4kapp @dacatalyst41 @KEV @PhillyV @BlueHen2006 @Phil75070 @mpeterson @rogt @ArmyGolf @shanewu @Boder @squirly_dave @e1iterate @Ludin @Tread23 @DannyLe @Parrot @Someonescoat @OldandStiff I appear happy and go lucky most of the time, but it's been rough and I worry about my wife and daughter more than myself. I guess that's just me wanting to take all the stress and sadness from them. Thank you to those that have been there for me to vent and just talk. It's much appreciated. More than most know.
Dont ever try to carry that much on your own. Galatians 6:2

Things arent as heavy to carry when someone is helping you lift it

Dont ever try to carry that much on your own. Galatians 6:2

Things arent as heavy to carry when someone is helping you lift it
Love this. Last 2 and a half years have been a rollercoaster but that’s where I lean.

I decided earlier today that I’m no longer giving a 💩 about most things. Doesn’t matter what I do or how much I give, the end result usually is something more is needed, well usually wanted. I’ve allowed my sole purpose to be others gain. Not anymore. Never again. I’ve stared darkness in the eye before many times. I’ll brighten it myself.
I sincerely get where you're coming from. I don't know that you need to quit caring, but, for me, getting out of the work environment where it was either step up or a patient can have a bad outcome was huge. ER, Cath lab, rapid response team. It was always the same.

25 years was enough. Now I'm paid the same, and answer the phone for the VA in my basement with bankers hours.

Seriously consider making a move if you're burned out. It's awesome being in an environment where everything doesn't depend on me 🙂

It's amazing how quick or easily you can feel like a failure. "Why can't I snap out of this?" "You're letting your family down" "why are you so weak" "toughen up sissy" all sayings that have gone through my head....smh.

Very glad I stumbled onto this thread. Thank you

It's amazing how quick or easily you can feel like a failure. "Why can't I snap out of this?" "You're letting your family down" "why are you so weak" "toughen up sissy" all sayings that have gone through my head....smh.

Very glad I stumbled onto this thread. Thank you

Same, I've apologized to my wife numerous times in the last X weeks.....

I appreciate how open and supportive many THPers are about this topic. I'm not good at talking about mental health. I have struggled and worked hard for many years. It is an ongoing part of me. Took me a long to time to ask for help. I tried to will myself forward, a person others sought out for help. I had to stay strong. Well, learning to ask for help and actually accepting help -- not that I am particularly good at either -- have allowed me to find more balance and attenuate the ups and downs into a more manageable place. I'm not fixed, but I was also never broken. I had parts of me that I didn't know how to deal with, and now working on those is something I will do, I think, for the rest of my life. I don't know if any of this makes any sense. Basically to anyone else, you are not alone. I care very much.

Shifting the topic a bit. Golf is part of my mental health support approach. This awesome game helps me build new networks of friends and engage a larger community of people who share the passion. When I learned that golf is not a game of perfect (there's a book (y)), I realized I had a safe place to work on something that is very hard for me. Rather than fall apart over a bad shot, I am learning to enjoy taking on the recovery shot. This is a good life skill. I also love the context of golf. Ourdoors in nature. Shared experience with other people. Focus on the game while letting go of that larger social and existential junk. Golf is a delight. My life and health are better with golf. (y)

A family member has been grieving, lonely and depressed after the death of a spouse. The doc just prescribed anti-depressants. I hope they help…and I hope the difficult patient actually takes them

A family member has been grieving, lonely and depressed after the death of a spouse. The doc just prescribed anti-depressants. I hope the help…and I hope the difficult patient actually takes them
Keep being a support network for them, there are different categories of antidepressants and docs don’t always find the right one the first time, which can make things worse before they get better.

I missed this a year ago or so when it started, this is something I need help with. I've hidden way too much & at the point my life may implode if I don't do something.

Thank you for starting this, much needed.
Let's talk!

I'm not a professional but I think I can accurately say that in today's modern world we all carry around burdens that we shouldn't have to. And those burdens take a toll. It might be today, tomorrow or months from now but they eventually catch up to us. We have plenty of opportunities to hash things out/take a load off/see the signs. Take the opportunity - there's lots of good people hear willing to lend an ear!

I missed this a year ago or so when it started, this is something I need help with. I've hidden way too much & at the point my life may implode if I don't do something.

Thank you for starting this, much needed.
We all know others around the world are dealing with it, but it really is amazing how truly hearing individual stories, and people being open with what they’re struggling with, can take away some of that feeling of being alone in this, or overwhelmed — that relief and comfort that others really do understand. It’s valuable. Someone was once talking about their struggles finding meds that would help, and I mentioned what I’ve gone through, you could practically see some of that overwhelming stress melt away and we talked for hours. It seemed clear that nobody in their life has every expressed that they really understood.
Damn. This thread hit hard today. I had missed it somehow earlier, but I'm glad I stumbled upon it now. Reading all of your posts and honest feelings brings my own to the forefront and stopped me to consider, how am I doing today. The truth is, not that great. And to say that takes a lot of effort for me, as I'm one of those people, who doesn't like admitting they aren't on top of things. I'm very grateful to all of you, who shared here, it helps relate and find perspective.

The article in the quote was very insightful. I've usually been thinking about cumulative stress. Not one thing pushes people over the top, but the series of stressors, both positive and negative, that take the toll. The article highlights the smaller ones that are harder to recognize. Thanks for sharing it @dhartmann34!

I wrote out the below portion and added the tags, because it's a long one and I understand it might not be interesting or read worthy to some who come here.

Spoiler
I realize I'm stalling as I write this. Because its hard to say it to myself, that things aren't the way they should be for me to be comfortable. I posted in the rant-thread about two weeks ago, that I'm exhausted. And reflecting on how I feel about it and where it comes from, is exactly the cumulative and microstress doing their work. Too many things for too long. The pressure of work, relationship, kids, selling the apartment, moving, changing jobs, trying to find time for me. All of it accumulates And now I feel a constant pressure in my chest and head from it. And I'm trying damn hard to change my pattern.

Some history I have with this. During my teen years, I was living in a city we had moved to from the countryside that was then hit by the severe recession we had in the 90's. Drugs, street violence among kids, alcohol for pre-teens, the lot. I was not a part of these, but they took a toll on my friends, all of whom are not alive anymore. During that time my parents business went bankrupt twice and the mood at home was ice cold. Not towards me or my brother, but to each other by my parents. Parents were not home much, and that was better like that. At some point, my mood was low enough to consider terminal solutions to my feelings. I don't remember why or how I got over those, but I did. I moved away from home and that city when I was 16 and I think that saved me in the end.

Later in life, after three deployments and our first child, who didn't sleep without being held upright for the first four months, I finally contacted professional help. This was about 7 years ago. I had done a depression online assessment and it scored medium-level depression. Our system is fantastic in the sense that I reached out to the system we have for people who've been deployed and also to the one we have for families with babies. I started seeing a therapist from the latter and we met a few times alone and a few times together with my now wife. We then got a payment commitment for 10x couples therapy. And it was very good for us. Now we're starting with a new therapist to go back to couples therapy, following our eldest child's neurophysiological screening process.

I've been considering many things to do right now. One thing that will happen is that I'll change jobs and leave my current employer behind me, and that will take a lot of toxicity out of my life. Also thinking about seeing a therapist by myself, but have some reservations related to my current job change process due to it.

I'm not in the dark place and haven't been there in years, but I'm seriously worn out and needed the vent to out my feelings.

For anyone needing someone to talk to, at any point, time and place, reach out. There are a ton of people here, and I'm also always happy to be an ear for anyone. I have my things going on, but I'll never not pick up if someone reaches out in need.
Appreciate you sharing your story. I get how things can build and build and build. I’m sorry you’ve had to deal with some of those things, but hope the work change can bring some positives.

Keep an eye on your kiddos. I don’t remember the details perfectly but a recent study shows that something like over 30% of teens have clinically diagnosed mental health issues.

Made the first step today, my wife is a board member for a grief counselling foundation so I have reached out to them and have first 2 appointments booked.

My main mental issues are stemming from how rapidly my mothers early onset alzheimer's has progressed, how debilitating it is and me being half a world away and unable to help out in any way easily. I have this, probably irrational fear, that she won't make it to her 70th birthday this year.

A 15yo kid on my softball team quit the sport last week due to MH issues. Those issues are really impacted her ability to function in a normal capacity to do the things 15yo's are expected to do. I really hope she gets well soon.

Last edited:
Had a long talk with my wife on the stuff I feel I need to do to improve my MH. The toughest for her to cope and understand is my need for solitude at times. Our life with three small kids is full of noise and hassle. And too long of that without personal time and space starts to mess with me. We're looking for ways to make this happen regularly.

Also have the first couples therapy session booked for next week.

Made the first step today, my wife is a board member for a grief counselling foundation so I have reached out to them and have first 2 appointments booked.

My main mental issues are stemming from how rapidly my mothers early onset alzheimer's has progressed, how debilitating it is and me being half a world away and unable to help out in any way easily. I have this, probably irrational fear, that she won't make it to her 70th birthday this year.
Taking the first step is usually the hardest. I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through, but I'm happy to hear that you're going to do something about it which will let you be a better person.

contemplating a career change , and a move, at 50 has my anxiety is through the roof.
That's a big one. I had the same feelings when I made a move like that about 4 years ago. I was in my 30's, but it was giving up a salary to a spot woth no salary or benefits. I really focused on why I wanted to make the switch and the good it would bring me. And while the first couple years weren't great, especially without the backing of some folks I thought I could count on, I can't imagine doing anything else now. It was the scariest and best thing I could have done. Wishing you the best!

Had a long talk with my wife on the stuff I feel I need to do to improve my MH. The toughest for her to cope and understand is my need for solitude at times. Our life with three small kids is full of noise and hassle. And too long of that without personal time and space starts to mess with me. We're looking for ways to make this happen regularly.

Also have the first couples therapy session booked for next week.
It's so hard for that personal time not only with yourself, but just you and your spouse as well. I've gone through the same the past couple of years, especially after child number two. It's almost like losing an identity and self. I'm not sure I'm really succeeding greatly... But we're both doing our best. Here's hoping you get things in a spot that work for you..

This post is great , as men we are taught we are the strong ones and need to be that constantly. But life is not all happiness and joy 24/7/365, at times it may be down right tough and scary.
The past couple of years for me , have been lots of positive things but also some very dark dark days. A couple of times I almost ended it, was this close to saying goodbye. Something inside me told me to keep fighting and keep going. Last year I lost my uncle, father is law and best friend is a matter of 3 weeks. That drove me to a breaking point where I was thinking the S word.
Right now,I am looking forward to a new start as I will be returning to school shortly and also have a daughter on the way. But everytime I see a positive happy time or a move forward , seem to get something bad happen to me. Like the day I was accepted into school, not 1 hour later I found out my grandmother had Covid and is extremely sick.

The only thing pushing me forward is my daughter, starting school again to gain knowledge to better myself and keep striving to improve on that. A change of scenery as well, after I finish my schooling I will be moving back to Toronto or Quebec with my friends. Have made some connections already in terms of job opportunities in the future look forward to that as well

This post is great , as men we are taught we are the strong ones and need to be that constantly. But life is not all happiness and joy 24/7/365, at times it may be down right tough and scary.
The past couple of years for me , have been lots of positive things but also some very dark dark days. A couple of times I almost ended it, was this close to saying goodbye. Something inside me told me to keep fighting and keep going. Last year I lost my uncle, father is law and best friend is a matter of 3 weeks. That drove me to a breaking point where I was thinking the S word.
Right now,I am looking forward to a new start as I will be returning to school shortly and also have a daughter on the way. But everytime I see a positive happy time or a move forward , seem to get something bad happen to me. Like the day I was accepted into school, not 1 hour later I found out my grandmother had Covid and is extremely sick.

The only thing pushing me forward is my daughter, starting school again to gain knowledge to better myself and keep striving to improve on that. A change of scenery as well, after I finish my schooling I will be moving back to Toronto or Quebec with my friends. Have made some connections already in terms of job opportunities in the future look forward to that as well
Glad you're still here! Those are scary moments, when you're that close to ending it. And at least for me, it's hard to shake the knowledge that it was in my head.

Really good to hear you have things to look forward to, as those keep eyes and mind forward, not back. Thanks for sharing!

Glad you're still here! Those are scary moments, when you're that close to ending it. And at least for me, it's hard to shake the knowledge that it was in my head.

Really good to hear you have things to look forward to, as those keep eyes and mind forward, not back. Thanks for sharing!
What else pushed me forward, knowing life is beautiful after your gone no more enjoying nature, golf or time with family and friends. Rainy days will always come after but after the wonderful sun comes out and refreshes everything again.

Same here, always remember we are in a better place then the dark side. Downs are usually only temporary , the time will always arise to make it well worth it again.

What else pushed me forward, knowing life is beautiful after your gone no more enjoying nature, golf or time with family and friends. Rainy days will always come after but after the wonderful sun comes out and refreshes everything again.

Same here, always remember we are in a better place then the dark side. Downs are usually only temporary , the time will always arise to make it well worth it again.
Just keep showing up. Glad you made it through some dark times. And appreciate you sharing your story.

Thank you, I almost did not post it. Then I thought maybe there a member who is going through something similar. Having a person who shares a similar story , helps on the road to recovery. People smile or hide though the pain, think nobody cares or has felt this.

Unfortunately it is more common then we think. We are all in this together

I don’t know what I say will help. I often struggle like many. There have had some really dark times in my life. I always hold on to the fact that there will be good times ahead. As bad as some days/weeks/months have been, there always seem to be good times that follow. God bless and always talk to someone. Message me anytime if you want. Even if you just want to vent and don’t want an answer, just shoot me a message anytime.

I don’t know what I say will help. I often struggle like many. There have had some really dark times in my life. I always hold on to the fact that there will be good times ahead. As bad as some days/weeks/months have been, there always seem to be good times that follow. God bless and always talk to someone. Message me anytime if you want. Even if you just want to vent and don’t want an answer, just shoot me a message anytime.
Same to you 👊

Back