Mizuno ST-X 230 and ST-Z 230 Drivers

I second this! Every once in a blue moon I'll get something that resembles that but not on an every swing basis. I will say though that I have seen a distance increase with the STZ. My Cobra smart distance per Arccos is 258, whereas the STZ is showing 272.

I'll also say that what @OldandStiff mentions about the sound is dead nuts on. I love the sound this thing puts out. Muted but not dead quiet. I think the folks at Mizuno have got a winner on their hands here and I can't wait to talk to @Vosh68 about it in October!
The thing that blows me away, I have not had one strong hook or slice with it. Related note, Julia used to push her JetSpeed Driver drives right almost ALL the time, from a push to fade to OB slice. She is the 2022 ST-X and has not had a single blow up drive. It's almost cheating for her wiht that club and ladies tees.

We played Harbourtown - between the two of us 2 lost balls - both hers on water forward of the hole - exactly 0 unplayable lies or punchouts from being way right or left, because it didn't happen. I can't comment on how tight the course is/versus how it looks, but I felt it was tighter than your average daily fee course - and after a few holes that factor was gone.

The thing that blows me away, I have not had one strong hook or slice with it. Related note, Julia used to push her JetSpeed Driver drives right almost ALL the time, from a push to fade to OB slice. She is the 2022 ST-X and has not had a single blow up drive. It's almost cheating for her wiht that club and ladies tees.

We played Harbourtown - between the two of us 2 lost balls - both hers on water forward of the hole - exactly 0 unplayable lies or punchouts from being way right or left, because it didn't happen. I can't comment on how tight the course is/versus how it looks, but I felt it was tighter than your average daily fee course - and after a few holes that factor was gone.
That's phenomenal!! Being able to point and shoot has to do nothing but inspire confidence. For me- if I try to hulk smash one, I can definitely lose it right- but to your point it's not a HUGE hooking slice, definitely more of a push. A nice smooth swing like I should put on the ball is a nice relatively straight drive. I wasn't sure what to expect with the STZ after hitting it indoors early in the season, but it's outpaced the old driver by quite a bit.

I have been playing the ST190 since it came out. Solid driver with great results for me. I am very curious if I would get much of a bump going to the ST230s. They do not have a trade up program, but I might try to find a head on eBay or other platform.

I have been playing the ST190 since it came out. Solid driver with great results for me. I am very curious if I would get much of a bump going to the ST230s. They do not have a trade up program, but I might try to find a head on eBay or other platform.
Same I’m still in ST190 and on good hits I’ve found nothing that can beat it plus it’s pretty forgiving! I would be very interested if there is a noticeable improvement all across the face in the 230

When I went in to demo/get fit for a new driver. I used the Z-220 as my baseline - I mistakenly had a bad for me shaft in it - that I was fooling around it, it was the Lin-Q Black in stiff. The data moving from that club to the new 230 in Lin-Q red Regular (but 60gm) was eye opening, lower spin (right amount of spin), better numbers all around and about a 20 ish (maybe 15) yard improvement - fitter said that was a spin and ball speed improvement. Comparisons to other drivers and shafts (in both the new Z-230 and other clubs), still had the Lin-Q red R 60 and ST-Z 230 as the very clear winner. I later (late May early June) did a 2 club challenge between 2 different Paradyms 9.5 and 10.5 heads and 2 different shafts over several days with only 10 - 20 swings a day of each. tabulated the data in a spreadsheet and the 9.5 St-Z 230 set to stock was consistently better. something 7 of the top 10 distances were St-Z and the top 4 were all St-Z and signifantly (8+ yards at worst), farther.

So, after all that, demo the club in a store or get a fitting that will answer your questions.

Same I’m still in ST190 and on good hits I’ve found nothing that can beat it plus it’s pretty forgiving! I would be very interested if there is a noticeable improvement all across the face in the 230
Reviews are kinda mixed. I work with Plugged in Golf and Matt tested the 230Z and the 230X and thought their was a good bit of improvement over the ST190. TXG also reviewed the 230s and thought they were an improvement. On the flip side, Golfalot reviewed them and did not find any improvement and actually had opposite results (more spin). The key has to be finding the right shaft for your swing and the driver head. I agree with you, when I hit it well, it can keep up with other drivers. Might not be as forgiving as some of the other 2023 models.

Couple examples of what I'm seeing with the ST-Z in terms of precision and control.

This head is a really good fit for me. I can work it both ways reliably, and without big misses, and it's extremely consistent. We were playing from tees I'd never played from and didn't have gps so I accidently went through a couple fairways but was reliably hitting my shapes and windows and giving myself great looks off the tee mostly. Plays real neutral for me and I can count on a number.

The sound is just different than a lie of the other current drivers imo. I like it. I don't mind a bit muted, but I've played hot melted heads a bunch and people do tend to comment about it out there.

Regardless, I've been having a great time playing with it and with how much I enjoyed it in testing I'm not surprised one bit.

Couple examples of what I'm seeing with the ST-Z in terms of precision and control.

This head is a really good fit for me. I can work it both ways reliably, and without big misses, and it's extremely consistent. We were playing from tees I'd never played from and didn't have gps so I accidently went through a couple fairways but was reliably hitting my shapes and windows and giving myself great looks off the tee mostly. Plays real neutral for me and I can count on a number.

The sound is just different than a lie of the other current drivers imo. I like it. I don't mind a bit muted, but I've played hot melted heads a bunch and people do tend to comment about it out there.

Regardless, I've been having a great time playing with it and with how much I enjoyed it in testing I'm not surprised one bit.

I’m just not fully sold on the sound tbh. Could it be something I get used to and learn to like? Maybe?

I really pay attention to acoustics for whatever reason. I love the tech story with the 230 heads tho and I remember getting better ball speed than with some other heads but maybe a touch less forgiveness when I tested it around launch time.

I should revisit it.

I’m just not fully sold on the sound tbh. Could it be something I get used to and learn to like? Maybe?

I really pay attention to acoustics for whatever reason. I love the tech story with the 230 heads tho and I remember getting better ball speed than with some other heads but maybe a touch less forgiveness when I tested it around launch time.

I should revisit it.
I think it stands out to me a little because I play firm balls and there's a general sound range that tends to create. I wonder if it would be less of a thing for someone who plays softer balls. I've surely missed some comments in here about that. A few of us have been talking about it on course because like I said, for people who are around me a lot it definitely is a little different and gets a reaction from them. I've actually kind of enjoyed it. Sound reminds me a bit of when I used to play regular TP5.

I’m a fan of the sound and performance. I prefer a more muted sound so it fits for certain. @That post maybe we should get a round in in the next couple weeks so you can test/swing the STZ?

I’m a fan of the sound and performance. I prefer a more muted sound so it fits for certain. @That post maybe we should get a round in in the next couple weeks so you can test/swing the STZ?
I’d love that and hope we can do it soon.

Tried to take a video to show how it sounds with a firmer ball. I think this ranges balls are officially dead because they felt and sounded like rocks suddenly today after not being there for a bit. Was a bit windy unfortunately. A firmer ball definitely brings out more though.

Sound is a big deal for me as well. Are most saying that the 230 is too muted? That would be ideal for me, but I know that it's not for everyone. Currently gaming the 220 which is on the muted side. Could anyone compare the two sound wise?

Sound is a big deal for me as well. Are most saying that the 230 is too muted? That would be ideal for me, but I know that it's not for everyone. Currently gaming the 220 which is on the muted side. Could anyone compare the two sound wise?
Not too muted for my tastes- I like the thud the 230 creates. I don't have a 220 to compare it to, but the videos that @OldandStiff has posted the last couple days have been a good representation of the sound you can expect.

I had to think back on this to make sure, but I didn't miss a fairway with the ST-Z yesterday. 11 for 11. And I was milking it 🐄 with aggressive lines and shaping for slopes and wind. I also had two drives over 350 from doing that and a whole bunch of birdies so... not bad. Lol

It really does play wonderfully neutral for me on my setup. I can do just about anything with it. That's huge for me and the tees and positions I play. Huge.

Missed one fairway last night in league with the STZ- and it was only because I lost my footing on the tee box. (Almost went down, was quite funny). Smart average with this per Arccos is now right at 270 and it's showing about 44% fairway's hit so far this year.

I'm extremely glad I took a chance here as it's proven to be extremely worthwhile for me!

Just pulled the trigger on an ST-X 230. Ebay seller made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I now have the original ST-X, the ST-X 220, and now the 230. Will report back with a review.

Somebody wow me with the details of this driver. Outside of looks, which are stunning, why should I test it? What has your experience been?

Somebody wow me with the details of this driver. Outside of looks, which are stunning, why should I test it? What has your experience been?
I've been able to hit the right shape and window for the course to have 3 drives over 360y in the last 2 rounds. It's immensely controllable.

Need distance??

Top one is my CC fit Cobra Speedzone, bottom is stock shaft Facebook find 🤣🤣
IMG_6532.jpeg

IMG_6533.jpeg

Need forgiveness and accuracy?

Again top Speedzone, bottom STZ.

IMG_6534.jpeg

IMG_6535.jpeg

Last edited:
Have to figure the super low spin STG is coming very soon..

Have to figure the super low spin STG is coming very soon..
I asked about this a couple weeks ago. Badgered, maybe. I got a 'that would make some sense'. 😆

Back