Mizuno MP-20 Irons

Just got my order placed for a set of the HMBs 5i-PW with TT DG120 X-100s. Can't wait to game these! They truly are the best looking iron in their category to date!

Also - Budget Golf is really taking care of us here at THP! Thank you!
You’re going to love them.

Especially in the 8-PW, you’re not losing anything going with HMB there. At all.

@Jman r the px lz’s working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They kick like a mule. It’s wild for me.

Nice high flight, still no clue on spin though. We did our 18 hole 5i challenge with the HS boys today in the wind and cool and I can flight it well with the setup. No knocks so far!

Right on, so I take it u won’t b pulling them right away

You’re going to love them.

Especially in the 8-PW, you’re not losing anything going with HMB there. At all.

Yeah. Super excited to get these. Looks like I’m following your lead once again

Yeah. Super excited to get these. Looks like I’m following your lead once again

I think I will b following as well, I’m going to try hold off as long as I can but I am weak. Want to see what Ping bring out in the new year before I commit

After two straight weeks with these irons, playing almost every day, can't say enough good things about them. Just too bad they came out later in the year since I've hit them better than any iron I've ever had - even almost won the last tournament of the season at my club thanks to some fantastic iron shots. They really are an amazing iron with great feel and forgiveness; for a large percentage of the golfers that buy these, there is probably just no need to mix any MB's in. Go all HMB and you'll be thrilled.

Last edited:
Right on, so I take it u won’t b pulling them right away

Eh, it’s a long weekend solo with the Miles trio and I have some badass BB&F ferrules sitting around so who knows!

After two straight weeks with these irons, playing almost every day, can't say enough good things about them. Just too bad they came out later in the year since I've hit them better than any iron I've ever had - even almost won the last tournament of the season at my club thanks to some fantastic iron shots. They really are an amazing iron with great feel and forgiveness; for a large percentage of the golfers that buy these, there is probably just no need to mix any MB's in. Go all HMB and you'll be thrilled.
Tell us more about your specs. It sounds as is though you were lucky enough to get one of the first sets built. The rest of us are watching and waiting.....

But definitely worth the wait.

CONGRATULATIONS

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

For whatever it's worth for the Lefty's.

Which I totally sympathize. I am actually left handed. I just happen to play golf Right Handed.

The HMB'S are 2 degrees stronger in Lofts than the MB'S. They produce a 5 to 6 yard distance advantage. Which is probably a result of the Lofts. The main advantage is on shots hit low on the club face. On the bottom grooves. This is where the Hollow Bodied, and Tungsten Perimeter Weights shine. Producing a reasonable shots that will easily reach the green. Which is not something you expect from any Bladed Muscle Backs.

For most players with decent swing speeds the benefits become less favorable somewhere between the 6 and 7 Iron. As we leave the area of the scoring clubs, Wedges and Short Irons, the HMB'S rule.

But as you can imagine what is need from a Mid to Long Iron is not what is expected from a Scoring Clubs.

Here Distance control, Dispersion, Trajectory and Workability rule in the scoring Zone. Most players do not need Cavity backed Wedges.

But I truly Understand you regrets. They are offering Scoring Clubs (MB SEL) and some Assistance on the Top end of the Range (HMB). But if you just wanted a Complete matching set of HMB'S you are unfortunately left wanting MORE.

There is also very little other than appearance difference between the HMB'S and The MMC'S to warrant a MMC SEL. The have similar Lofts and produce similar launch, peak height, distance and dispersion in my hands.

In my Hands the MB'S produced higher Peak Height, and Decent Angles with greater Spin and control. And the difference in distance between the MB'S and the HMB'S wasn't even a half club length. So the benefits of a HMB, 8 iron thru PW, wasn't worth the loss of performance, precision and control. At the level of the 6 and 7 Iron it was a toss up. I could have easily gone either way, and decided on the basis of appearance. Since the MB'S were just a Tiny bit SHINIER.

Yes I said it. I pick a golf club because of the shiny Chrome finish that had turned my brain in Butter.

I was not put off by the Blade package of the MB'S. I had been playing the MP-5'S for years, since their release in the fall of 2015. And I might add the MP-20'S are more forgiving than the MP-4'S, MP-5'S, and MP-18'S MB Muscle Back. How???

I can't really say, but Mizuno added Copper and Voila. Magic.

Sorry for the Rant.

Hopefully someone will find something useful in my word.

Take care

Enjoy

I get this but my point is my lowest iron now is a 5 iron, I'm going hybrids with the 3 and 4. Alot of guys don't hit 3 and 4 irons. So I just don't see why Mizuno went this way for us lefties. No way I'm using blades on my 5, 6, and maybe 7 iron.

Initial thoughts.

MB: not an overly small blade length. These are smaller than the mp5s and feel to be around the size of mp4s. Beyond that, it is a blade. Have then 7-P. Pitching wedge looks much better than previous wedges. A lot sharper top line.

MMC: Noticably longer blade length compared to the MB. Has better feel than the mp18 mmc. Good blend with the MB. I have these in 5-6. Want to do more comparison of these vs my jpx 919 tour since these look to have a similar blade length but with more technology.

HMB: These have shallower faces than the mmc and mb. The ball really wants to jump off the face of this iron. Has a different sound compared to he other two but not offensive. Ordered 3 and 4, waiting on the 4.

Other thoughts. S taper looks and feels good. I hard stepped the stiffs. The z cord align is extremely firm. The rib is less noticeable than the mcc and tour velvet. Still need to do a gap testing to see if the 3 types of irons blend works.

Tell us more about your specs. It sounds as is though you were lucky enough to get one of the first sets built. The rest of us are watching and waiting.....

But definitely worth the wait.

CONGRATULATIONS

I did get mine quick since I was fortunate to already play the Modus 120 and stayed with them here. I imagine Mizuno had a slew of them on hand with the “stock” shafts, so that definitely helped. Adding to that, all stock L,L, & L which also sped up the process. Other than the MCC+4 grips, it was a quick and easy order.

Definitely finding them very forgiving with some great feel. Probably about the same distances (or maybe a tick more) than the 919F set I had used previously, but the heads just are so nice when ball contact is made. Even already noticing some face wear right in the middle, so I’ve been hitting them pretty well. My occasional miss is toe side, but if it’s not too far from the center of the face, the distance loss is essentially nothing. I’d easily say these are the best feeling irons I’ve ever hit, and from a few smacks with some MB’s in the higher lofts, couldn’t tell any difference between those and the HMB’s.

Overall, couldn’t be more thrilled with them, and since a friend is a Mizuno fitter/staffer, don’t see myself getting away from their gear. For anyone looking for a ton of performance and a whole lot of forgiveness, these are it.

I get this but my point is my lowest iron now is a 5 iron, I'm going hybrids with the 3 and 4. Alot of guys don't hit 3 and 4 irons. So I just don't see why Mizuno went this way for us lefties. No way I'm using blades on my 5, 6, and maybe 7 iron.
Its based on demands they have had over the years for not offering lefties a lot of bladed options.

Still loving mine. Hit almost every green when I played earlier in the week.

Every time I hear a big truck I run to the door hoping it's Fedex with my clubs. I have to leave in 2 hours for this afternoon's scramble. Come on!!!

My Initial reaction is that these clubs are amazing. The HMB irons in particular sound amazing - no different than the blades.

I am having fun with them.

Just got word that my 4 iron was delayed as well. Full set (minus the 4i) was sent out Monday, with the 4i being sent out today. No biggie as I am in Calgary and there is snow on the ground, but the back ordered 4 iron is definitely happening.

They kick like a mule. It’s wild for me.

Nice high flight, still no clue on spin though. We did our 18 hole 5i challenge with the HS boys today in the wind and cool and I can flight it well with the setup. No knocks so far!

18 hole 5i challenge, that sounds fun. So... two clubs, 5i and putter?

Well, it's official, nothing feels like a Mizuno. Interesting test here with the current hollow bodies:

18 hole 5i challenge, that sounds fun. So... two clubs, 5i and putter?
Nope, I make them putt with the 5i as well! :devilish:

Biggest thing about 5i for all shots (other than the putts which are just for hilarity) it actually shows them how they can get around the course still when other clubs aren’t working. Most score better overall doing it because they avoid hazards. Plus it teaches them how to play golf in the crazy Oklahoma winds.

Back