Mizuno MP-15 Irons - THP Review Thread

A bit too early to tell on ball flight. I'm not seeing flight that is irregular for a player profile with S300's though. I suppose that would make them a mid flight for most.

Distance wise I'm seeing similar numbers from the Bridgestone j40's (CB/DPC combo) -- Maybe a touch shorter, but that'd be the compensation of colder weather. I find the Mizuno's to have a bit more lively feel on pure strikes. Distance wise against the Nike Vapor Pro's i'm finding slightly better numbers with the Mizuno's, definitely more towards the heel. Similar flighting between the two.

I'm not sure the hosel is all that significant. I'd consider it to be a fairly standard size, but the offset is quite limited which seems to be indicative of a player iron for workability. It's definitely on the player iron spectrum, and Mizuno has it well entrenched in their MP line under Game enhancement.

After 2 months with these, the ball flight for me has been mid to low depending on the club. The 8,9 and PW have a nice low trajectory which has been nice with all the wind we've had.

You are 100% right on the pure strikes. The ball does feel like it hops off the face and gives you that nice solid, but soft feel.

Thanks Seth! I would imagine the number of game enhancement irons that genuinely forgive on the bottom groove is slim to none. It's up to the player to decide whether they are willing to compromise forgiveness on the extremes over control and workability. That in mind, it's hard to weight the feeling of putty on the clubface when the ball is struck pure on these irons.

I'll add to this just a bit too. My experience on thin shots hasn't been as harsh of a feeling as other irons in this category. You still feel it, but it doesn't leave my hands stinging. A lot of that could do with the shaft and the grips I'm using too. With the recoils and the CP2 grips I still get feedback on a miss, but it doesn't resonate to my hands as much.

For distance I'm seeing numbers that were comparable to my Apex Pros and the DPCs. I hit a 9i from 145 yesterday that was out towards the toe and thought was destined for the bunker short of the green and ended up hitting the center of the green. Ball flight has been similar as well. Mid to low.

Good thoughts my friend -- I do think those CP2's are paying big dividends on stingers because I've definitely felt a few that were extremely low on the face. Mostly on the tips of my right hand fingers.

In either case, I do think they feel better on off-center strikes as a whole compared to a typical blade.

Some great photos you have there Dan and some great initial thoughts. There is an article in my NZ golf magazine with an article inside Mizuno and how they go about making their clubs in Japan, it was a very interesting read. Now I know what grain flow forged is.

Surprised to see this thread shrivel up and die. Such an awesome looking club. I know I need the forgiveness of the 850f but to me these are just sex on a stick..

Surprised to see this thread shrivel up and die. Such an awesome looking club. I know I need the forgiveness of the 850f but to me these are just sex on a stick..

Hahaha! That's a new one, they are sessy though.

I believe my brother Danathan is putting this one to ink at the moment, I bet we see it soon.

They look good. Real good. That's all I think when I see them LOL

Hahaha! That's a new one, they are sessy though.

I believe my brother Danathan is putting this one to ink at the moment, I bet we see it soon.

They look good. Real good. That's all I think when I see them LOL

Can't wait to read that. They are pretty amazing to look at. Sometimes I just sit in the couch looking at them while drinking a fine single malt scotch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The irons are some of the best looking I've ever had the pleasure of holding. Typically I go for function over fashion, but you get the best of both worlds in this case with how smooth the lines are between the head design and the titanium muscle insert. Combine that with a miniature top line and a familiar Mizuno chrome finish... It's just a great combination.

As with any club of this profile, the mishits do punish to an extent, however my misses aren't typically too far left or right. It's more so about distance loss and the unfortunate sting on the right hand, but even that experience seems to be reduced in severity.

On the launch monitor, I've found that my contact point can wander a bit on the face without large distance variations. Fat shots are still going to be fat and terrible... Thinned shots are still going to take away about 10-15% of distance overall, but on the center of the face it's like the ball melts away. I wouldn't use the term "butter" because I don't think I'd want to hit a ball of butter... It's more like making contact with a soft rubber ball. Absolutely flush.

Adam, Lockman, your assessments are dead on. They are stunning irons.

I can see myself picking up a set of these one day so they can sit in my spare club bag and mock me every morning, and I'll just smile back.
So gorgeous!
Has anyone tried both these and the MP4s? I'm curious how much extra forgiveness these pack over a true blade?

I can see myself picking up a set of these one day so they can sit in my spare club bag and mock me every morning, and I'll just smile back.
So gorgeous!
Has anyone tried both these and the MP4s? I'm curious how much extra forgiveness these pack over a true blade?

I have not hit the MP4 irons specifically, but in a blade vs MP-15 comparison you're bound to find some improved forgiveness. It won't be a ton, but any time you can move weight elsewhere is a good thing for golfers who aren't always hitting the center of the face. In the case of the MP-15, they aren't losing mass behind center so the perfect strikes still have that blade feedback - It's forgiveness without compromise as far as I'm concerned.

Can't wait to read that. They are pretty amazing to look at. Sometimes I just sit in the couch looking at them while drinking a fine single malt scotch

Do I need to send a chaperone over?

Still loving the way these irons perform for me. Get plenty of distance and love the sound/feel of impact. These irons are a lot more forgiving that they look.

Still loving the way these irons perform for me. Get plenty of distance and love the sound/feel of impact. These irons are a lot more forgiving that they look.
Yeah I see a lot of posts of people saying certain clubs look good but are way out of there league. I think if more people would just try them they would be surprised by the forgiveness.

Yeah I see a lot of posts of people saying certain clubs look good but are way out of there league. I think if more people would just try them they would be surprised by the forgiveness.

These are forgiving, kind of like a wife that sees you spent $200.00 at a strip club. She lets is slide, but she's not forgetting it anytime soon.

These are forgiving, kind of like a wife that sees you spent $200.00 at a strip club. She lets is slide, but she's not forgetting it anytime soon.
Wow, well in that case, I'm in trouble!!!

200 bucks at a strip club that mizuno would be sticking somewhere you couldn't see how shiny it was

Couldn't have said it better myself. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahahahah, that's awesome.

I covet these irons.... A lot. They look so good in hand.

Hahahahah, that's awesome.

I covet these irons.... A lot. They look so good in hand.

They look amazing. I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on AP2s and then I saw the pictures of these and couldn't wait to hit them. They were everything I was looking for in an iron. They look sexy as hell, feel great and have plenty of forgiveness. I've actually shot my personal best with these irons.

These are awesome. They look great and indeed provide a decent level of forgiveness when miss-hit.

Because of my hoe'ing ways, I have a set currently not in use and that probably won't get much use at all now that I just received my two new sets of Bridgestone J15's.

I didn't really know these existed till yesterday, when I hit one and instantly liked what I saw and felt. I've been trying a ton of various irons lately as I get ready for a full on fitting and a few have really stood out for me, these were a very pleasant surprise. I found myself going back to this one again and again. I didn't know a thing about the tech in them until looking it up here today, but Canadan's review confirms what I thought I was seeing/feeling yesterday. I kept thinking that this feels just like a blade, but there is something more going on with the small cavity and insert. Anyway, pretty freakin awesome combination they have here!

I didn't really know these existed till yesterday, when I hit one and instantly liked what I saw and felt. I've been trying a ton of various irons lately as I get ready for a full on fitting and a few have really stood out for me, these were a very pleasant surprise. I found myself going back to this one again and again. I didn't know a thing about the tech in them until looking it up here today, but Canadan's review confirms what I thought I was seeing/feeling yesterday. I kept thinking that this feels just like a blade, but there is something more going on with the small cavity and insert. Anyway, pretty freakin awesome combination they have here!

I was in a similar situation. Really liked the looks, feel and ball flight with the 15's. Then I tried the 54's and liked those better. Went to a Mizuno "Fitting Day" at a local course on Friday. I don't know why Mizuno calls it a "Fitting Day" when it was basically a self serve demo day. Anyhow, I was really liking the 54's with the CTL shaft but kept going back to the H5. I know you're considering several different sets but those H5's ended up the best option for me. Ordered a set of H5's. but since I'm a club Ho, I'll probably get a set of the 54's when sale season starts, :)

Good luck with whichever set you go with. They're all great irons!

After hitting a handful of various muscleback heads over the course of the last year or two, I'm certain that players looking for added forgiveness yet a retained "blade" profile will probably have the best luck with these heads -- Assuming they want a bit of additional perimeter forgiveness.

It's just such a great concept. Find a way to expand the material behind the misses without reducing any mass behind the best area to make contact. I really hope they find useful ways to expand and improve on this design.

Im absolutely smitten with the looks of these irons. So freaking beautiful.

Im absolutely smitten with the looks of these irons. So freaking beautiful.
You have good taste. These (and the MP 59's before them) are freaking gorgeous.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I was in a similar situation. Really liked the looks, feel and ball flight with the 15's. Then I tried the 54's and liked those better. Went to a Mizuno "Fitting Day" at a local course on Friday. I don't know why Mizuno calls it a "Fitting Day" when it was basically a self serve demo day. Anyhow, I was really liking the 54's with the CTL shaft but kept going back to the H5. I know you're considering several different sets but those H5's ended up the best option for me. Ordered a set of H5's. but since I'm a club Ho, I'll probably get a set of the 54's when sale season starts, :)

Good luck with whichever set you go with. They're all great irons!

I liked the H5's better than the 54's, but I like the 15's better than both. To me the MP-4's feel the best out of the whole bunch, but only on a good hit. Mishit a little and the good feeling is gone, obviously. The 15's have a feel that is as close as makes no difference to the 4's, but still offer a bit of forgiveness. I'm not going to dive in and order a set right away, but I am seriously considering ordering a single 7i/S300 that is fitted to me for an extended trial.

Back