Mizuno Pro 221, 223, 225 and Fli-Hi Irons

i have a 19* uw and a 21.5* fli hi. the uw has a ton more pop, whereas the fli hi is more about control. if i can get the fli hi in the air, anyone can, so i think that speaks volumes to where it fits in the driving iron segment. it isn't crazy low spin, it does elevate nicely, and it's decently forgiving. fwiw i've never tried any other driving irons, i just went with this one for some gapping. i've since acquired a jpx 923 fli hi hybrid at 20*, which is making a strong case to be the better club for my specific needs.
Thank you. That's quite helpful. From what I have read, it seems like the Pro Fli-Hi offers a lot of ball speed and good forgiveness for a driving iron. I'm looking to fill that elusive spot between my 3w and 4i. Accuracy off the tee would be where I would put the most importance.

Thank you. That's quite helpful. From what I have read, it seems like the Pro Fli-Hi offers a lot of ball speed and good forgiveness for a driving iron. I'm looking to fill that elusive spot between my 3w and 4i. Accuracy off the tee would be where I would put the most importance.

full disclosure, off the tee is where i really struggled with the fli hi. BUT, that's not an issue with the club. my contact was extreme toe, so obviously i was doing something very wrong in the swing. but for a club i pulled for point-and-shoot accuracy off the tee, i was missing way too often.

for whatever reason i was a lot more consistent off the deck with the fli hi. the jpx 923 fli hi hybrid was given me more consistency off tee and deck.

I have absolutely loved mine off the tee for that purpose.

another amazing round with the pro 225s today. my favorite shot of the day was the tough par 4 17th. i hit a crappy drive, and left myself 175. there is water to the right of the green, and the greenside collection area left of the green runs steeply away leaving an all but impossible up and down. i had the confidence to go after the shot, and stuck the ball to within 15'. on all but my worst swings, these irons are on or just around pretty much every green.

now i get why so many people have raved about these irons. they're perfect for their class. i can't think of anything they sacrifice.

another stellar round with the 225. i got paired with a few high school kids who were pretty smitten with these irons. i let one of them hit my 8i on a 160 par 3. the kid had a lot of speed, and even though he thinned it a little it still flew dead straight 170+ to the back of the green. these irons rule.

another stellar round with the 225. i got paired with a few high school kids who were pretty smitten with these irons. i let one of them hit my 8i on a 160 par 3. the kid had a lot of speed, and even though he thinned it a little it still flew dead straight 170+ to the back of the green. these irons rule.
I hit the 225 a couple times the other just for fun, and they are fun. Had a store other say something interesting to me too. That they continue to out sell the 923 HMP by a wide margin. Moving stock sets as quick as they get refreshed. Little different clubs, but the HMP are new and they are great too, so that was interesting to hear. Says a lot about the 225 to me.

i have a 19* uw and a 21.5* fli hi. the uw has a ton more pop, whereas the fli hi is more about control. if i can get the fli hi in the air, anyone can, so i think that speaks volumes to where it fits in the driving iron segment. it isn't crazy low spin, it does elevate nicely, and it's decently forgiving. fwiw i've never tried any other driving irons, i just went with this one for some gapping. i've since acquired a jpx 923 fli hi hybrid at 20*, which is making a strong case to be the better club for my specific needs.
I have this exact same setup, and could not agree more. I use the Fli-Hi off the tee on anything under 400 yards at this point, and the UW when I am on my second or third shot and don't have confidence in my 3w from a given lie, or want the ball to have a better chance of stopping.

I asked it in the Apex UW thread, so will ask it here too: has anyone hit both the Apex UW and the Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi? Thoughts? Comparison?
I have both in the bag currently. @McLovin basically nailed the answer. But to add a bit, I think the Fli-Hi is easier to hit when the ball is up a bit. I can also get the Fli-Hi to draw much easier than the UW. I basically treat the UW as a 5w distance wise. Both are really easy to hit, but I have been smitten with the Fli-Hi. I have not found a ton of success using it from the rough, however.

Someone give me a comparison in feel on the 223s vs the JPX forged.

I have not hit the JPX 921 Forged. But I have the 223s in my bag now and they are buttery to say the least. They are fantastic, and probably play a bit more forgiving than what the shape would suggest.

I have not hit the JPX 921 Forged. But I have the 223s in my bag now and they are buttery to say the least. They are fantastic, and probably play a bit more forgiving than what the shape would suggest.
I’ve hit them both but never really close to each other. Just wonder if someone owns both.

Do you mean the 921 forged since 923 arent out yet? If so, yes I've hit (and owned) both. The 223s definitely feel softer although I thought the JPX felt pretty darn good too. The scoring clubs in the 223 are 1025E same as the 221, and just feel like butter.

Do you mean the 921 forged since 923 arent out yet? If so, yes I've hit (and owned) both. The 223s definitely feel softer although I thought the JPX felt pretty darn good too. The scoring clubs in the 223 are 1025E same as the 221, and just feel like butter.
The JPX 923 Forged and Tour are in the hands of fitters now. I have my heads.

The JPX 923 Forged and Tour are in the hands of fitters now. I have my heads.
Well then I’ll stop by tomorrow and have a go

Been dealing with a bit of a tennis elbow issue over the last 2 months and now it seems to be clearning up a bit. Was able to get out into the garage lately to hit some balls with the 225's finally since I can't get outside (48" of snow over the last month or so)...

They continue to impress me as they are so easy to hit and the feel is just pure. Hopefully in the next few months I'll be able to get out to play since I'll be in the Pensacola area multiple times a month for the foreseable future. Otherwise, I'll wait until this awful snow melts to get on the course to play them once again.

Been dealing with a bit of a tennis elbow issue over the last 2 months and now it seems to be clearning up a bit. Was able to get out into the garage lately to hit some balls with the 225's finally since I can't get outside (48" of snow over the last month or so)...

They continue to impress me as they are so easy to hit and the feel is just pure. Hopefully in the next few months I'll be able to get out to play since I'll be in the Pensacola area multiple times a month for the foreseable future. Otherwise, I'll wait until this awful snow melts to get on the course to play them once again.

i am so in love with the feel. excellent feedback for an iron this forgiving. and when you catch one you know it’s roasted!

i am so in love with the feel. excellent feedback for an iron this forgiving. and when you catch one you know it’s roasted!
That's what I can't wait to feel again.... the whole "holy s85t that one is going forever" feeling...

Only 4 more months....

7 wood 7 wood 7 wood

I like the 223 because they feel like the forged. It's similar. Material, micro slot, all of that gives the fast but good feel off the face. Been a bit, but the 223 maybe a little more solid.

I think my 221s are going to find a new home very soon. Best MBs I've ever owned so it was a long painful journey to the decision, but if I'm being 💯 it came down to the gap wedge.

Maybe next time.

Last edited:
Back