DUDE. Remember when I was hitting it at HQ? I had to switch heads because it was so low
It was LOW. It’s fast as hell, but man it’s low spin.

was able to hit this yesterday and I have mixed emotions. It definitely performed for me but the sound was awful IMO. Maybe outdoors it sounds different but initial reaction is this is not a driver id want to hit repeatedly. I know sound is something stupid to complain about if it performs but it bothers me enough to not want to play something I dont like the sound of

Performance wise, just like the previous 2 G series, this was super low spin. I hit 13 launch and sub 2000 spin over and over. For my offseason swing I was very impressed with the speed also. I didnt get to play around with all the weights but properly fitted I think this would be a very tough driver to beat head to head

was able to hit this yesterday and I have mixed emotions. It definitely performed for me but the sound was awful IMO. Maybe outdoors it sounds different but initial reaction is this is not a driver id want to hit repeatedly. I know sound is something stupid to complain about if it performs but it bothers me enough to not want to play something I dont like the sound of

Performance wise, just like the previous 2 G series, this was super low spin. I hit 13 launch and sub 2000 spin over and over. For my offseason swing I was very impressed with the speed also. I didnt get to play around with all the weights but properly fitted I think this would be a very tough driver to beat head to head

i think the sound is good. Maybe try it outside.

It's definitely louder, as all drivers are, indoors. Much different sound outside. If you need more spin try different shafts and balls. After I move things around with tons of trial and error I'm loving this driver. I have mine set up in the upright position huge difference for me.

PS I'm deaf if I can determine the difference inside/outside you can too.

Currently gaming an ST-Z, which I love, but I'm very tempted to check this bad boy out.

Sounds good outside. In cold weather, it sounds even better in my experience. It is a low spinner.

Had to bump up this thread since, after completely discounting this driver, I hit I today on a whim. Wow. Was totally blown away by it. Haven’t swung a club in over four months, and with no warm-up, was just seeing fantastic results on the launch monitor. With driver speed hanging in there just above 105, the numbers were great. Not to mention, it felt and sounded fantastic. I’ve been on the fence between a 425LST and ST-X, but I think this one is kicking out both of them. Total surprise for sure - for anyone thinking of trying it, don’t be put off by it being labeled as ultra-low spin.

Todays influx of Mizuno driver stuff made me think about this driver. How low spin would it be in comparison to the 220z with the weights in the back?

Todays influx of Mizuno driver stuff made me think about this driver. How low spin would it be in comparison to the 220z with the weights in the back?

Looks like the G still beats it out:

Looks like the G still beats it out:

That’s the old Z….and I can say having done that comparison as well, the G is still lower launching and spinning than the Z. The G might be the lowest spinning and launching head I tested this year.

That’s the old Z….and I can say having done that comparison as well, the G is still lower launching and spinning than the Z. The G might be the lowest spinning and launching head I tested this year.

i will validate this statement.

From what I'm seeing, I second this. I may have to put the weights in the back or loft it up. I'm still not quite sure what I just said outloud.

From what I'm seeing, I second this. I may have to put the weights in the back or loft it up. I'm still not quite sure what I just said outloud.
You are typically a very high ball hitter are you not?

I had to do both, and it was still not quite enough. But on the nuts, filthy long.

I can say unequivocally that when I was in Georgia for the Project X Experience with Mizuno that @+7 KPTT was hitting absolute BOMBS with the ST-G. I never did try this one out as @Vosh68 immediately recognized I needed the added forgiveness of the ST-Z 😆

You are typically a very high ball hitter are you not?
I am, yes. For me, this thing is like hitting wind cheaters. In current neutral mid flight setup at 9 degrees, I wouldn’t at all be surprised if I was launching 8-10 degrees on a normal swing. Normal for me was 13-16.

I’m playing next Thursday, but I’ll charge up my BLP and hit a few balls with it on Wednesday or so and see if I can do a bit of fine tuning. Or aggressive tuning. I’m aiming for like 12-14 launch and something in the low to mid 2000’s for spin.

To back up what @Jman said, this thing is pretty filthy when you catch it. It does for me have a fade bias, so that’s not a bad thing. My course doesn’t super punish you with a fade on most holes. You fight the doglegs a bit, and on one hole in particular, a hard miss right is having you rattle around in the trees.

As someone who is 15-20 handicap and struggles a little with distance (210-220ish carry) would this be too low spinning for me? Ball speed maxes out around 140mph, no idea what my usual spin numbers are.

I like the level of adjustability and Golfworx are doing a deal with this and the ST-Z 3W for just over $510 which is a great price for two clubs.

Hoping to see my swing and distance improve a bit this year too so the adjustability makes sense from that perspective too.

As someone who is 15-20 handicap and struggles a little with distance (210-220ish carry) would this be too low spinning for me? Ball speed maxes out around 140mph, no idea what my usual spin numbers are.

I like the level of adjustability and Golfworx are doing a deal with this and the ST-Z 3W for just over $510 which is a great price for two clubs.

Hoping to see my swing and distance improve a bit this year too so the adjustability makes sense from that perspective too.

510 for both total? That’s a hell of a deal.

As far as low spinning, yeah this needs to be lofted up and start from there. I’ve not often found a driver head where I need to loft up because I’m having trouble getting it up in the air. Thats actually pretty cool, honestly.

I think it depends on your swing speed, and based on the numbers you provided, I assume you are in the high 80s, low 90s. Because I was getting similar numbers. I preface the following by saying I love the feel of the club and it's fun to swing. I have 3 shafts for it, one is mid launch, one is mid- hi and the last is high. I got the most distance from the high launch shaft. But still most drives were in the 220-230 zone. So, to sum up, I do not think you will get the laugh or spin you need to increase distance. I think one needs a faster swing and consistent launch angles. I did find when I worked on launch I could move the weights to the sides and get a bit more distance, but still inconsistent - probably due to the low spin.

Hope that helps.

It's not a deal if it does not work for you.

Based on how you described your swing, I'd say no, you will not get extra yardage with it. It is low spin, to get some spin, you'd have to hit down on that driver and then the ball would not launch and because it's low spin it would still be low and not spin. Nowheresville.

It only comes in 9 deg. It's a good driver for high speed, high launch players who would probably need to play a different shaft than their usual.

Find something else. I think the 2020 fairways also need more speed to make them work - especially a 3 wd. They are excellent fairways, but a heavier feel, lots of cc's but you need more than a 85-95 driver swingspeed to get them to go.

Look at my bag - those fairways are a good deal if you can find them for less than high-speed players - they go, have less cc's so very playable, a light feel. Or Callaway or other OEM's.

I love Mizuno but I think that I need more speed to have their STG and current fwy work for me.

What @Desmond said, and what I STILL NEED TO LEARN - it's not a good deal if does not work for you.

510 for both total?
No I made a mistake! It's $770 :(

I think it depends on your swing speed, and based on the numbers you provided, I assume you are in the high 80s, low 90s. Because I was getting similar numbers. I preface the following by saying I love the feel of the club and it's fun to swing. I have 3 shafts for it, one is mid launch, one is mid- hi and the last is high. I got the most distance from the high launch shaft. But still most drives were in the 220-230 zone. So, to sum up, I do not think you will get the laugh or spin you need to increase distance. I think one needs a faster swing and consistent launch angles. I did find when I worked on launch I could move the weights to the sides and get a bit more distance, but still inconsistent - probably due to the low spin.

Hope that helps.
Cheers JW.

It's not a deal if it does not work for you.

Based on how you described your swing, I'd say no, you will not get extra yardage with it. It is low spin, to get some spin, you'd have to hit down on that driver and then the ball would not launch and because it's low spin it would still be low and not spin. Nowheresville.

It only comes in 9 deg. It's a good driver for high speed, high launch players who would probably need to play a different shaft than their usual.

Find something else. I think the 2020 fairways also need more speed to make them work - especially a 3 wd. They are excellent fairways, lots of cc's but you need more than a 85-95 driver swingspeed to get them to go.
Cheers Des. Wasn't looking for more distance with it, just not losing any due to the spin.

Cheers Des. Wasn't looking for more distance with it, just not losing any due to the spin.

If it does not spin, it won't help you get yardage at our swingspeed - 88-96.

Even the high-speed guys like @Jman and @templeton80 posting above have difficulty spinning it. That's not good news for the slower speed guys.

My AOA is +6. I like the feel, like the look, but I want more yards. I go Callaway or Ping and not Cobra, Titleist or others only because I don't have time to try everything.

Back