More OEM foolishness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Jman,
people who hit a 13.5 from the fairway wouldn't be afraid of the "2" designation,
and people who use the 13.5 as a mini-driver would probably rather see a 2 than a 3+ on the sole.

I blame our inadequate public education.
This younger generation has never been challenged to think and question things.
They shrug their shoulders and say, "What difference does it make?"
I will take that as a shot at me since I have said exactly that. I think you make a very bad judgement here making an assumption about someone’s education and thought process because they disagree with you. Sorry. I respect my elders but in the same breath I know that just because we did anything a particular way 80 years ago doesn’t mean it is still the best or only way to do it. I am going to be blunt because well I am just blunt. If you don’t like it the answer is simple. Don’t buy it. I doubt the golf industry will notice at all. If you want something identical to what you were accustomed to in the past, EBay is full of that stuff for cheap. Trying to bash an OEM for doing business in the best way they see fit is a complete waste of time. Obviously it is not affecting their sales or they would have changed it.

Based on the posts on this forum (among a million other things off the forum).
I couldn't even count how many "What difference does it make?" responses I've seen here.

People with intellectual curiosity want to know why.

You said people would rather see a 2 than a 3+ on a club, but why do you think that? If most responses here are that people don't care, what are you basing your assumption off of?

Now that last bit got a good chuckle out of me. The “younger generation” is generally ridiculed for questioning too many things instead of just accepting “that’s just the way they are,” which was for decades the justification for a lot of messed up stuff. Maybe the “younger generation” has bigger things to worry about then what the state’s number of a fairway wood is?

Typical flyover country answer.
People with coastal values have more intellectual curiosity.
And usually more intellect, I'm sorry to say.

I think it's pretty obvious that the number stamped on the sole of a club doesn't effect performance.
It should also be obvious that this isn't the point.

Doesn't anybody have any intellectual curiosity about why somebody makes a 15º 3-wood and then calls his 13.5º club a 3+ instead of a 2?

I was playing this game before many if not most of you were born, and a 2-wood was called a 2-wood.

I want to know the thinking behind the 3+ wood because from my perspective, it's pretty stupid.

Again, I don't really care what they call it, but to give you some discussion, the typical modern lofts for 3/5/7 are 15/18/21 (as mentioned by someone else earlier in this thread). So clubs in between those would make sense to be halfway between the 3/5/7 in loft. Specifically, a 2W @ 13.5, a 4W @ 16.5, and 6W @ 20.5. But those woods with adjustable hosels hit those lofts and more, so it would make sense for OEM's not to make clubs in between because of the added costs and inventory. However, making the in between clubs allows for the loft without having to worry about face angle and lie changes. As to why they typically chose to make the 3+ and not others, I can't answer. Maybe the OEM research indicates that loft would be most likely to sell. And as for the name, I don't know either. With swing weighting, if you are in between two letters many call it the SW with a + rather than a .5 (e.g., D2+ as opposed to D2.5). Maybe it just originated as shorthand when taking notes when club building.

This is really not something that bothers me. Neither does loft on irons, though I'm not opposed to just listing the loft on the bottom of a club. The recent Hogan attempt to do that bothered a lot of potential customers though, so I don't think it will catch on. And I also play a PXG 2 wood, which is 13.5* and called a 2 wood.

Based on the posts on this forum (among a million other things off the forum).
I couldn't even count how many "What difference does it make?" responses I've seen here.

Because it's easier to market to "3+ Wood" than it is "2 wood".

Because "Mini Driver" is easier to market than "Harder to hit 3wood".

Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it's not the answer.

There is no need for personal insults and attacks. Period.

I mean this wholeheartedly and sincerely, are you parodying the "grumpy boomer" stereotype? Is this a kind of fun thing to do? Make a username "RetiredBoomer" and then just make grumpy boomer posts?

Whoa now. You need to step back and take a look at how you stack up here. If you haven't noticed, you are in the vast vast minority here on how you view your perceived issues. I know @JMB3 and even in "flyover country" you don't get to be a lawyer by not being intellectual. Honestly, you have done nothing but regurgitate the same tired argument ever since you have been here. If you don't like the number on the bottom of the club, who the ef cares? Get over yourself.

Do you enjoy being a total twat? Get that it comes with the territory of being a retired boomer, but when does it end?

Yeah, now you pissed me off. This “flyover country” guy spends his days litigating high stakes patent cases. I don’t waste my time or intellect on trivial matters. But you continue wasting your retirement complaining about the stated number on fairway woods.

They shrug their shoulders and say, "What difference does it make?"

Maybe it's not that, and more along the lines of "There are more important things to be concerned with."

That mentality has been going on since the beginning of mankind. You should read some of Marcus Aurelius' work.

Alright all, back on the topic of how OEM’s are stupid and we are all weak minded for not having 2 wood stamped on our strong 3 woods.

Maybe it's not that, and more along the lines of "There are more important things to be concerned with."

That mentality has been going on since the beginning of mankind. You should read some of Marcus Aurelius' work.
You just made my history teacher heart flutter with joy.

IMG_20200205_0951493.jpg Here is a shot of my Mizuno 1 1/2 wood at 13 degrees circa about 1990......

Wow is all i can say! What does costal values and please define wtf that actually means?

Which coast are you talking about?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think it's pretty obvious that the number stamped on the sole of a club doesn't effect performance.
It should also be obvious that this isn't the point.

Doesn't anybody have any intellectual curiosity about why somebody makes a 15º 3-wood and then calls his 13.5º club a 3+ instead of a 2?

I was playing this game before many if not most of you were born, and a 2-wood was called a 2-wood.

I want to know the thinking behind the 3+ wood because from my perspective, it's pretty stupid.

if I had any intellectual curiosity I would have avoided opening this thread a second time.

I'm sorry us midwestern hillbillies are not as sophisticated as you high fallutin coasters. I'll finish this response after I f**k my goat and drink my moonshine.

A6353037-4DAD-4889-9D91-67651460D775.jpeg

;)

Let’s remember folks, he levied the personal attack to elicit personal attacks back. Just smile and wave.

It’s more of a mental thing for players. Nobody can hit a 1 iron so a 2 wood might seem just as difficult.
Easy Marc, I was just told that notion was wrong. ;)

But....But.....I have put a 2i in my bag......was that a bad decision on my part????? :oops:

All this talk of the 'younger' generation not questioning things, yet we seem to have one of the 'older' generation that can't accept change

Let’s remember folks, he levied the personal attack to elicit personal attacks back. Just smile and wave.

Wow.

They do want to know why, but they want to know why about things that are important to the bigger picture ie: why cut down on carbon emissions, why make cars more fuel efficient, how to cure cancer.
This you are talking about is foolishness and the insults don't help. We aren't golfing in 1970, it's 50 years later and things and companies are evolving to meet the new materials used to make equipment. Different #'s on clubs play to the mind and golf is very mental.
Quit spinning the same argument a different way every week and expecting a different result, it won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back