#5. Greywalls, Marquette. Peak Season Greens Fee: $125
#6. Black Lake, Onaway. Peak Season Greens Fee: $85
#7. Tullymore-St. Ives Resort, Stanwood. Peak Season Greens Fee: $99
#8. Tribute-Otsego Club, Gaylord. Peak Season Greens Fee: $79
#9. Bay Harbor-Boyne Resorts, Bay Harbor. Peak Season Greens Fee: $179
#10. Pilgrim’s Run, Pierson. Peak Season Greens Fee: $65
#11. Shepherd’s Hollow, Clarkston. Peak Season Greens Fee: $85
#12 Tie: Thousand Oaks, Grand Rapids. Peak Season Greens Fee: $90
Hawk's Eye, Bellaire. Peak Season Greens Fee: $89.
#14. Elk Ridge, Atlanta. Peak Season Greens Fee: $75
#15. Signature-Treetops Resort, Gaylord. Peak Season Greens Fee: $115
#16. Cedar River-Shanty Creek Resort, Bellaire. Peak Season Greens Fee: $120
#17 Tie. Red Hawk, Oscoda. Peak Season Greens Fee: $79
Reflections-Garland Resort, Lewiston. Peak Season Greens Fee: $60
#19. Fazio-Treetops Resort, Gaylord. Peak Season Greens Fee: $115
#20. The Gailes-Lakewood Shores Resort, Oscoda. Peak Season Greens Fee: $62
21. Hawkshead, South Haven.
22. The Bear-Grand Traverse Resort, Acme.
23 Tie. Masterpiece (Robert Trent Jones)-Treetops Resort, Gaylord.
23 Tie. Art Hills Course-Boyne Highlands, Harbor Springs.
25. The Majestic Lake Walden.
26. Buck's Run, Mt. Pleasant.
27. Thornapple Pointe, Grand Rapids.
28. Yarrow, Augusta.
29. Little Traverse Bay, Harbor Springs.
30. The Grande, Jackson.
31. Cutter's Ridge-Manistee National Golf & Resort, Manistee.
32. Wolverine-Grand Traverse Resort, Acme.
33. The Rock, Drummond Island.
34. True North, Harbor Springs.
35 Tie. Angel's Crossing, Vicksburg.
35 Tie. Sundance, Kewadin.
37. Heather-Boyne Highlands, Harbor Springs.
38 Tie. Thoroughbred-Double JJ Resort, Rothbury.
38 Tie. Northville Hills, Northville.
40 Tie. Wild Bluff, Brimley.
40 Tie. Dunmaglas Charlevoix.
42. Heathlands, Onekama.
43 Tie. High Pointe, Acme.
43 Tie. Ravines, Saugatuck.
43 Tie. Mistwood, Lake Ann.
46. Boulder Pointe, Oxford.
47 Tie. The Legend-Shanty Creek Resort, Bellaire.
47 Tie. The Meadows, Allendale.
49. Hidden River, Brutus.
50. Hawk Hollow, Bath.

How many of these courses have you played?

And what course (or courses) would you put on a "BEST VALUE" list of Michigan courses?
At some point I'd like to come up and play some of these courses. Which ones do you recommend?

I just looked at a Michigan Golf's list of top 50 public courses in MI:

Here is the list with prices (I'm not sure how old this web page is):

#1. Arcadia Bluffs, Arcadia. Season Greens Fee: $180
#2. Forest Dunes, Roscommon. Peak Season Greens Fee: $125
#3. Timberstone, Iron Mountain. Peak Season Greens Fee: $68
#4. Eagle Eye, Bath. Peak Season Greens Fee: $85
#5. Greywalls, Marquette. Peak Season Greens Fee: $125
#6. Black Lake, Onaway. Peak Season Greens Fee: $85
#7. Tullymore-St. Ives Resort, Stanwood. Peak Season Greens Fee: $99
#8. Tribute-Otsego Club, Gaylord. Peak Season Greens Fee: $79
#9. Bay Harbor-Boyne Resorts, Bay Harbor. Peak Season Greens Fee: $179
#10. Pilgrim’s Run, Pierson. Peak Season Greens Fee: $65
#11. Shepherd’s Hollow, Clarkston. Peak Season Greens Fee: $85
#12 Tie: Thousand Oaks, Grand Rapids. Peak Season Greens Fee: $90
Hawk's Eye, Bellaire. Peak Season Greens Fee: $89.
#14. Elk Ridge, Atlanta. Peak Season Greens Fee: $75
#15. Signature-Treetops Resort, Gaylord. Peak Season Greens Fee: $115
#16. Cedar River-Shanty Creek Resort, Bellaire. Peak Season Greens Fee: $120
#17 Tie. Red Hawk, Oscoda. Peak Season Greens Fee: $79
Reflections-Garland Resort, Lewiston. Peak Season Greens Fee: $60
#19. Fazio-Treetops Resort, Gaylord. Peak Season Greens Fee: $115
#20. The Gailes-Lakewood Shores Resort, Oscoda. Peak Season Greens Fee: $62
21. Hawkshead, South Haven.
22. The Bear-Grand Traverse Resort, Acme.
23 Tie. Masterpiece (Robert Trent Jones)-Treetops Resort, Gaylord.
23 Tie. Art Hills Course-Boyne Highlands, Harbor Springs.
25. The Majestic Lake Walden.
26. Buck's Run, Mt. Pleasant.
27. Thornapple Pointe, Grand Rapids.
28. Yarrow, Augusta.
29. Little Traverse Bay, Harbor Springs.
30. The Grande, Jackson.
31. Cutter's Ridge-Manistee National Golf & Resort, Manistee.
32. Wolverine-Grand Traverse Resort, Acme.
33. The Rock, Drummond Island.
34. True North, Harbor Springs.
35 Tie. Angel's Crossing, Vicksburg.
35 Tie. Sundance, Kewadin.
37. Heather-Boyne Highlands, Harbor Springs.
38 Tie. Thoroughbred-Double JJ Resort, Rothbury.
38 Tie. Northville Hills, Northville.
40 Tie. Wild Bluff, Brimley.
40 Tie. Dunmaglas Charlevoix.
42. Heathlands, Onekama.
43 Tie. High Pointe, Acme.
43 Tie. Ravines, Saugatuck.
43 Tie. Mistwood, Lake Ann.
46. Boulder Pointe, Oxford.
47 Tie. The Legend-Shanty Creek Resort, Bellaire.
47 Tie. The Meadows, Allendale.
49. Hidden River, Brutus.
50. Hawk Hollow, Bath.

How many of these courses have you played?

And what course (or courses) would you put on a "BEST VALUE" list of Michigan courses?
At some point I'd like to come up and play some of these courses. Which ones do you recommend?

I've played a fair number on the list, which is an older list. Thousand Oaks is no longer public. But value wise the Treetops are the best in my opinion. Throw in they have what is thought to be the #1 par 3 course on property. We are heading up there for $368 for unlimited golf and hotel stay. As stated above bay harbor is not a value course, and honestly I'd probably only want to play the links again. I've played the Meadows(47) for $20 and it's probably one of the toughest courses I've played. We played the Grande(30) last year and Tpluff was able to get a good price. Art hills course(23) is the other course in Bay Harbor it's it's definitely a better value, it's more of a wooded northern Michigan course, rather than a links style. I've also played Eagle Eye(4) for $25 on a hot deal. I personally don't think it's #4 in the state, but it's definitely a nice course and can be had for a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of that list I have played 1.....that will change this year!

Have played a ton of those. I know its crazy to say, but Arcadia Bluffs and Forest Dunes are both values. Arcadia is half the price of whistling straits and just as good of a course. Agree with Jspangs that Bay Harbor is def not a value. Some good views, but course itself is not amazing. I really like the Bear at Grand Traverse, especially the front 9 but its a little over-priced as well.

Best values I would say are Shepherds Hollow, the Hills Course at Boyne, and I enjoyed Little Traverse Bay.

Arthur Hills course at Boyne is an excellent course! I played the Heather at Boyne and it's a good course, but I liked the Hills much more

I've played a fair number on the list, which is an older list. Thousand Oaks is no longer public. But value wise the Treetops are the best in my opinion. Throw in they have what is thought to be the #1 par 3 course on property. We are heading up there for $368 for unlimited golf and hotel stay. As stated above bay harbor is not a value course, and honestly I'd probably only want to play the links again. I've played the Meadows(47) for $20 and it's probably one of the toughest courses I've played. We played the Grande(30) last year and Tpluff was able to get a good price. Art hills course(23) is the other course in Bay Harbor it's it's definitely a better value, it's more of a wooded northern Michigan course, rather than a links style. I've also played Eagle Eye(4) for $25 on a hot deal. I personally don't think it's #4 in the state, but it's definitely a nice course and can be had for a deal.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'd love to get up & play Treetops with you guys sometime - not in the budget this year though. I love the look of a lot of these courses!

Will be getting out today for the first full MI round this year.. Some new gear and shots will be tested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John,

What is open in our neck of the woods (I'm outside Bellaire)? Still a good bit of snow in our woods here, especially on the north facing slopes.

Springbrook in Walloon Lake. (South of Petoskey) Only the front nine was open. It's a very short course with some quirky holes, but at least you can take some swings and putt on a green. It's also the friendliest course I've ever played. Tracey and Jason work very hard to make everyone feel right at home. It's the kind of place where even if the clubhouse is not open, you just go out and play and pay later. They stay open late into the fall (or winter as the case may be) and are always the first to open in the Spring. I'll be going out again around 9:00 to, hopefully, play 18 today.

You might want to give Elk Rapids a call. I drove by there yesterday and it looked as though they might be opening today. It's a 9 hole Donald Ross course.

Later,

John

On that list Garland has to be the best value. I haven't played there for a while, but when I lived there all their courses were top notch and beautiful.

Later,

John

CJ, Matt, and myself are currently driving thru Ohio on our way to some friendly yet competitive golf with a few native folks.

Springbrook in Walloon Lake. (South of Petoskey) Only the front nine was open. It's a very short course with some quirky holes, but at least you can take some swings and putt on a green. It's also the friendliest course I've ever played. Tracey and Jason work very hard to make everyone feel right at home. It's the kind of place where even if the clubhouse is not open, you just go out and play and pay later. They stay open late into the fall (or winter as the case may be) and are always the first to open in the Spring. I'll be going out again around 9:00 to, hopefully, play 18 today.

You might want to give Elk Rapids a call. I drove by there yesterday and it looked as though they might be opening today. It's a 9 hole Donald Ross course.

Later,

John

Never heard of Springbrook but good to know. Was in Petoskey for work on Thursday and there was still quite a bit of snow in the woods. Good call on ER - have not played it in many years but they do tend to open earlier and close later than many others.

We just ate so much chick-fil-a!

We just ate so much chick-fil-a!

Literally one of the handful of things that I have good to say about Ohio. Jealous.

What a day out there weather wise. I snuck out for an hour while both the kids were asleep and played 6 holes, hitting 2-3 shots from each spot. Course was in surprisingly good shape. Pretty happy with where the swing is at heading into the year. Very different from the last few years after being able to play a few rds in December and January and play in February. Love it.

CJ, Matt, and myself are currently driving thru Ohio on our way to some friendly yet competitive golf with a few native folks.

Was great to meet you and Matt! CJ was a riot as always. Hope you all had a safe trip back.

Never heard of Springbrook but good to know. Was in Petoskey for work on Thursday and there was still quite a bit of snow in the woods. Good call on ER - have not played it in many years but they do tend to open earlier and close later than many others.

I played 18 at Springbrook today. Had to grab the ball out of the snow a couple of times, but the weather was great. The Mallard in East Jordan was open today also.

Later,

John

Holland MI. Usually play Macatawa Legends, Winding Creek, West Ottawa, Diamond Springs, and occasionally drive to Grand Rapids.

It was nice to get out on the course with a new THPer. Hope to get out with you more through the season. Maybe even see you in a couple gathering/ events.

It looks as if the Hawk Hollow/Eagle Eye courses will be open this weekend if anyone is up for some chilly golf.

It looks as if the Hawk Hollow/Eagle Eye courses will be open this weekend if anyone is up for some chilly golf.

I'm keeping an eye on Saturday right now, but I think its still a little too chilly. I've already done that once and it wasn't pleasant being that cold. A few more weeks............

I'm keeping an eye on Saturday right now, but I think its still a little too chilly. I've already done that once and it wasn't pleasant being that cold. A few more weeks............

That back 9 was some of the coldest golf I've played. Highs back in the 40s after Thursday, horse *hit. Thursday and Friday could be playable. Just need the warmest part of the day.

I learned everything I wanted to know about cold wet golf on Saturday.. Would be nice to see a ball bounce and roll.. Lol...have a pretty good idea of far everything carries in the cold, soft ground and wind.. Can wait for firm ground..

That back 9 was some of the coldest golf I've played. Highs back in the 40s after Thursday, horse *hit. Thursday and Friday could be playable. Just need the warmest part of the day.

Agreed!

I can't remember was anyone thinking of doing the GAM day at TPC on the 25th? I was just browsing around that site for the first time and I'd like to play some of those courses like TPC and Radrick Farms, prices aren't too bad, and Mondays I could possibly make work every once in a while.

No worries, my plans have already been made for me, I have to work all weekend.

I would be interested in TPC.. I have one of those $55/$65 certificates.

I learned everything I wanted to know about cold wet golf on Saturday.. Would be nice to see a ball bounce and roll.. Lol...have a pretty good idea of far everything carries in the cold, soft ground and wind.. Can wait for firm ground..

And that was before we got an enormous amount of rain yesterday. Everything by me is completely soaked.

Back