Mizuno Pro 221, 223, 225 and Fli-Hi Irons

Vosh dishing out on the 223's

Not totally surprising people would fight more distance but I think having more distance in irons opens up the bag for more options.

Called Mizuno yesterday....
Still have 3 weeks left for my order, they are quoting 8 weeks from the time of order. Sigh....
Mid May can't come soon enough.

Finally got to see what the 225s can do with a good swing and they did not disappoint. Had a really solid round with them. Nice high ball flight with good stopping power. The 5 iron has some serious pop to it. The feel on them is just so good. It's night and day compared to other irons of this style. Mizuno just nailed it.

Last edited:
Hit the 223s again today. So good!

Called Mizuno yesterday....
Still have 3 weeks left for my order, they are quoting 8 weeks from the time of order. Sigh....
Mid May can't come soon enough.
8 weeks is what I was told as well. That's how long it took for my HMPs so I was expecting it.

Hit the 223s again today. So good!
Received my 223's with the Project X IO 6.0 about last Monday. Now have 3 rounds under my belt and I love them.
Upgraded from 900 Forged. I have gained just shy 10 yards of distance and the feel of the hit has been awesome.
I am actually shocked by how much smother they fell and how effortless the hits seem. Mostly surprised by how easy it is to get the 4i up.
Used to hate hitting the 900F 4i, very confident about hitting the 223 4i.

Initially had an issue with the Gap wedge but I think that got straightened out on the back nine this morning. Need to be paitent with it and not rush the hit.

Only other issue from a scoring perspective is getting the distances down. Had a couple go over the pin and off the back of the green due to just hitting them too well. Not flyers, I was just being aggressive to a back pin position and I was not accounting for the extra distance. Right now I figure that this is a good problem to have to work through.

All my worries about these clubs are gone. I am very excited about having a great year with them, feel I am in mid July form already.

I got out for the first 9 holes with the new 225s. Mostly positive but going to take a few rounds and range sessions to get used to them. Absolutely loved the 7-GW and the 4 iron. Was having trouble squaring up the face on the few 6 irons I hit. But that’s more of a me problem than the clubs.

I went with the 225 over the 223 because I was launching and spinning them the same but the 225 were going a bit straighter with a bit more distance. Will admit I’m a tad worried they may go too far but it’s only been 9 holes and there’s no way to return them anyways. But very first hole I airmailed the green from 145 yards with the PW. I’m just not sure I need a 150+ yard PW haha I had a fair share of misses long but I kind of figured that would be the case as I was hitting these further in the fitting than my previous set. Hopefully I get them dialed in over the next few rounds. Was fit into the Nippon Modus 105 X shafts which are lighter than what I’m used to. Going to take some time getting used to the lighter weight I think.

They feel absolutely glorious though when struck nicely and aren’t too punishing on the misses. Just need to gain confidence in the distances and shot shape as the range was closed already by the time I got to the course. My miss previously has been an overdraw which was still happening when I went after it. But the smoother swing I’ve been working on gave me a much straighter ball flight and slight fade.

Going to take some time to convince myself to start aiming just left of the target and trust the shot shape. Hit some really nice approaches that finished on the right side of the green or just off the right which is about where I was aiming since I was still playing for the draw.

Finally got a change to hit my 225s. First impression... I giggled like a little kid smiling ear to ear.

For the past month I haven't been able to play or get any range time in because of life. I was a bit worried since I'm the type of guy that loses his swing FAST if I'm not hitting balls on a regular basis. I'll say this, these 225s feel so good and natural that the rust shook of quickly. The pop off the face is quite a bit different than the CF19s they're replacing, but they feel so much softer. Something that I was looking for in my upgrade. Moving back to steel from graphite was another thing I was worried about not only because of the weight but feel at impact. No issues at all on that front. The Project X IO felt so smooth throughout the swing and at impact that it was a non factor. The increase shaft weight actually helped me settle down my transition which is something I've been struggling with for months. If there were a negative (I'm being VERY picky because I know its my swing not the club) my new miss is on the heel, with my CF19s my miss were on the toe. Even with that I wasn't seeing a huge penalty other than distance. With exception of the 4 hosel rockets I fired off to the right 🤣🤣

IBut very first hole I airmailed the green from 145 yards with the PW. I’m just not sure I need a 150+ yard PW haha I had a fair share of misses long but I kind of figured that would be the case as I was hitting these further in the fitting than my previous set. Hopefully I get them dialed in over the next few rounds.

what distance were you hitting your PW before and what was your prior set? This is why I went ahead ordered the GW. My 225s are still on order, but only about a week away. I picked up 15 yards on my trusty Ping G25 6 iron in the fitting.

Anybody with some playing time on the 225s that came from HMPs? How would you compare the two?

what distance were you hitting your PW before and what was your prior set? This is why I went ahead ordered the GW. My 225s are still on order, but only about a week away. I picked up 15 yards on my trusty Ping G25 6 iron in the fitting.
Played PXG Gen3 T last year. PW was a 125-130 yard club. The approach on first hole at my home course seems to play a bit shorter than the number but the few times I hit the 225 PW yesterday, it seems like it’s going to comfortably be a 140-145 yard club. I got the GW as well which should settle in at 125-130 ideally (don’t think I hit the GW all day other than a few chips around the green that felt nice).

Anybody with some playing time on the 225s that came from HMPs? How would you compare the two?
I currently have the HMPs. I went to a fitting thinking I might replace the HMPs with the 225s because I have the MP Hot Metal Blade driving iron and like it so much. I only hit the 225 7i and didn't see much of a difference so not worth making a change there. I went ahead and did combo set of 221/223 instead, ha.

Had my wrist day with my combo in recent memory. Totally on me. And decided to practice L->R this week, which isn't my strength, so maybe not that surprising. Would hit one, not the way I wanted. Try harder on another, go worse. Lol Give up temporarily, repeat.

Circled back around and hit a few approaches into 2 holes working on it, and strike and flight and result moved around a bit fighting it, but boy, distance sure didn't. I mean within a yard like clockwork. And I kinda heeled one really trying to get it to move. Took video to see what the heck I'm doing and not doing after, but in the moment that distance consistency really stood out. It's been really impressive with these, especially considering how strong the 223 feel off the face. Big fan.

Fli-Hi remains just FILTHY fun. I've never been this in love with a utility.

I need to go demo the fli-hi. I ordered 4i-GW in the 225s, but will have a gap between my 3W and 4i so maybe a spot for the 19*

Just hit the 7 week mark so hopefully I'll have them by end of next week.

Put an AD DI Hybrid shaft into my Fli-hi and it was really good in my last round. Great addition to my bag.

To be a picky interweb golfer for just a second though - I think they could have made the blade length bit shorter. It is kinda huge.
Give me more toe and I'll find more toe....

Put an AD DI Hybrid shaft into my Fli-hi and it was really good in my last round. Great addition to my bag.

To be a picky interweb golfer for just a second though - I think they could have made the blade length bit shorter. It is kinda huge.

Rather the toe than the boot? ;)

Big fat fatty. It's seriously kept it out of my bag. I struggle with it.

Big fat fatty. It's seriously kept it out of my bag. I struggle with it.
I freaking love the fli hi. I love when I get to pull it from my bag and rip it. I and a 3 and 4 but 4 is the main stay in my bag. It a club that I just know is going where I want it.

I love all the clubs honestly. I do slightly wish I had gone fli hi then straight 221 irons but whatever.. no biggie.

I freaking love the fli hi. I love when I get to pull it from my bag and rip it. I and a 3 and 4 but 4 is the main stay in my bag. It a club that I just know is going where I want it.

I love all the clubs honestly. I do slightly wish I had gone fli hi then straight 221 irons but whatever.. no biggie.
I get it. There's a lot to love. 😜

And it performs. It's a good time.

I get it. There's a lot to love. 😜

And it performs. It's a good time.
I can understand the fat boy criticizing of the fli hi. It is a little chunky. But after I have hit a few times and it has gone well I got over it lol.

the 221s are an almost perfect iron. There are a couple small things I would change but they are very minor.

Back