Music on the course

If I can hear it from another group, it is too loud. I'm a musician so I notice literally every bit of music around me, which is a blessing and a curse. I play golf to get away from the noise, so for me, I am not a fan of music on the golf course. Keep the volume down so that we can all get what we want.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Give me all the music. I’ll stay off your lawn ;)

I don’t understand the all or nothing stances today, just because someone has music on the course doesn’t mean it’s going to absolutely be loud or obnoxious, nor is it disrespectful to the game.

Are there some people who play it too loud? Sure, but that’s life, it’s not a black and white thing, we can be in the gray here people.

Now excuse me while I keep the tunes on in my rounds as well as allowing my HS teams to listen while they practice. As I said, I’ll stay off y’alls lawns ;);););););)

Because it seems that it's "all or nothing" coming at me! Just like you "I'll stay off your lawn" comment meant to portray me and others as some kind of unreasonable people. All or nothing? There it is! We must accommodate you! How dare we have an opinion that is contrary to yours. True, you didn't use those words, but the snarky attitude is quite evident.

If I can hear it from another group, it is too loud. I'm a musician so I notice literally every bit of music around me, which is a blessing and a curse. I play golf to get away from the noise, so for me, I am not a fan of music on the golf course. Keep the volume down so that we can all get what we want.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I agree. If I can't hear it, I have nothing to complain about. If I can hear it, I do! This past Summer, there was a group behind us putting out on a green that was a good 100 yards from the next tee. It wasn't like we could barely hear the music, we could hear it plain as day! Much too loud.

I'm no longer a musician, but I love music! Studied piano for 10 years, but gave it up for reasons I won't go into here. My Mom had the Columbia Classics master pressings, and I would put them on the stereo and listen to them when I was 5 years old! Which is why I like classical music to this day. But there are times when I can just appreciate the quiet! I'll get home, pour myself a drink, and whatever media is on I will turn off! It's so nice.

I’m not sure about the old part, but you definitely sound curmudgeonly. I’m sure there will be plenty of others that will chime in and share your opinion though.
Not trying to be rude, but a 30 H/C golfer probably does like the music.

I always find this an interesting topic, over here in the UK I genuinely can't remember the last time I heard any music on the course. Is honestly not a thing over here. Might be down to the fact that probably 99.9% of golfers walk and actually seeing a cart on the course is an extreme rarity as well, only thing I can think of.
People in the UK know how the game is supposed to be played. Too bad a lot of people in the US don't.

Because it seems that it's "all or nothing" coming at me! Just like you "I'll stay off your lawn" comment meant to portray me and others as some kind of unreasonable people. All or nothing? There it is! We must accommodate you! How dare we have an opinion that is contrary to yours. True, you didn't use those words, but the snarky attitude is quite evident.

I agree. If I can't hear it, I have nothing to complain about. If I can hear it, I do! This past Summer, there was a group behind us putting out on a green that was a good 100 yards from the next tee. It wasn't like we could barely hear the music, we could hear it plain as day! Much too loud.

I'm no longer a musician, but I love music! Studied piano for 10 years, but gave it up for reasons I won't go into here. My Mom had the Columbia Classics master pressings, and I would put them on the stereo and listen to them when I was 5 years old! Which is why I like classical music to this day. But there are times when I can just appreciate the quiet! I'll get home, pour myself a drink, and whatever media is on I will turn off! It's so nice.

If you’re capable of reading attitude through text, then you’ve got supernatural powers. The funny thing about tone in text, there’s no way to truly gauge it, so instead we see it the way we WANT to see it.

If I am playing by myself, I will throw in ear buds and listen to music. If I am in a group that I know, they usually have it playing. If I am paired randomly with people I will have ear buds while riding/walking to my ball but take them out on tees and greens so I c hear any conversation.

Then that’s their fault, no? If one is that timid, then perhaps they should just play solo all the time.

And I’m going to add this in because some of you are focusing on the inability to give full attention, etc. It goes both ways, for some, music allows focusing in on the moment soon, as a former teacher I had MANY students who the minute I let them listen to music while working the focus went up and they outside world was tuned out, and their work got better, I was even one of those as a student. Same goes for the course, I’ve got many golfers who by allowing to listen to music in their practice rounds they are in the moment MORE and MORE focused as they’re actually enjoying themselves and staying relaxed. Crazy thing? They all also still have great etiquette and respect for the game, many going on to play college golf as well. Crazy right?

It’s not a one way road here. It’s not black and white. It’s not cut and dry. We have forgotten how to look at both sides of something.

It’s simple, have tact. If you do with your music I the course and know your situation, then everyone will be happy.

Then that’s their fault, no? If one is that timid, then perhaps they should just play solo all the time.

Really? That's your answer? Too F'in bad about them?

It’s not a one way road here. It’s not black and white. It’s not cut and dry. We have forgotten how to look at both sides of something.

I do nothing intentionally or blindly inadvertent to bother others on the golf course. You can't say that and that's the difference.

Not that there have been a lot of ages given by people responding to the thread so far, but I've seen ages of 39, 58, and 69 saying they listen to music on the course. I'm not sure that falls under "damn kids these days" territory. :LOL:

Well, I'd ask your small sample how long they've been doing it. We had boom boxes back in the 70s and 80s and nobody played music out on the course. In fact, it was only three years ago that I encountered it personally. A few times since. I believe it's more of a recent trend and thus, I assume it to be most prominent among the younger players. Of course that's a generalization. The Caddyshack scene where D'Annunzio cranks Journey out of the golf bag was largely comical because, at the time anyway, it was way out of place on the golf course.

Really? That's your answer? Too F'in bad about them?

I do nothing intentionally or blindly inadvertent to bother others on the golf course. You can't say that and that's the difference.

Well, I'd ask your small sample how long they've been doing it. We had boom boxes back in the 70s and 80s and nobody played music out on the course. In fact, it was only three years ago that I encountered it personally. A few times since. I believe it's more of a recent trend and thus, I assume it to be most prominent among the younger players. Of course that's a generalization. The Caddyshack scene where D'Annunzio cranks Journey out of the golf bag was largely comical because, at the time anyway, it was way out of place on the golf course.
Really. You can’t help those that won’t help themselves. If they’re asked and don’t say they’d rather not, then what else can be done?

If a course doesn’t have rules against it, then it is what it is, if they do, then no music.

I always find it funny that for YEARS we have constantly said we need to attract more to the game....but at the same time it’s with caveat’s.

Also, generalizing that it’s just young people is a gross overestimation.

I ignore it.
But when people start drinking and the volume goes up, that’s when I literally ask to “turn that shat down” because let’s be honest when your drunk your most likely listening to shat. It’s funny how hole 1 has country or soft rock and by hole 9 rap is blaring. Now I have no problem with any type of music, just use some common courtesy.

I will start by saying I HATE the new trend of music being played on the course. This trend seems to have started about 2 years ago and seems to be accelerating. Players blaring all sorts of noise, music, while playing are inconsiderate of others IMO. I have had to ask playing partners to turn the music off especially when I am addressing the ball. Am I a curmudgeon or are there others with the same opinion? I have heard some courses have banned the practice. My club to my dismay has just bought new carts with build in speakers.

I think it’s it’s too loud and you can hear it from a hole over it’s pretty annoying. That being said, if everyone in your group agrees to it, I love it. Golf at our level shouldn’t be taken too seriously. I’m also a guy that loves a quiet round by myself from time to time:

otherwise, ya sound a little like this guy!

I dunno. Music doesn't bother me. Sudden sounds don't either. I spend so much time at the range, its common to see kids out there making noise. I just tune it out and focus on my shot.

I can only speak for myself and my experiences, but I've seen it and been doing it since digital music on mp3 players/phones and small, convenient Bluetooth speakers became available - so maybe 15 years, give or take a couple. Prior to that, it was impractical to carry a big ghetto blaster around the golf course, even in a cart.

It's kinda like how we didn't used to carry phones with us everywhere because it was hard to find an extension cord long enough to throw your home phone in the car and take it along with you, and it would have made a big tangly mess on the roads if everybody had been doing that. But now almost everybody has a phone with them wherever they go. And some people aren't courteous or considerate about how and when they use them, including on the golf course. It's kinda like that.

On another note. My grandson loves music on the course. During the winter he has this beanie with small blue tooth speakers built in. I can't hear it but he can. Sometimes I talk to him and he can't hear me. During the summer he has a little speaker attached to his phone. At least he likes classic rock. It never bothered me.

Not trying to be rude, but a 30 H/C golfer probably does like the music.

1. You clearly ARE trying to be rude, and that’s okay. Just own it.

2. It is a well known fact that music has only survived all this time based on the demand of crappy golfers.

I used to not be a fan, but when I'm out walking the course by myself having music is relaxing. Honestly, it helps keep my mind clear of how scrappy I'm doing...

I don't play music when I play but I play with guys that do. It doesn't make my game any better or worse. It doesn't seem to make their game any better either. 😂

Really. You can’t help those that won’t help themselves. If they’re asked and don’t say they’d rather not, then what else can be done?

If a course doesn’t have rules against it, then it is what it is, if they do, then no music.

I always find it funny that for YEARS we have constantly said we need to attract more to the game....but at the same time it’s with caveat’s.

Also, generalizing that it’s just young people is a gross overestimation.

What a weak response. You're selfish and simply don't give a crap about others around you. Just own it.

If the level of patience and consideration for others displayed in this thread is any indication then it’s a wonder that we don’t have more fistfights on the course.

It’s a two way street. Both sides can act reasonably.

Like music while you play? Cool. Keep it reasonable, be considerate, turn it down or off if asked.

Don’t want any music while you’re out there? Cool. Ask politely if you’d like others to turn it down or off while you swing.

A little patience and understanding - from both sides - goes a long way.

FWIW... I’m 44, been a musician my whole life, played professionally for several years.

I don’t usually play music while I’m out there. I’m hard of hearing and it makes it tougher for me to understand conversations.

Additionally, part of my pre-shot routine includes “playing” a song in my head for tempo and focus reasons, so I’d rather not hear any other music at that point.

All that said: if you want to have some tunes on, fine, it won’t ruin my day. If I don’t have the mental toughness to tune it out during my swing, that’s on me to improve. I may ask you to turn it down a bit so we can have a decent conversation but that’s it.

FWIW... I’m 44, been a musician my whole life, played professionally for several years.

I don’t usually play music while I’m out there. I’m hard of hearing and it makes it tougher for me to understand conversations.

Additionally, part of my pre-shot routine includes “playing” a song in my head for tempo and focus reasons, so I’d rather not hear any other music at that point.

All that said: if you want to have some tunes on, fine, it won’t ruin my day. If I don’t have the mental toughness to tune it out during my swing, that’s on me to improve. I may ask you to turn it down a bit so we can have a decent conversation but that’s it.
I love it. IMO, that’s the key, being able and willing to converse about it, not just ranting and raving for the sake of it.

Also, I adore that Pre shot idea/routine, that’s a great idea.

I love it. IMO, that’s the key, being able and willing to converse about it, not just ranting and raving for the sake of it.

Also, I adore that Pre shot idea/routine, that’s a great idea.

Yeah, I mean, compromise and cooperation are part of life.

The “song in my head” thing has been very helpful for me. There are several tunes that are right around the same tempo that work well for my swing: Back in Black, Stayin’ Alive and Brown Sugar come to mind.

So when my buddy has on Metallica it’s kinda tough to keep from rushing my swing, LOL... but I look at it as a mental challenge: can I block it out and put a nice smooth swing on the ball anyway?

Yeah, I mean, compromise and cooperation are part of life.

The “song in my head” thing has been very helpful for me. There are several tunes that are right around the same tempo that work well for my swing: Back in Black, Stayin’ Alive and Brown Sugar come to mind.

So when my buddy has on Metallica it’s kinda tough to keep from rushing my swing, LOL... but I look at it as a mental challenge: can I block it out and put a nice smooth swing on the ball anyway?
Love everything about this. And I have some HS and JH kiddos this might be a great thought for.

Love everything about this. And I have some HS and JH kiddos this might be a great thought for.

Stayin Alive also works for strutting down the fairway LOL...

Back