Music On The Course - Straight Talk W/ Jake

#BoomIt!!!! Music makes people happy. Music brings people together. Now add that to the game of golf and you get a perfect 4 hours.

I'm a man.....I'm 40! Yup, I'm old. I take the game serious. But I also don't want the game to ruin my day. Music helps that. Pandora helps that.

I think everyone should have their own theme music playing at all times. It would just make everyone feel that much better. Great start to the column Hollywood! You are going to be great at this!

See, now wasn't that fun!

I agree. I am just not so sure in reality it works that way. I think a lot of people would be inclined to say okay, just to be friendly. I guess it also depends on the group you are paired with. If they are on the older side, does it really make sense to even ask if you can play your hip hop music? lol

Fair point about reality. Some people are going to get pissed no matter what, from both sides.

And no, just play it. They aren't going to hear it :D

#BoomIt!!!! Music makes people happy. Music brings people together. Now add that to the game of golf and you get a perfect 4 hours.

I'm a man.....I'm 40! Yup, I'm old. I take the game serious. But I also don't want the game to ruin my day. Music helps that. Pandora helps that.

I think everyone should have their own theme music playing at all times. It would just make everyone feel that much better. Great start to the column Hollywood! You are going to be great at this!

See, now wasn't that fun!

Haha, thanks bro! PS... Everyone should know that BigTimeNate has a bitchin Bose speaker and he listens to elevator music on it! Hahaha, kidding bro... Your music on the back 9 not only sounded better.... But was better than mine! I fixed that though buddy!! #SoundChuck ftw!

One thing to consider is that noise level is completely subjective. My hearing sucks, but my wife has sonar. I guarantee you that she'd hear your music from the other side of the hole, and I might not hear it from the other side of the green. So what I think the music player (person) needs to keep in mind is that if someone says your music is too loud that you should accommodate them, even if you personally don't find it too loud.

Haha, thanks bro! PS... Everyone should know that BigTimeNate has a bitchin Bose speaker and he listens to elevator music on it! Hahaha, kidding bro... Your music on the back 9 not only sounded better.... But was better than mine! I fixed that though buddy!! #SoundChuck ftw!

I'm still trying to work the kinks out of Pandora but I'm getting better with key words/songs. And to add more chaos to the anti-musicers beef, we had both Jake's and my speaker going in separate carts for the entire round. LOL!

One thing to consider is that noise level is completely subjective. My hearing sucks, but my wife has sonar. I guarantee you that she'd hear your music from the other side of the hole, and I might not hear it from the other side of the green. So what I think the music player (person) needs to keep in mind is that if someone says your music is too loud that you should accommodate them, even if you personally don't find it too loud.

This. There are a few music listeners at our club. I'm sure they think it can only be heard in their cart but we have many holes at our courses that run parallel and it can be heard clearly on opposite fairways, greens and tee boxes.

Like the scene from the godfather when the commision has a meeting.

"so then it is settled, music will be allowed, but it will be controlled" "A ranger will garantee the protection, and there will be the peace"

This. There are a few music listeners at our club. I'm sure they think it can only be heard in their cart but we have many holes at our courses that run parallel and it can be heard clearly on opposite fairways, greens and tee boxes.

As long as it's constant I'm good with any noise. What I hate is the dog barking in the backswing. Someone on the adjacent green shouting out because they missed a putt. A golf cart that runs up behind you on the tee box when your about to swing.

The bolded is assuming that it does. For some it offers no distraction at all. And for some it is not considered any more unncessary than people chatting constantly.

I just copied and pasted from golf rules, never meant anything by it. Just stating some of golfs rules, which are still rules by the way. I was just stating that I can be flexible, as per them turning music off while I shoot, or am ok with it in a fun round. Just that the onus for respect is on the person playing the music, not the other way around. Never meant to step on anyones toes, sorry.

Great firt column Jake. I love my music on the course and it has become a staple in rounds with the local crew.

As long as it's constant I'm good with any noise. What I hate is the dog barking in the backswing. Someone on the adjacent green shouting out because they missed a putt. A golf cart that runs up behind you on the tee box when your about to swing.

I don't have any problems with nature sounds, like the dog barking, frogs croaking. Someone shouting, it depends: was it a missed putt, or a great putt, or a hole in one? Different situations. Golf carts coming up sucks even if you are standing on the tee waiting to hit because you are waiting for the fairway to clear. Those people should stay back. If the previous green is close to the next tee box, then they obviously have to get a bit closer, but driving up to the tee box when another group is there is just rude. (Unless you happen to know them, again, every situation is different!)

But in the example of the OP, forcing me to listen to rap/hip-hop is not fair to me because I hate it. Most of the time. Again, every situation is different.

What sucks to me, is that am I not going to get to play at my next THP gathering with some people I have in the past and enjoyed the round with because they now like to listen to music while golfing but I don't?

(Now, depending on the gathering/event/get-together, music might be the order of the day. But I gotta say that if there were some reason I didn't want music and I was the only one of the four, that's going to be an awkward situation for everyone.)

I don't have any problems with nature sounds, like the dog barking, frogs croaking. Someone shouting, it depends: was it a missed putt, or a great putt, or a hole in one? Different situations. Golf carts coming up sucks even if you are standing on the tee waiting to hit because you are waiting for the fairway to clear. Those people should stay back. If the previous green is close to the next tee box, then they obviously have to get a bit closer, but driving up to the tee box when another group is there is just rude. (Unless you happen to know them, again, every situation is different!)

But in the example of the OP, forcing me to listen to rap/hip-hop is not fair to me because I hate it. Most of the time. Again, every situation is different.

What sucks to me, is that am I not going to get to play at my next THP gathering with some people I have in the past and enjoyed the round with because they now like to listen to music while golfing but I don't?

(Now, depending on the gathering/event/get-together, music might be the order of the day. But I gotta say that if there were some reason I didn't want music and I was the only one of the four, that's going to be an awkward situation for everyone.)
I only play music in groups I know the people. Never with strangers unless it gets brought up. Plain and simple. It is not a must for me. It is a like for me. I can have it either way.

I've never played golf with music playing over speakers, but my favorite thing in golf is my practice sessions with my headphones on and a good mix playing.

typo's courtesy of Samsung Galaxy S4 autocorrect... Enjoy!

I just copied and pasted from golf rules, never meant anything by it. Just stating some of golfs rules, which are still rules by the way. I was just stating that I can be flexible, as per them turning music off while I shoot, or am ok with it in a fun round. Just that the onus for respect is on the person playing the music, not the other way around. Never meant to step on anyones toes, sorry.

Sorry? No need to apologize on THP. Its a healthy debate and good conversation to be had.

I agree JB, there is not right or wrong here.... Besides me, I'm right because it's my article dammit! Haha. I love the discussion and the differing views on this.

I love it Jake. Great discussion.

You know where I stand on music. I love it. As long as it is respectful of other golfers on the course I see ZERO issue with it, but I understand some do not feel that way

Great read Jake!

We play music in my normal foursome all the time. I've come to like it and carry a speaker in my bag incase the group I am playing with doesn't mind.

In addition to speakers, how about players that wear headphones. That is pretty standoffish IMO. I won't go up to a person and start trying to talk over whatever they are listening to.

There is one point of logic here that has been made In this thread as well as in the article itself that i think it is wrong logic. What i mean is that there is some mentionings that seem to imply music being more ok or acceptable for casual golf vs more serious, more important round of golf. But there is a big problem with that logic.

This comment is not about my thoughts on music playing and you can read my earlier post on my feelngs about that as i'm not totaly against it . But what it is about is this. Who is to say just how serious or important a round of golf is to anyone and every one around you? One may play competitively and not like music in what he deems a more important and more serious scenario but then says its ok if in a less serious or less important casual round. But what you fail to realize is that not every one plays competitive golf and this casual round may be viewed just as seriously by other people as you do your more important ones.

Why would you get to dictate whether or not the golf is important enough for anybody else. If an individual plays his weekend golf in a non competitive form it does not mean he is not serious and does not mean it is not important to him. He may not like the music or like the type of music while playing. How can another decide just how important a round of golf is to another person and when its ok to have music or not for others simply because the round holds no value for you vs your competitive rounds. Your so called casual round may be all the other person has. That is (intentional or not) and (like it or not) called entitlement. Only you are entitled to quiet when in your important round but then can dictate and decide it is now ok for all to hear music when the round holds no important meaning to you because its casual golf? Why would the guy who only plays casual rounds not be allowed to view it serious and important to him?

This assumes once again that the music will be heard by others. And the same can be said for the guy yelling and laughing every two seconds, the golfer that is slamming on the brakes on the cart, the player that is slamming his clubs in the bag and moaning after every shot.

i have no issues with music on the course i don't listen to it while playing others that do i am fine as long as it is not so loud that it disturbs me
At the range i an not a fan of the dude blasting his beats right next to me that is what ear buds are for

My friends and I almost always have music on. We try to keep it within our group as far as how loud it gets but most of the time we just listen to chill music which tends to be not as burdening on the people who may not like music during the round. We had one guy last year from a group I was in tell us on hole 15 that he hated the music being on and contributed that as to the reason his round sucked. I know it's not true but after he said that we turned it off and he continued on his terrible round. That is the only complaint I've had in about 2 or 3 years of almost always listening to music on the course

This assumes once again that the music will be heard by others. And the same can be said for the guy yelling and laughing every two seconds, the golfer that is slamming on the brakes on the cart, the player that is slamming his clubs in the bag and moaning after every shot.

This is true JB. and I actually like music provided its music I like to hear while playing lol. All things you mention are very inconsiderate and some people will do all including loud music. But people cant decide when its ok or not make noise based on whether or not the situation is important to them only and it dioes happen that way too. Even the other inconsiderate noises you mention. Unfortunately "some" people who do such inconsiderate things may do them more in casual rounds but never in a round they feel is more important or seruious to them. They would feel its ok to be noisier, perhpas scream, perhpas not be so aware of club clanging, cart skidding etc, when the round in thier view is only "casual". But then they are strongly against such things and entitled to better etiquette for thier more important rounds. Never once considering the way another may view his own casual round.

Last edited:
My friends and I almost always have music on. We try to keep it within our group as far as how loud it gets but most of the time we just listen to chill music which tends to be not as burdening on the people who may not like music during the round. We had one guy last year from a group I was in tell us on hole 15 that he hated the music being on and contributed that as to the reason his round sucked. I know it's not true but after he said that we turned it off and he continued on his terrible round. That is the only complaint I've had in about 2 or 3 years of almost always listening to music on the course
Maybe you had already ruined his round by that point. And he only had three holes to go, was he supposed to magically start hitting it well, like his attitude suddenly changed because the music was gone?

And just because you didn't have any complaints doesn't mean people didn't mind. Maybe, for whatever reason, they didn't feel like they should have said anything to you.

Do you ask first, or do you just start up the music and assume if someone has a problem, then it's their responsibility to speak up? And how do you know what is "not as burdening" to someone who doesn't want to listen to music. If they don't want to listen to music, then anything is "burdening".

There is one point of logic here that has been made In this thread as well as in the article itself that i think it is wrong logic. What i mean is that there is some mentionings that seem to imply music being more ok or acceptable for casual golf vs more serious, more important round of golf. But there is a big problem with that logic.

This comment is not about my thoughts on music playing and you can read my earlier post on my feelngs about that as i'm not totaly against it . But what it is about is this. Who is to say just how serious or important a round of golf is to anyone and every one around you? One may play competitively and not like music in what he deems a more important and more serious scenario but then says its ok if in a less serious or less important casual round. But what you fail to realize is that not every one plays competitive golf and this casual round may be viewed just as seriously by other people as you do your more important ones.

Why would you get to dictate whether or not the golf is important enough for anybody else. If an individual plays his weekend golf in a non competitive form it does not mean he is not serious and does not mean it is not important to him. He may not like the music or like the type of music while playing. How can another decide just how important a round of golf is to another person and when its ok to have music or not for others simply because the round holds no value for you vs your competitive rounds. Your so called casual round may be all the other person has. That is (intentional or not) and (like it or not) called entitlement. Only you are entitled to quiet when in your important round but then can dictate and decide it is now ok for all to hear music when the round holds no important meaning to you because its casual golf? Why would the guy who only plays casual rounds not be allowed to view it serious and important to him?
^^^ What he said!

That was a great read! Really digging this new column and looking forward to reading more interesting topics to come!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Back