Mizuno ST-X 230 and ST-Z 230 Drivers

Couple more rounds with the STZ and still seeing similar results as I've posted before. Did have some trouble with my own swing last weekend- slow course and couldn't get into much of a groove and developed a case of the rights. Lost a couple balls on the back nine and had to force myself to reset and slow the f down. Pulled off a nice drive on 18 to cap off the round and give myself some confidence heading into a couple 9 hole sessions this week.

Last night at league was much better dispersion wise with 4/4 fairways hit when I pulled the STZ. Longest was a nice one that ended up right at 300 on the button giving myself a nice wedge into the green that would have normally been at least a 8i for me.

Continue to be a fan of this driver and I look forward to seeing what's coming for us in October. The talk of low spin has me extremely excited!

So I left the Z in play this last weekend for serious golf, which I don't usually do. I think that alone says a lot about how I feel about it for me.

Well got in a little round today in the heat and some of it showed why I've enjoyed it so much. I can still move it (a driver) pretty well when I need to, but I make my way out there really on playing to shape and taking advantage of the course.

Started stone cold because they rushed us out (to wait) and missed a couple fairways to start and 3 of the first 4 greens. Thank God for good wedge play. But got it going and hit some like I'm talking about.

Draw over the trees to keep the spin down and get some distance over cutting it around the trees and into a little right crossbreeze.

And then cutting one to stay out of the dang bunkers on the left (I know these bunkers well) and take advantage of a fairway that pitches right and a little downhill at the end.

Just really love this setup for hitting my windows and shapes and getting in good position out there. Played the CSX LS today and it paired really well for me with the Z despite throwing me off a bit on a couple iron shots. Had a bit of a knuckle miss on 16 that still went 297 but it was on me really, not the setup.

8/11 in the end and a ton of great looks on approach. 👍🏼

Man, what a great looking driver! It’s absolutely phenomenal in hand. I really enjoyed hitting this one. I can’t remember when is the last time I tried a Mizuno driver. It was so close! If this was March Madness, it made it to the semi-finals. I’m very curious what @Vosh68 is hiding in those videos.

That CSX LS pairing with the Z really is nasty for me. Serious bombs. And brings out what I would say is a little more fulfilling sound experience. Been getting some comments on this driver out there lately. Making a little noise!

Had what was probably my worst driving round since I’ve gotten the Z last night in league. Everything was right of right and I know it was my swing but man did it prove to be penal. I think I need to shorten the shaft an inch or so to get back to the length I’m used to as I’m all over the face, but I can at least attest to its forgiveness in multiple quadrants 🤣🤣

Mid summer lull for me as we take the next two weeks with family vaca, so hopefully a little break helps my swing.

Had a second round with the ST-X 230. More of the same really. Great feel and sound for sure, second round affirms that. Can't say it's any better than the previous 220 or even the original for that matter. Looks, feel and sound are the obvious improvements, but are those translating into results? Doesn't seem like it.

I feel like I wanna try the 230Z.

Bringing this one back to the top- it's been a bit of a love hate for me and the STZ of late. I've developed a two way miss with it that's been baffling to figure out. When I connect- it's long and straight but that's been far less often than at the beginning of the year.

I know it's 100% me and my swing, but man it's been infuriating to not be able to figure it out. Looking into getting someone else to look at my swing and figure out what's going on.

Bringing this one back to the top- it's been a bit of a love hate for me and the STZ of late. I've developed a two way miss with it that's been baffling to figure out. When I connect- it's long and straight but that's been far less often than at the beginning of the year.

I know it's 100% me and my swing, but man it's been infuriating to not be able to figure it out. Looking into getting someone else to look at my swing and figure out what's going on.
Have you tried to close the face to eliminate one side? Is that an option?

Have you tried to close the face to eliminate one side? Is that an option?
Candidly I have not- tried to stay consistent throughout, but it's a very good call out that I'll try this evening. Opening hole is a wide open par 5 so should be able to test and see what happens.

Candidly I have not- tried to stay consistent throughout, but it's a very good call out that I'll try this evening. Opening hole is a wide open par 5 so should be able to test and see what happens.
Its worth a shot to see if its a face angle thing.

Busy evening after league last night so didn't get to post anything other than the image above to JB. That one little setup change netted 3/5 fairways with the STZ last night with the longest being a nice little 292yd poke on the 9th hole. No penalties with it last night and saw the 270-275 average distance I was seeing earlier in the season.

Traveling to NC this weekend for a work golf outing, 36 holes near Wilmington so will get a chance to try the setup again and hopefully we see the same results. 👊👊 @JB

Busy evening after league last night so didn't get to post anything other than the image above to JB. That one little setup change netted 3/5 fairways with the STZ last night with the longest being a nice little 292yd poke on the 9th hole. No penalties with it last night and saw the 270-275 average distance I was seeing earlier in the season.

Traveling to NC this weekend for a work golf outing, 36 holes near Wilmington so will get a chance to try the setup again and hopefully we see the same results. 👊👊 @JB
Happy to help. Sometimes the little adjustments can make a big difference.

I wanted update this thread on my experience with the ST-X here recently. I've been hitting it really well. When the swing is on it like a lazer beam with how straight it is. On the days the swing is quite as good I typically still only see a baby fade. The forgiveness is there too as last night I joined some buddies on the 5th tee after work. The first 4 holes I hit it I never caught it on the sweet spot but still had 3 of the 4 all end up very playable with two being quite good. The one that didn't wasn't a bad drive either. I was playing for a fade like the first tee ball I hit and aimed up the left side. I ended up catching it on the tow and hit a high draw that go into the tree. Had I aimed down the middle it would have probably stayed inside the tree line. The next two that ended up pretty good I also caught a little on the tow and they both drew a decent amount but hit and rolled out a long ways. My final drive of the day a didn't quite catch it in the sweet spot but hit a high straight ball into a slight breeze about 275-280 right in the middle of the fairway.

I had a day about 3 weeks ago when it was a cold morning and windy. I had one playing into a strong wind that I caught right in the sweet spot with about a 2 yard fade. It was low and piercing and cut through the wind enough to still have some steam and get some decent roll out. It ended up being about 290 yards. The rest of the guys were a good 40-50 yards back. The next hole was playing downwind and I hit almost the exact same shot and was probably further down the fairway than I've ever been. I'm guessing it was probably around 340. When caught in the sweet spot which I don't do nearly enough this thing just launches it.

Another bump to this one. The ST-X has been great for me. When I catch it in the center the ball just rockets off the face. I hit the longest drive I ever have on our 6th hole on Friday. It's 421 yards to the the center of the green. I smoked one off the tee with a strong helping wind. I hit it far enough to really take advantage of slight downslope the last 100 yards to the green. I ended up a little short of the green probably 40 or so yards short of the middle of the green. Even on shots that I haven't hit the center I'm still getting great distance. I had one Saturday morning that I was close but didn't quite get in the center. It ended up about 10 yards short and left of the green which is about 325 yards to the front. If I keep it a little right in the fairway I think it would have been just short or right on the front of the green.

While I still have my swing mistakes that can cause a big miss, overall when I'm swinging pretty good this driver is super straight though. Sometimes if looks like Aberg's drives while it's flying in the air, just not as far haha.

Back