Mizuno ST-X and ST-Z Driver Review

Range day this evening, how has the ST series not made the Billboard 100 they all sound incredible!

I just bought three adapters to start messing around more with this head. Installed the OG HZRDUS, the OG Regio Yellow, and the Kiyoshi Limited for my buddy who just bought the same head (he blames me).

Going to be a fun range session and round tomorrow.

Played the round of my life with this driver: 73 on a par 70 course.

Of course it wasn't just the driver that got me that score but I was in scoring position on every hole. My FIR was 67% but the ones I missed were 1st cut.

I played a mountain course in Park City and just hoping this can translate back to my home course when I return.

In the meantime, here's a photo of me waiting for the group in front of me, relaxing with my ST-Z, like 250 feet above the fairway.20210613_123636.jpg

Played the round of my life with this driver: 73 on a par 70 course.

Of course it wasn't just the driver that got me that score but I was in scoring position on every hole. My FIR was 67% but the ones I missed were 1st cut.

I played a mountain course in Park City and just hoping this can translate back to my home course when I return.

In the meantime, here's a photo of me waiting for the group in front of me, relaxing with my ST-Z, like 250 feet above the fairway.View attachment 9012862

That is awesome! Great round, great views, great driver 🔥

Played 9 last night and the first hole I sliced but it was the first swing with no warm up. The next drive is tought driving hole with a tree guarding the left off the tee box. I pulled it a little and caught that but it would have been good otherwise. After that they were all really good balls and hit how I wanted them. Technically only 1 was in the fairway but the others were first cut and where I wanted them to be. The one in the fairway is a 457 yard par 4 and I hit it low and down the left middle of the fairway with about a 2 yard fade. My two playing partners both hit high draws and were about 190-195 out. I was about 5 yards past the 150 mark which would be a drive of around 310. Definitely took advantage of the texas roll out.

My new ST-X showed up Sunday. I am excited to give it a try but trying to give my shoulder a brief break before I do. Trust me, its killing me knowing its sitting there wanting to see some action and I have been tempted but going to try and hold out until late next week.

My new ST-X showed up Sunday. I am excited to give it a try but trying to give my shoulder a brief break before I do. Trust me, its killing me knowing its sitting there wanting to see some action and I have been tempted but going to try and hold out until late next week.
Maybe just a little baby swing to hold you over

Maybe just a little baby swing to hold you over
The thought crossed my mind but little baby swings turn in to 2 hour range sessions swinging hard for me quick fast and in a hurry haha

The thought crossed my mind but little baby swings turn in to 2 hour range sessions swinging hard for me quick fast and in a hurry haha

Going to hit range again with new ST-X driver. I have had some good swings but also still loosing it right. I think I was trying to do too much with swing

Going to hit range again with new ST-X driver. I have had some good swings but also still loosing it right. I think I was trying to do too much with swing
Yeah on Sunday I was striping it at first and got to swinging too hard and it went downhill. Swung smoother last night and hit some good drives. The smooth swing caught on the screws launches it off the ST-Z though.

It was just too nice not to take the STX out to the driving range.

Man, just loving the consistency with this head. It’s a fairway machine.

First post, but have lurked here for years. Have played 3 rounds now with the X. I'd rather just comment on sound, as it's the most important characteristic in a driver for me. I much prefer a muted driver. Saying that, I've hit many drivers that were described as muted, that were more like aluminum cans by my standard. As for the X, I would say it definitely qualifies as muted. Not pure louisville, but definitely muted.

First post, but have lurked here for years. Have played 3 rounds now with the X. I'd rather just comment on sound, as it's the most important characteristic in a driver for me. I much prefer a muted driver. Saying that, I've hit many drivers that were described as muted, that were more like aluminum cans by my standard. As for the X, I would say it definitely qualifies as muted. Not pure louisville, but definitely muted.
Welcome to THP

Thank-you Sir. I'll try to be a welcome addition to the community.

First, it's awesome to hear that the sound quality of this driver was comment worthy for @73monte , thanks for jumping in! I'll go one step further and note that I find the ST-X tonally rich. Not just muted, because I feel like there are more damped / carbon feeling drivers out there, but this is just a really nice balance of the pop of metal with the damping of carbon.

Next, is it getting old if I talk about how excellent the ST-X was today on course? Not to me it isn't. This driver head is awesome. The deep face support smy high-on-the-face tendencies so nicely. Ripper.

Last edited:
Played 9 and the only thing that I could rate a 8+ was driver... only one miss on FWY and it was an over swing after a frustrating hole.

On the back nine I played solo and two balls tee to green. How about two drives down the speed slot on 11, two two-putt birdies!
6C4E3AB9-4285-4465-85CA-FF07713516BB.jpeg
7429AC87-D40D-469F-8FFC-3ADD979884F8.jpeg
Black tees... distance from tee:
B79DD367-A9FF-4104-8493-FC9DCEF60939.jpeg
AE2A0C38-101A-4DC4-8FFC-3E6FBB5D52E0.jpeg
Great driving all day, hit fairways on 6, 10, 11, 13, and 18 for 4/7 on the “official” round. Two misses 2 yds off the fairway, one right, one left. Blocked my first swing of the day on 1st hole right, but the hole curves that way so no harm no foul.

Driving average with my prior gamer was 215 - 225.

Drives today with the Mizuno STX and LinQ Blue shaft- 230, 237, 232, 230, 234, 260, 225, 225, 241, 197 (horrible swing), 220, 226

Average: 233 if you remove the bad 197 drive. 230 if you leave it. I will take that every day.

First, it's awesome to hear that the sound quality of this driver was comment worthy for @73monte , thanks for jumping in! I'll go one step further and note that I find the ST-X tonally rich. Not just muted, because I feel like there are more damped / carbon feeling drivers out there, but this is just a really nice balance of the pop of metal with the damping of carbon.

Next, is it getting old if I talk about how excellent the ST-X was today on course? Not to me it isn't. This driver head is awesome. The deep face support smy high-on-the-face tendencies so nicely. Ripper.
I’ve got the ST-Z but I agree that the sound is not muted. I have a Cobra Speedzone that I’m letting a buddy hit. He hits it good but doesn’t like the muted sound. The Mizuno to me has a nice pop that isn’t too loud but sounds like you piped it when you hit it good. It inspires confidence without hurting eardrums. My previous 2007ish Cobra Speed LD sounded like an old little league TPX baseball bat. I loved the sound but everyone else hated it. They are all happy with the sound of the Mizuno though lol.

Driving average with my prior gamer was 215 - 225.

Drives today with the Mizuno STX and LinQ Blue shaft- 230, 237, 232, 230, 234, 260, 225, 225, 241, 197 (horrible swing), 220, 226

Average: 233 if you remove the bad 197 drive. 230 if you leave it. I will take that every day.

Awesome man. So glad that a THP Experience has changed your game so much. That is a ton of fun.

Remains my favorite driver of the year, it’s close between it and the C721, but edge definitely goes here for me. The sound is addicting, the face is deep, and the playability is massive

1624026035966.png

That Ka-Pow feeling people. If you know, you know. So, so good! 🔥

thumbnail_IMG_0057.jpg

Back