Mizuno RB Tour and RB Tour X Golf Ball Review Thread

2 more rounds with the Tour model, 36 holes with the same ball. Hit several bunker shots, otherwise drives, irons, wedges and putts.

I see very, very slight wear on the dimples after 36, but no scuffs or marks and will put it back in play tomorrow.

Still has very similar performance to the Snell MTB Black I have played last 2 years.

I should also note we had 10-15 mph winds at times today, no noticeable difficulty with control in those winds. Held its line well. Also workable, had to hit a gap wedge around a very tall tree and it did its job with a nice, high draw.

Who is still playing these, or thinking about wanting to try them this coming year? I found and X on course today and it made me think of this thread. I haven't played it in a bit. And then I randomly came across this video of the X from some of my early testing.

I thought I had posted it but it's not in this thread. I did like the iron performance of the X for me.

Who is still playing these, or thinking about wanting to try them this coming year? I found and X on course today and it made me think of this thread. I haven't played it in a bit. And then I randomly came across this video of the X from some of my early testing.

I thought I had posted it but it's not in this thread. I did like the iron performance of the X for me.

I'll try them this year but I'll admit that my enthusiasm is merely luke warm.

I was all in on on the OG RB Tour. In 2019, not sure if it was the first year of release or just when I became aware of them, I grabbed a dozen immediately once I'd read that the RB Tour was geared towards those with a negative AOA with driver. Hand raised, at the time, that was me.

Man, that first dozen, I absolutely loved 'em. Really good distance, stable flight, and I just happened to make more birdies while playing them. Completely and without question, I believed that I found my new ball.

But then I bought my next dozen.

Where I'd read previously that others commented about a severe lacking wrt durability, I just never experienced that with my first box. But with the next, good gosh, it was awful. Smiley-face? For real? I mean, I hadn't witnessed a smiley face cut into a cover with wedge since my dad's old balata balls. But with these? It happened two or three times over the first couple of sleeves. Obviously, at least to me, QC was for trash and I was disgusted.

But the performance had always been great for me, just the lightening fast turnover as to damage, was ridiculous. Since '19, including to this day sitting upon the shelf in my closet, I've always kept a dozen RB Tour on hand.

But I've turned to them less and less over time. If the new version can manage to improve upon playing characteristics yet more importantly, durability, I'd likely be all in and without a second thought.

But I'm a golfer with trust issues, LOL... With considerable trepidation born from durability misdirection, I'll just have to wait and see.

They'll be my go to ball going forward. I have to try the RB before I make a choice but I really liked the RB Tour X.

I'm taking an RB Tour to the SIM today and will compare it against PV1. To get some numbers.

I'm taking an RB Tour to the SIM today and will compare it against PV1. To get some numbers.
I deleted all the videos and data it was useless. I’ll try to go back one day this or next week. Maybe I’ll put a better swing out there then.

Used these balls again today and while I like the overall performance of the ball I started to see a lot more wear on the balls as I was going through the round. I was down to my last 3 new balls and 2 of them didn't make it through the round. I really want to like these but will stay with the CSX LS for the foreseeable future.

Used these balls again today and while I like the overall performance of the ball I started to see a lot more wear on the balls as I was going through the round. I was down to my last 3 new balls and 2 of them didn't make it through the round. I really want to like these but will stay with the CSX LS for the foreseeable future.

definitely perform well, if they get the durability figured out they could have something really nice on their hands

Neat little video here.

Local golf shop had a sleeve of the RB Tour X out yesterday, so I decided to give them a try. The RB Tour was really good for me and still has me pondering a switch to it from the QST, so I figured I might as try the X as well. Not sure it will fit me as well as the RB Tour, but it'll be fun to test it out.

Played 9 holes with the RB tour today. Great ball. Flies great, has good spin, feels good off the putter. I lost 1 ball after 6 holes, so I couldn't get a good look at the durability. Didn't notice anything though when I would pick up the ball on the putting green

Really happy with the ball. Really a no brainer at the price point

I played 9 holes with the RB Tour X over the weekend. It was cold and there was a little bit of a breeze, but nothing terrible. Not sure if the cold had that much impact on distance or if the X is just shorter for me or maybe it was a combination of both. I was hitting the ball pretty well, but just kept coming up short on approaches. The ball felt firmer than the RB Tour, but wasn't bad at all. Like the RB Tour, around the green is where it shined for me. My only pars were from getting up down. I love the extra spin and control I have around the greens. After I started back playing the QST, that's the biggest difference I noticed. Not quite as much spin on chips and pitches. I want to play the X again on a warmer day and see how I feel about it. Right now, I think the RB Tour is the better of the two for me and it still has me contemplating a switch from the QST. I think I need to try the Chrome Soft next and then maybe decide on one ball for 2023 and stick to it.

i played the new rb tour x for a full round today. this was the first time i’ve put the new ball in play since the victory cup back in september, as i haven’t been able to find them locally.

unfortunately i don’t think i’ll be switching to this as my gamer ball. i’ve been striking my irons well, and this ball was consistently about 1/2-3/4 short of my previous gamer ball. not only that, i had to take 2 balls out of rotation due to rashing from the normal course of play.

i still stand behind this ball being a massive improvement over the previous generation. but for me and my needs i don’t think it outperforms what i had been gaming. i’ll work my way through the rest of the dozen and might feel differently.

I was at PGATSS today and stood in front of these thinking for a bit. If other premium offerings are moving to $55 then I think this is a compelling enough offering to give them a shot. If it weren't January in Chicago I would have grabbed some to test out.

The two balls I tend to like best are Callaway CSX-LS and the Titleist Tour Speed. Do either of these compare closely in performance/feel to those balls?

The two balls I tend to like best are Callaway CSX-LS and the Titleist Tour Speed. Do either of these compare closely in performance/feel to those balls?

i don’t have experience with tour speed. i would say both rb models feel better than csxls but will both be higher spin and probably a little slower but not much.

After suffering a torn oblique the day before Thanksgiving, I was finally able to get back out on the course this week. I brought a sleeve of the RB Tour and the X for today's round. I normally play the Z-Star, either the regular or the Diamond, but if those aren't available, I'd happily play the regular Tour RB. I really wanted to like the X, but the spin was just much more than I ever want to see in my game. We had pretty receptive greens today after some overnight rain, but these X balls were spinning back like they were on a rubber band. I fired three different wedge shots today that spun all the way back off the green. I much prefer the hop and stop. I get that from the regular RB Tour.

Vosh talking new generation.

I murdered two of these today.

One on just a regular 50° wedge shot on a 115y par 3. And another with a 54° wedge out of the bunker.

FA52B97D-60F7-4E42-AE43-F3BBD572AE43.jpeg

Sand:
64436D25-821C-4DEF-891B-06B6A1BB1F3B.jpeg
I genuinely want to love them, but they still need to work on durability

Last edited:
🙁

I've definitely had worse luck with that with the X.
Yes, that is what I’ve found too. I’ve played both extensively and the RB Tour are the more durable of the two. I’ve been wanting some more spin lately so got a box of X’s.

When I play them moving forward it will be the RB Tour.

Put an RB tour in play again today
I really like the ball, and think it is priced very competitively
I probably played the same ball for 13 or so holes, and didn't have any strange wear. Some normal wear, but none of the "flaking"

Flies far, very good. I've been playing the Q-star tour as of late, and I think the RB tour is a bit crisper off the face and a little better around the greens. just my feels. I have no concrete data to prove it :LOL:

• Appreciation
Reactions: Bus
Not arguing with you, but the Mizuno USA site suggests (hard to be sure) the new ones look to be silver (or black if you use the RBX). I don't have any sleeves left of the old balls (and I don't have any of the new), so you may well be 100% correct, I was just over at the site, recalled this question and took a peak. Maybe the photos on their site are the old - and the developer/updater is not a golf person.

Back