Mizuno ST-X 230 and ST-Z 230 Drivers

First round for the STZ and at least initially we are getting along.

IMG_6340.jpeg
I will say that I let off the gas a bit on quite a few of these where 240 and in the fairway was better than 265 and in the rough, so I grooved a nice light swing.

Coming from my Cobra this one is similar distance wise but if I hit 10/14 fairways every round I will gladly give up a few yards here and there.

League night on Tuesday and then another round Saturday - hopefully this trend continues.

Finally going to get the Z out of today too. Have had other priorities but testing it back when was good. Should be fun.

20230515_132909.jpg

Hit this one in the bay over the weekend. The sound was really good and the X allowed me to square the face well.

I've not tried the hulk shaft personally, but profile wise I'd say it would allow me to be much more aggressive than what I really need to be. 🤣🤣

The blue that I'm playing right now has been nice thus far- Out of curiosity are you going to try it out this week?

League night tonight and found a bit of the rights but still hit 3/6 fairways that I used it- again I will take 50% of my fairways. What I found though was some distance that I hadn’t seen in the previous round. Averaged 275 over the course of the round, which while a small sample size is about 15 yards longer than my smart average with SZ.

May be able to sneak out for another 9 this week, but will be back in play Saturday for my weekend round. So far so good with the STZ.

Played in a scramble today for a local high school. I was trying to nuke everything today as the “long”hitter in the group- was nice to see quite a few out in the 280-285 range and in the fairway. My miss is right of right and I saw quite a few of that today as I tried way too hard to hit the ball a mile.

However I’m still loving this thing so far!!

I want one, but I am already looking at an stz 220 and stx 200. STZ is my kids backup ( cottage bag driver) these days. STX is collecting dust since I went with the mini driver as mt 2nd driver.
Is the 230 that much better than the 220?

Please say "NO!"..

Really want the St-x 230, but hitting my St-x 220 so, so good that I couldn't possibly justify replacing it.

First round where I struggled with the STZ last night in league. My miss with this thing (and all drivers really is right), saw that on multiple holes last night as well as an extremely high on face miss that popped things up. 100% indian here and will look to rebound this coming weekend and week as I've got a little staycation planned.

Really want the St-x 230, but hitting my St-x 220 so, so good that I couldn't possibly justify replacing it.

I'm in the same boat. Ive had the best couple driving rounds with my stz220 very recently. Just can't justify replacing it when I got it for $200 brand new. Going to drop the loft down a notch since I don't get much roll-out and sneak some extra ball speed in.

I forgot to talk about taking out the Z a couple times recently. It had been a while. And the first round was kind of interesting because of it. I had forgot I had my normal shaft in it when I tested it before it came out. And you can forgot you play pretty stout stuff until you take it out with a hulk and it feels like a softie. Lol

So I had a couple misses early, but they showed why I liked it in testing. I'm a low spin guy, and with my misses it stays pretty stable in the air. Spin doesn't drop off the planet. Which can definitely be a concern for me.

Still love the sound, and the overall look. Couple different visuals above, and the visual tech on these heads is pretty well done imo.

So overall it went pretty well. My misses were pretty straight and stable, and the good were pretty damn good. Had a banging round with it once I borrowed a shaft and felt more comfortable. I like this head for me and if I wasn't a total lunatic would probably game it.

Today was a good day with the STZ- played a wide open course with very little trouble to be found, so rough isn’t nearly as harmful as some of the courses I play. Averaged well over my normal smart average with the SZ, with the longest being a little over 300. (Not normal for me)

Have found I have to put a smooth swing on this one as I get the rights when I get really aggressive. All in all a solid driving round.

May have gotten ahold of this one tonight in league-

IMG_6398.jpeg

Wasn’t the best night with driver tonight, I was trying to do way too much with it and it cost me. Still my data is showing smart distance about15 yards longer than the SZ. I’m pretty close to saying it’s secured it’s spot in the bag for the year.

Last edited:
Thinking about wether to go STZ or STX and lower the loft? Is there any noticeable forgiveness between the two heads?

I'm in the same boat. Ive had the best couple driving rounds with my stz220 very recently. Just can't justify replacing it when I got it for $200 brand new. Going to drop the loft down a notch since I don't get much roll-out and sneak some extra ball speed in.

If the trend continues with the Mizuno ST line, we'll be able to get the 230 later this summer for "$200" as well.

Same applies for the ST-Z 3 wood. Would like to take a hard look at the 230, but hitting the ST-Z so well. Probably the best 3 wood I've ever had, and that's a very tough top 5 to crack let alone best. Definitely not the longest, wouldn't make the top 10 in that category.

20230607_010659.jpg

This one's going out in the heat with new today. See if we start a 🔥

Looking for a full report. I love mine!
I really enjoyed it in early testing, and it suits me in a whole bunch of ways. It's a fun one.

Looking for a full report. I love mine!
8/10 for just over 316y. Pretty, pretty good. Damn good. A few were interesting.

This one, not going after it or anything because it's really tight up there with trouble both ways. Has to be a real straight shot or it runs into one of the troubles. And it was pretty easy to put a straight one on it. It also flew real flat and far. I mention the sound in that vid because I think that one was just above center. Kind of the bomb strike. Low spin. And I don't know how much it ran because you can't see it, but there's a couple big ridges in the fairway that usually stop them. It got past all of that. 328y. So that was surprising.

And then there were a couple I pummeled and the sound definitely changes a bit at a little higher speed with the balls I use. Pitch rises a touch. Still real solid sounding though. Almost hot melted. Had one a little low on the face too, and just sounds solid. Little muted. Coretech chamber dampening things a bit maybe. Really dig it. Even off the timber it sounds pretty good.

Really nice. Not cracky. I remember loving it for that.

Was able to work it both ways. Pounded a draw on the first par 5, and absolutely roasted a penetrating fade on the first par 5 of the back 9. Never been that close in approach on that hole before (botched it, one of the worst shots of the day). Cut another big corner with another one. Might have got a little lucky on that one with a bounce, but put it in the window I wanted.

Screenshot_20230607_222556_Video Player.jpg

Also had one really terrible strike on 17. Playing for a draw, heeled it.

20230607_222755.jpg

😕

20230607_222842.jpg

But dead straight and 297 yards. Hard to beat that for a miss.

Overall just a real good day with it. It's not ultra low spin which works for me in general and with the just above center strike. Love the sound, but it's definitely more muted than some. Seriously makes me go 'did I hotmelt this one? 🤔' lol. Distances were good, control was good. All really really good.

I can't imagine driver distances like that anymore, not even close. But for me the driver is pretty much point and shoot, the shaft driver combo reduced spin to a level that helped me get more distance while remaining accurate. I sort of wish I tried a shaft that was slightly longer. And it feels pretty light compared to the drivers I demoed.

I really like and the corchamber/tech works.

It's been a very very pleasant addition to the bag.

Thanks for your updates - how does what you did yesterday compare with your best from other drivers you've used this season?

I can't imagine driver distances like that anymore, not even close.

I second this! Every once in a blue moon I'll get something that resembles that but not on an every swing basis. I will say though that I have seen a distance increase with the STZ. My Cobra smart distance per Arccos is 258, whereas the STZ is showing 272.

I'll also say that what @OldandStiff mentions about the sound is dead nuts on. I love the sound this thing puts out. Muted but not dead quiet. I think the folks at Mizuno have got a winner on their hands here and I can't wait to talk to @Vosh68 about it in October!

I can't imagine driver distances like that anymore, not even close. But for me the driver is pretty much point and shoot, the shaft driver combo reduced spin to a level that helped me get more distance while remaining accurate. I sort of wish I tried a shaft that was slightly longer. And it feels pretty light compared to the drivers I demoed.

I really like and the corchamber/tech works.

It's been a very very pleasant addition to the bag.

Thanks for your updates - how does what you did yesterday compare with your best from other drivers you've used this season?
Compares well. One yard short of current average, but I nicked a branch on one and it really cost me on the average. Accuracy was good considering I missed the first one. Didn't warm up before the round. I would consider it an above average day.

Back