Mesh Networks and Upgrading

If it works fine I wouldn't be looking to upgrade or change anything. Then again ours is only 100mbps so what do I know

This is pretty timely for me...

Google Fiber is now offering 2 GB connectivity, and it comes with a Google Mesh Network.

I work in the basement, and while my connection via wifi is "fine" I am seriously pondering the 2GB Fiber along with the mesh network.

This is pretty timely for me...

Google Fiber is now offering 2 GB connectivity, and it comes with a Google Mesh Network.

I work in the basement, and while my connection via wifi is "fine" I am seriously pondering the 2GB Fiber along with the mesh network.
I love the speed, but until I can trust Google security Im out on that. With that said, its getting better, fortunately I dont have to make that decision as its not offered here.

If its working fine now, I’d probably buy the inexpensive and roll with that for the time being. Can always upgrade equipment anytime. That way you can probably get a deal or keep your eye out for something you want, but are fine in the meantime.

Very interested in this thread. I'm paying for 1.2 with Xfinity and while my speeds are good, it's never close to 1.2
F355BD60-9E30-4BFC-BDE2-55732B318694.jpeg

I use the Costco orbi

Orbi RBK753S AX4200 Wi-Fi 6 Mesh Router with Two Satellite

And hardwire the backhaul.

And switched to the Costco modem
NETGEAR Nighthawk CM1100 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem

Wish we had your upload as that is more important than people think. They only offer 40 here. I get close to gig hardwired depending on time of day. A lot of variables involved with never getting what you pay for at higher speeds.

Screenshot_20210913-211113_Speedtest.jpg

Updated to ATT gig fiber earlier this spring. Connecting to the ATT router direct I get the best speeds when on wifi. Lose a bit when connecting to the Deco M9's mesh in the rest of the house.

A7208E4D-8EBF-4488-A7A7-26468F821A5D.jpeg

We took the opportunity to network our house when we had it completely re-wired and put network points in every room, so the only devices connecting via Wifi are the mobile phones and tablets

At the front of the house where the internet comes into our property, we have the router supplied by our provider, we have a patch panel in the cupboard under the stairs with a switch where every cable comes back to, then I added one of the Ubiquiti access points at the back of the house with the same SSID, so we get complete coverage across the house and down to the end of the garden, and the devices seamlessly roam between the access points depending on where we are

If your devices are hard-wired directly back to the main router, they will work at their fastest speed possible regardless of the mesh system you are using, but if they are connected via the mesh system, they will still be limited by the throughput of the mesh devices, so the only way to increase the speed is to replace the mesh system

Im paying for an "up to 800 mbps" plan with Xfinity/Comcast. I've had Google Nest Wifi now for 9 months and whenever I run a speed test we're getting 936mbps currently it says. I love the Google Nest and have 0 complaints. We love ours bc it is the only mesh point system that duals as speakers so you can play music throughout the house

When I went through this question 9 months ago many of the answers I got were to buy my own modem individually and not use what the internet service provides. It's also better to have a separate modem and router compared to a dual modem/router combo. We went with the Arris SURFboard DOCSIS 3.1 modem. It's capable of giving off more speed than we'll ever need but if for whatever reason we need more speed then I know its capable of it

As a whole this topic is above my head but from what I recall you should definitely invest in a higher quality modem

I use the Costco orbi

Orbi RBK753S AX4200 Wi-Fi 6 Mesh Router with Two Satellite

And hardwire the backhaul.

And switched to the Costco modem
NETGEAR Nighthawk CM1100 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem

Wish we had your upload as that is more important than people think. They only offer 40 here. I get close to gig hardwired depending on time of day. A lot of variables involved with never getting what you pay for at higher speeds.

View attachment 9027633
Not going to get it with cable internet sadly and I am switching to that and know it.
Fiber is the future, but other factors were involved in our switch, such as mobile.

Great to hear that the Orbi is giving those speeds though.

Reactions: J4U
Does anyone have experience with a powerline system? My house has some weak signal areas from our single wifi router supplied by my ISP and I'm trying to decide if powerline adapters would work or if I need to spend on a mesh system. If anyone can break down the pros and cons between them it would be much appreciated!

What’s you decide Josh? Did you go with new hotness? :LOL:

What’s you decide Josh? Did you go with new hotness? :LOL:
Actually no. I am keeping current Orbi for now, which is rock solid and just got an Arris modem. It arrived, but we won't hook it up until the new internet gets installed next week. I will miss some of our upload speeds, but the cost savings for mobile made it worth while.

Actually no. I am keeping current Orbi for now, which is rock solid and just got an Arris modem. It arrived, but we won't hook it up until the new internet gets installed next week. I will miss some of our upload speeds, but the cost savings for mobile made it worth while.
Your restraint is amazing. Hahaha

Your restraint is amazing. Hahaha
We weighed the pros and cons and the biggest con was that with the cost of upgrading, would there be a tangible benefit or were we banking on the future. And if we were, shouldn't we wait, its not as if technology is going up in price. I mean it is, but this exact model will be cheaper in 6 months.

Current Orbi is doing just fine since it just switched this morning. Wow!

404CDE42-F6FE-46BF-BC88-1C48F3852FC3.jpegWe

Kinda just went thru this as we Just finished moving this summer to a home with a whole home network. Upgraded the net to 1.2 and am using a mesh system with a AP upstairs, downstairs and the main box in the basement.

Seen no issues with that set up and love the mesh set up. I would always snag the new stuff if you can as the net speeds and capabilities are always changing. Worse case you have additional coverage you do not need for NOW.....but wont have to make any changes if your provider changes speeds etc in the future.

I have hardlined in as much as possible for the all the devices we have we have plenty of coverage now on the WiFi

I'm not sure what our top advertised speed is, but we just upgraded to a mesh system and our wireless speeds now are as fast as the old router's wired connections. I can get a strong connection in the garage at the far end of the house now, too. I wish I'd done this years ago.

Timely bump as I’m looking to upgrade. I have 1G service and we’ve been fine, but want something more reliable in the far ends of the house and outside.

I have a Linksys mesh network with 3 nodes in the house and AT&T 1G fiber internet.

This is the slowest it normally is on my network.
Screenshot_20221227_220216_Linksys.jpg

As wifi routers get more powerful its important that the channels you use aren't close to channels your neighbors use. If so, the stronger signal will dwarf the other.

Screenshot_20221227_221310_Linksys.jpg

Also, change your MTU from automatic to manual with a value of 1500 and/or follow the link below.
Screenshot_20221227_221536_Linksys.jpg

Timely bump as I’m looking to upgrade. I have 1G service and we’ve been fine, but want something more reliable in the far ends of the house and outside.
The TP Link Deco system is highly rated across the board and that’s what I would recommend. If you have an outdated modem I would also upgrade that.

Keep in mind when setting up any wifi network that most modern systems offer 2.4 and 5 gigahertz frequencies. 2.4ghz has a speed limit of 450mbps(for most systems) and is more commonly used, 5ghz offers faster speeds but weaker penetration through solid objects like walls. Useful info when planning the location of your mesh points.

I need to get back into upgrading my home network. The speeds have been fine but I gave my brother my old modem and WiFi router because I can always get good gear quicker because I understand the lingo. The best thing I ever did was add a hardware firewall behind the modem that I was able to directly link one of the APs to. My hardware firewall handled all of the DHCP leases, routing, and packet inspection while the WiFi APs were basically just signal repeaters. I got faster than advertised speeds whenever I tested my speed.

Never mind. Deleted before I get accused of being a skimmer and then feel bad for the rest of the day.

Last edited:
Wow, this is an old thread, never mind.

Back