Motorola Droid & Android Thread

Kmac

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
This phone came out today, anyone upgrading or switching to Verizon to get the Droid? Looks like a pretty cool phone but Im tech nerd and love this stuff. Im tempted but my gf would be :angry::angry::angry::angry:

I am going to pray that somehow JB misses this thread because if he sees it I just know we will be at Verizon this weekend looking at that phone.

I've not seen it yet. Not really very tech savy, but dabble at it. I love my BB and can't imagine anything else.

A friend of mine has one. His wife is a sales manager for Verizon, so they got theirs a few weeks early. He loves it. He's also excited that its Google Android OS is open source so there are (and will be more now), lots of shareware and freeware available, and if you're so inclined (and have the skills), you can write your own apps.

This phone came out today, anyone upgrading or switching to Verizon to get the Droid? Looks like a pretty cool phone but Im tech nerd and love this stuff. Im tempted but my gf would be :angry::angry::angry::angry:

I'd personally wait 3-6 mos. Two totally different OS's but the BB Storm was so buggy that I would wait until Verizon worked out the initial bugs/kinks. Verizon used to be known for letting Sprint, T-Mobile, etc to come out with the new phones first and then they'd work out the bugs with the manufacturer and it's be trouble-free free for them. Now with the success of the iPhone and BB on other networks, Verizon is being forced to become 'cool' and offer new devices before they are ready in order to beat the 'great network but boring phones' image. Just my 2 cents here.....

Actually its taken until the latest software release to get the Storm to be what it should have been a long time ago. I have friends with the Storm and they are FINALLY happy with it. And now the Storm 2 is out LOL.

But I can never wait. Its just not in my nature. I know its the smart thing to do but if I go to Verizon and it wows me, Im in trouble! Love that its a "Google Experience" phone too, means Verizon couldnt F with it and screw it up.

i liked the look of this, but being a CDMA phone it wont work in the UK.

I'm getting one today or tomorrow ... provided they have enough in stock AND I don't have to spend 2 hours waiting to get it.

I'm getting one today or tomorrow ... provided they have enough in stock AND I don't have to spend 2 hours waiting to get it.

Im hearing they have in the hundreds at Verizon stores. They should have plenty.

JB, you know you want one!

Kevin™;157931 said:
Im hearing they have in the hundreds at Verizon stores. They should have plenty.

JB, you know you want one!

You know I am a MOD too, I can ban you :D

I am totally kidding of course, just in case you couldn't tell my tone...

I can see the Verizon store from my office window and there is no line here as of yet. I think it opens in a hour.

Im thinking about switching to the Droid because I have not been to happy with the BB Tour.

Just saw this blurb on pcmag.com

Love fancy new phones but hate paying money for things? Flipswap wants to help with its new "iDon't Pay for Droid" promotion. The company is giving away money toward the purchase of a new Motorola Droid: You can swap your current iPhone for up to $350, buy a Droid, and show your proof of purchase, and you'll get an extra $25.

Interested parties can get the Droid bonus between now (well, tomorrow, when the Droid goes on sale) and November 30th by entering the promo code "getdroid" into the Flipswap site. More info is available at http://flipswap.com/droid/

Another so-called iPhone killer...just go out and get the real deal, you won't be disappointed.

Another so-called iPhone killer...just go out and get the real deal, you won't be disappointed.

I'm not switching providers for my entire family so I can get an iPhone.

I'm not switching providers for my entire family so I can get an iPhone.

Exactly, I have the whole business set up with Verizon. Im not changing.

The Apple fanboys are having conniptions in the comment sections of the various positive Droid reviews.

Loved my Storm, Adore my Storm 2. I will never go to AT&T because of their week network. The Droid is certainly intriguing but I love all of the Blackberries that I have had. The BB just works for me. I also probably won't go to the Droid or IPhone as I don't need all those silly apps. I am 31 and am probably in their target demo but I just want my e-mail to work flawlessly as it does now.

Loved my Storm, Adore my Storm 2. I will never go to AT&T because of their week network. The Droid is certainly intriguing but I love all of the Blackberries that I have had. The BB just works for me. I also probably won't go to the Droid or IPhone as I don't need all those silly apps. I am 31 and am probably in their target demo but I just want my e-mail to work flawlessly as it does now.
Marketing genius by Verizon with the "Map for that" play. I've not once had an issue with AT&T's network and on more than one occasion Verizon let me down. My wife has had to replace her iPhone twice and not one penny came out of our pocket. I am still on my original after a year.

Not a Verizon fan...they screwed me one too many times and I left. They charged me the early termination fee (mind you, I had been with them for over 10 years and 3 different carriers), so that is crap. I told them they would never get a cent of my money.

The email is not as good as a blackberry and that's why they have that patent...but it works well, once again, no issues, but it's not instant, mayeb a 1-2 min. delay. I did not think I would like all of the apps, but I was wrong.

Bottom line is we all like different things, I'm glad you are happy with them and your phone.

Funny I hear so much about Verizon's superior network when I get much better coverage with AT&T??? I was out with a supplier yesterday and they had no signal at all on Verizon while I was fully loaded. Strange that everyone thinks Verizon has a better network?

My experience with coverage areas is why I say that. I don't really believe in any marketing hype. I barely even watch commercials because they are all hype. Verizon has been good to me so no reason to change especially since I am happy with my hardware.

Lots and lots of stories about the AT&T network being overloaded because of the iPhone users. Many people have trouble even connecting.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-10365952-266.html

iPhones Overload AT&T's Network, Angering Customers - NYTimes.com

On a barely related note, yesterday Apple pushed through an iTunes/QT update. After downloading, it tried to install and failed because (according to the error message) the files it just downloaded were wrong. The day before, I had to hard reset my iPod because it decided that songs would not be permitted to start playing.

Apple, it just works. Except when it doesn't.

Spoiler
Note: I'm not an Apple hater. The iPod, iPhone, and MacBook are damn sexy. But I do have an issue with the Apple fanboys (and Apple commercials) that act like Apple products are flawless and MS stuff is garbage. Apple is renowned for simply denying any problems. And if Apple ever gets the same market share as Windows, it will also be a target of viruses and hacks. Apple makes fantastic products and is truly an innovator. But they are overpriced, they aren't perfect and, despite their PR, they aren't holier-than-thou. They just act that way.

Coverage is all relative. Some places Att has excellent coverage and some Verizon. None of these companies are perfect so it usually comes down to personal preferance and what not. My gf and I both have iPhone 3GS's and lately we have had nothing but trouble. I really do think that Att has spread themselves thin. We had 2 days of our calls not going through for no apparant reason. Tons of dropped calls. Ive had 3 iPhones, all 3GS and all had issues. This one included. I love what it can do but Im starting to hate it as a phone. So thats why the Droid has me interested.

All I know is that they all charge way too much for someone who rarely uses a cell phone.

And instead of adding all kinds of new features and web surfing, I wish they would just make a phone/network that sounds almost as good as a landline - not like I'm standing in an echo chamber with static piped in. That way, if they are going to charge me so much, I could at least get rid of my landline.

You know I am a MOD too, I can ban you :D

I am totally kidding of course, just in case you couldn't tell my tone...

lol I know! :hug-right:

Back