Mizuno MP-15 Irons - THP Review Thread

Man these look so nice I almost wouldn't care shooting 90's with them.
Almost.

These have to be on my list for gorgeous irons.

Are these a mp-59 replacement?

An interesting quote from Tetsuya Kanayama – Senior R&D Team Member

“The MP-15 blends the best elements of two great tour irons – the MP-59 and MP-64. A really compact player’s iron, but with stability from off center strikes to provide the player forgiveness when they need it.”

Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful looking irons.

Looking forward to following along

Wow those are good looking. A bit out of my league, I feel.

That's an interesting comment about the 59 and 64 lines being blended here.

The MP-15 looks a lot like the MP-59 and it's prior versions. Very nice looking iron.

Can't deny that Mizuno knows how to make some gorgeous irons

I think of mizunos new lines these have me the most intrigued. I love the size and shape of the MP lines and with the added titanium right behind the hitting area and having that extra weight out on the toe and heel for a little more forgiveness is music to my ears.

I will certainly be following along with this one and look forward to your thoughts, Dan.

Blending the MP-59 and MP-64 lines plus added forgiveness??? Oh yeah, that will definitely work.

That's an interesting comment about the 59 and 64 lines being blended here.

The MP-15 looks a lot like the MP-59 and it's prior versions. Very nice looking iron.

The muscle area is very much mp64 inspired by its shape. What throws off any easy direct comparisons to the 64 is the badge over the Ti-muscle. The cavity area is a bit deeper than it was on both the 59 and 64 as well. Definitely has a bit more pop than both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm not near the HC range for these. But they sure are nice looking irons.

Have fun with the review Dan.

That in hand pick of the top line has me salivating. Such a good looking club.

I've hit these a couple times now, on course, on range, and in a garage on a mat. What seems to be prevalent throughout my experiences is just how unbelievably soft the contact feels when hitting the ball pure. One of those scenarios where the ball feels like putty on the iron face, even despite the cooler temperatures of the region.

Distance wise, I'm getting out of the MP15's what I expect. Dead center, really predictable numbers and flighting, with some distance loss on contact outside the sweet spot. It does seem like I can miss a bit more off center without big time distance losses, however as the profile would suggest, the best place for contact is still going to be in the center of the face. Not unlike other irons in the game enhancement sector of golf equipment, there is absolutely nothing forgiving about contact on the bottom groove. Awful dead fingers, but absolutely expected.

That player profile turf interaction is experienced with the MP-15's despite not having an exceptionally sharp leading edge. Not at all hard to drive into the ground, however I'm not feeling any digging.

Weighting is an interesting consideration for the MP-15s. Other golfers handling them noted their slightly heavy feel, and I can see where they are coming from. In personal preference, I've really enjoyed the extra weight towards the head, keeping my swing nice and smooth throughout.

The thought that keeps circling, after having gamed their Ti series and their MP series in the past (63, 36) -- They've done a great job of combining the tech for the benefit of the golfer. I love the idea of loading up the strike zone with mass, and that's accomplished beautifully by the Titanium insert. Throwing weight towards the heel and toe gives me confidence in knowing that I'm not going to be punished for minuscule mistakes.

More to come, I'm sure. Happy to answer any questions you may have as well.

Nice thoughts Dan. Hearing that thay are head heavy means I'm going to walk away and look else where.

Good stuff so far Dan. Me likey a little more weight, I want to hit these badly.

Good stuff Dan.

Nice thoughts Dan. Hearing that thay are head heavy means I'm going to walk away and look else where.

I think that's subjective, and it stems from what you're used to hitting, especially if you're not used to the heavier shafts (DGs are 128). I'd encourage you to get them in hand before making that distinction.

Dan, you typically have a high ball. Do you see these launching like your gamers or a bit lower? Also you say the distance is what you expected, what does that mean. Are they the same as your gamers or shorter? Also, these seem to possess that think hosel I have com to expect from Mizuno blades. Would you say these lean more toward a play type iron?

Like Dan said, I think the shaft has some impact. I actually had to add weight to tip to get the feel I wanted because they felt too light.

Nice work, Dan. Really enjoyed your thoughts.

The bottom groove comment makes me a little leery. My golf swing tends to live on the bottom groove. Ha.

But, I still would like to try these. I loved the 58s and 68s. I wasn't the biggest fan of the 64s (although only hit them on sim). I'd like to see which way these irons fall.

Dan, you typically have a high ball. Do you see these launching like your gamers or a bit lower? Also you say the distance is what you expected, what does that mean. Are they the same as your gamers or shorter? Also, these seem to possess that think hosel I have com to expect from Mizuno blades. Would you say these lean more toward a play type iron?

A bit too early to tell on ball flight. I'm not seeing flight that is irregular for a player profile with S300's though. I suppose that would make them a mid flight for most.

Distance wise I'm seeing similar numbers from the Bridgestone j40's (CB/DPC combo) -- Maybe a touch shorter, but that'd be the compensation of colder weather. I find the Mizuno's to have a bit more lively feel on pure strikes. Distance wise against the Nike Vapor Pro's i'm finding slightly better numbers with the Mizuno's, definitely more towards the heel. Similar flighting between the two.

I'm not sure the hosel is all that significant. I'd consider it to be a fairly standard size, but the offset is quite limited which seems to be indicative of a player iron for workability. It's definitely on the player iron spectrum, and Mizuno has it well entrenched in their MP line under Game enhancement.

Nice work, Dan. Really enjoyed your thoughts.

The bottom groove comment makes me a little leery. My golf swing tends to live on the bottom groove. Ha.

But, I still would like to try these. I loved the 58s and 68s. I wasn't the biggest fan of the 64s (although only hit them on sim). I'd like to see which way these irons fall.

Thanks Seth! I would imagine the number of game enhancement irons that genuinely forgive on the bottom groove is slim to none. It's up to the player to decide whether they are willing to compromise forgiveness on the extremes over control and workability. That in mind, it's hard to weight the feeling of putty on the clubface when the ball is struck pure on these irons.

A bit too early to tell on ball flight. I'm not seeing flight that is irregular for a player profile with S300's though. I suppose that would make them a mid flight for most.

Distance wise I'm seeing similar numbers from the Bridgestone j40's (CB/DPC combo) -- Maybe a touch shorter, but that'd be the compensation of colder weather. I find the Mizuno's to have a bit more lively feel on pure strikes. Distance wise against the Nike's i'm finding slightly better numbers with the Mizuno's, definitely more towards the heel. Similar flighting between the two.

I'm not sure the hosel is all that significant. I'd consider it to be a fairly standard size, but the offset is quite limited which seems to be indicative of a player iron for workability. It's definitely on the player iron spectrum, and Mizuno has it well entrenched in their MP line under Game enhancement.

You're right the hosel isn't important, just something I found similar in all their player irons. Thanks for responding

You're right the hosel isn't important, just something I found similar in all their player irons. Thanks for responding

Sorry if it didn't read clear -- I meant in size, not in relevance or preference (read my comments back and that might not have been clear).

There have definitely been irons I've grabbed and gawked at the hosels. These just seem to fit the profile well.

Back