Mizuno Pro 221, 223, 225 and Fli-Hi Irons

I hope to hit these off turf in March? But given the clubs I’m coming from, i would imagine these will be an improvement.

how different are we taking between 223 and 225?

I hope to hit these off turf in March? But given the clubs I’m coming from, i would imagine these will be an improvement.

225 are going to be lower spinning by nature, but, they’re also easier to launch. Add in the forgiveness difference and the 225 is the club for the majority imo.

That said, Vosh has said for a long time the 223 were special, it’s all about what you prefer to look at.

225 looks slightly taller at address. What I observed is that the 225 is a rocket and so is the 223 but the 223 will have more spin and less distance for most. I found the 225 in 5i very easy to launch high - launching is not an issue in the Recoil 95. I think the Recoil and Mizuno are a good combo.

Turf interaction is different for everyone - I would not worry about it. Something I need to confirm just for me. Just chill for now.:ROFLMAO: I am nitpicking. You will love the 225 or 223. Tremendous irons.

Last edited:
I’m stuck at home all week. Could see the trigger finger getting a bit itchy….

225 looks slightly taller at address. What I observed is that the 225 is a rocket and so is the 223 but the 223 will have more spin and less distance for most. I found the 225 in 5i very easy to launch high - launching is not an issue in the Recoil 95. I think the Recoil and Mizuno are a good combo.

Turf interaction is different for everyone - I would not worry about it. Something I need to confirm just for me. Just chill for now.:ROFLMAO: I am nitpicking. You will love the 225 or 223. Tremendous irons.
Appreicate you taking time to reply with your observations.

I’m stuck at home all week. Could see the trigger finger getting a bit itchy….

Do it :unsure:... who knows when lead times might get longer.o_O

So, for me, went through the bag again, focused more on smooth swings and the inside side of the face contact was improved upon. Based on the Rapsodo - I am getting more distance and higher ball speeds (obviously) than from my old clubs and the differences are significant, I am talking 5 yards or more. I do only have 1 session of about 10 balls per club - and the six iron (for no known reason) and I are not getting along - maybe I need to check the loft on that club but it's getting distances very similar to the 7, while there is the expected jump in the 5 iron. Could be a mental thing - as I said, far too soon to tell. But for me the 4 Fli Hi - this thing feels good, looks good and seems like it will stay in the bag. I am removing my 5 wood, adjusting the 3 wood to 4 wood loft and the current hybrid to 19 degrees so the gaps I think are where they should be.

Cannot wait for warmer temps. And if I have to get the hernia fixed I want to do it now.

Last edited:
So, for me, went through the bag again, focused more on smooth swings and the inside side of the face contact was improved upon. Based on the Rapsodo - I am getting more distance and higher ball speeds (obviously) from my old clubs and the differences are significant, I am talking 5 yards or more. I do only have 1 session of about 10 balls per club - and the six iron (for no known reason) and I are not getting along - maybe I need to check the loft on that club but it's getting distances very similar to the 7, while there is the expected jump in the 5 iron. Could be a mental thing - as I said, far too soon to tell. But for me the 4 Fli Hi - this thing feels good, looks good and seems like it will stay in the bag. I am removing my 5 wood, adjusting the 3 wood to 4 wood loft and the current hybrid to 19 degrees so the gaps I think are where they should be.

Cannot wait for warmer temps. And if I have to get the hernia fixed I want to do it now.
If you have only one session, I would recommend not falling victim to paralysis by over analysis. ;)

So, for me, went through the bag again, focused more on smooth swings and the inside side of the face contact was improved upon. Based on the Rapsodo - I am getting more distance and higher ball speeds (obviously) from my old clubs and the differences are significant, I am talking 5 yards or more. I do only have 1 session of about 10 balls per club - and the six iron (for no known reason) and I are not getting along - maybe I need to check the loft on that club but it's getting distances very similar to the 7, while there is the expected jump in the 5 iron. Could be a mental thing - as I said, far too soon to tell. But for me the 4 Fli Hi - this thing feels good, looks good and seems like it will stay in the bag. I am removing my 5 wood, adjusting the 3 wood to 4 wood loft and the current hybrid to 19 degrees so the gaps I think are where they should be.

Would not worry about it right now. Good work on the swing. If it continues, it's either loft, lie or shaft - you can check them out and adjust them.

Does anyone know which shafts in particular Mizuno has backorders on? It seems KBS shafts may be, but which ones in particular? If anyone happens to know....?

I just called a retailer a few minutes ago. He said that KBS is the only one that appears very slow, although they are slightly improving.

Mine were not quite as long as my previous set either. However, the lofts are not as strong and it’s cold out here. Not to mention my swing is not where it was when I last played. My advice is see where you are at when it warms up and worry less about 5 yards lost with an iron. That could very easily be weaker lofts. Learn distances for your new sticks and don’t worry about it.

Guys with the 223s, have you had a chance to spend some time hitting the 7i and 8i back to back? Any thoughts on the feel/sound, etc., related to the difference in construction? TIA ...

FORGED CHROMOLY WITH FLOW MICROSLOT (4-7 IRON)
Efficiently provides higher ball speeds in the 4-7 iron, focusing on higher launching 4 irons, incremental toe heel weighting 5 and 6 iron, and smooth transition to the scoring irons.

1025E PURE SELECT MILD CARBON STEEL 8-PW
For ultimate precision and control where needed.

Guys with the 223s, have you had a chance to spend some time hitting the 7i and 8i back to back? Any thoughts on the feel/sound, etc., related to the difference in construction? TIA ...

Efficiently provides higher ball speeds in the 4-7 iron, focusing on higher launching 4 irons, incremental toe heel weighting 5 and 6 iron, and smooth transition to the scoring irons.

I saw no issue. Just like I didn't with the transition in the 921 Forged. Its a non-issue IMO.

OOF apologies, i had written the last post to fast. I wanted to say other than the 6 iron EVERYTHING was BETTER with the 225s over my last set.

thanks @Jman @Desmond abs @Stryker for your comments and does noticing my error!

225 are going to be lower spinning by nature, but, they’re also easier to launch. Add in the forgiveness difference and the 225 is the club for the majority imo.

That said, Vosh has said for a long time the 223 were special, it’s all about what you prefer to look at.

There is something super unique about that 223. Having hit them a few times I have not been able to put my finger on it. It is a "the whole is greater than the sum" deal..

I can not wait to get my pre-order set of 225's. Seeing all these other pics in hand are making me quite jealous! Hoping mine get delivered on the release date even with being a custom order. Order has been in since Dec. 20 so hopefully they're not far back in the queue.

There is something super unique about that 223. Having hit them a few times I have not been able to put my finger on it. It is a "the whole is greater than the sum" deal..

My son's instructor hit my 223 and 4 Fli-Hi today.

He's putting in his order tonight with Recoil Proto 110.

:ROFLMAO:

He loved the look, loved the feel, loved the distance. He did hit that 7i and 4 Fli-Hi far far.

He also loved the look of the 225.

Last edited:

I've spent two short range sessions - I will hit them again tomorrow paying more attention. But both days, I did not shake my head questioning them, when going between 7i and 8i. I just thought, "Darn, that felt good."

Apologies if this has already been discussed in the thread but how do these compare size wise to other contenders in the same category (IE players distance etc)?

Back