It's looks like a sweet set up lol

Once I get my dream job at the CDC (lol), my man cave will look like this room
jvEuJfV.jpg

I really like bringing my own les Paul to try out amps and pedals, I really haven't found one that plays as well in a long time.

It makes sense to me. It's set up like you want it, with your own style (satchuration) why use one that's unfamiliar?

It makes sense to me. It's set up like you want it, with your own style (satchuration) why use one that's unfamiliar?

That's exactly why I bring it, i have a great relationship with the local music store owner and he'll let me take amps, and pedals and gig with them for the week to test them out when I am interested in purchasing something, and he also let's me bring my entire rig if I need to try out a new pedal or a new amp, this is awesome for me because it allows me to get a feel for the equipment before I buy anything. Also any time I've had an issue with and amp, he lends me one of theirs until my stuff is fixed. He's the same guy that lent me a huge blackstar 2x12 when I was waiting for orange to send me my cab.

I love my satchuration hahahh

Hey Satch, are both of your Les Paul's standards? Or studios?

And do they have the same pickup.

Musicians???

I have two studios, one with burst bucker pros and the other with 489, 490 pickups and my favorite is my les Paul traditional, it has 57 classic pickups that are as close to the original PAF pickups from 57-60, these are my favorite pickups. They do have the PAF reissues on their historic collections, but those guitars run at $5000

Last edited:
How would you describe the differences in what you hear from the pickups?

I noticed that the 498T is much hotter than the 57 classic + that is in my bridge position. The 498 has a pronounced midrange, and is great for overdriven stuff, but not as good in my opinion for clean sounds. The 57s are "lower gain" pickups so they drive later than the 498/490. It seems a lot of musicians I've talked to ditch the 490/498 for something else like the 57s because they are smoother and better rounded. I really didn't like the burst bucker pros, they are too bright and lack dynamics in my opinion, but I really love the 57/57+ combination in my Les Paul traditional.

The difference between the traditional and the standard Les Paul, is the neck profile, pickups and weight relief. The newer standards have a strange contoured neck that starts with a thick neck (59 profile) on the low string side, and then tapers off to thinner neck (60s profile) Also the entire body is chambered to remove weight, and has locking tuners. Some players believe that chambering takes away from the tone because the solid mahogany body contributes a lot to the sustain of the guitar.

The traditional on the other hand has a thick neck, and instead of chambering, has small weight relieved holes in the body which keeps the guitar at around 9.5 pounds, and the sustain is still there. Also the pickups are closer to the original 59 burst. This is the best way to get a good Les Paul without paying $5,000 for a historic custom shop reissue.

Both my studios have chambered bodies, and weigh around 6 pounds, vs my traditional which weighs 10 pounds. Also my studios use circuit boards for their electronics, vs my Les paul that is hand wired. When I bought mine in 2010, it sold for 2300, now they are selling for 2900.
gibson-weight-relief-bodies_2_3_1_1_2_2_2_3_1_1_1_3_1.jpg

just picked up a new EVH 5150 III 50w head & matching 2x12 cab. Been looking for a lunchbox head/cab for a couple years - played them all, just couldn't pull the trigger on one. I wasn't looking for 50W, but I knew about 30 seconds into demo-ing, this was the one. It kills for 80's metal ... amazed at how good it sounds at bedroom volume too.

PS - I noticed on all of the les paul weight relief pictures above ... none of them are drilled for the bridge (only the tailpiece) ... seems strange. Maybe they have to drill the bridge stud holes after the neck is on to account for any inconsistencies with the neck glue in ??

just picked up a new EVH 5150 III 50w head & matching 2x12 cab. Been looking for a lunchbox head/cab for a couple years - played them all, just couldn't pull the trigger on one. I wasn't looking for 50W, but I knew about 30 seconds into demo-ing, this was the one. It kills for 80's metal ... amazed at how good it sounds at bedroom volume too.

PS - I noticed on all of the les paul weight relief pictures above ... none of them are drilled for the bridge (only the tailpiece) ... seems strange. Maybe they have to drill the bridge stud holes after the neck is on to account for any inconsistencies with the neck glue in ??

Congrats on the EVH as far as lunch box amps, I love the dark terror over the other lunch box Amps I've owned.

I have no idea about the bridge stud holes, maybe they don't go deeper than the maple cap or something

I had a great start to my birthday, got to play with my friends
crJG9ZF.jpg

Gibson LP and orange amp giveaway by AMS

http://woobox.com/7hvad2/bvh4iu

(entering through that link gives me a bonus entry.) The contest can be found on their website and face book

That's an awesome contest, I'm in, thanks Rhyno!

Any piano players here with the ability to record that might be willing to help me out in a pinch?

Here's the situation - earlier this year, my grandmother found sheet music with the piano notation and main vocal melody of a song my great-grandfather wrote and copyrighted in 1933. She's never heard the song, but remembers him talking about it. I had a local piano player sight read the music quickly, and he offered to record it during one of his studio sessions (the song's not long, maybe 2:30 if that, think old-timey ragtime piano) and another friend who's a vocal instructor volunteered to sing and come up with some backing parts.

Unfortunately, the piano player has now flaked twice on me. I really wanted to have the song done by now, even in rough form, because my grandmother's dementia is getting worse and I'd feel terrible if I was able to get it recorded and she had no idea what it was. If anyone has the ability to track piano, I don't care if it's acoustic or a digital/MIDI setup, please let me know and I can send you a PDF of the sheet music. I'll gladly barter your time in exchange for drum tracks, editing, mixing/mastering if you need it. Feel free to PM me, and I can send you the music to see if it's something you'd like to do. Many thanks!

Oh I haven't played in forever, no time.

But I have to go and get some diapers for a baby shower so I figured I might stop by the music store (it's a very small one) and see what they got for acoustic electrics. I should be getting a good incentive pay... Next week sooooooo..... If to much is taken away in taxes then I'll have to wait until my tax return.

My dad bought himself a really nice custom Martin, it's so nice!
0N4LMkN.jpg

kblx44f.jpg

QgIKN5P.jpg

My dear Jeebus that is a gorgeous guitar, Satch. Martins are amazing.

My dear Jeebus that is a gorgeous guitar, Satch. Martins are amazing.

Yeah they are! He's always wanted to get a good guitar, and he was going to get a Taylor at first, but ended up going with a Martin. I've never played anything so amazing. I'm jealous haha

Yeah they are! He's always wanted to get a good guitar, and he was going to get a Taylor at first, but ended up going with a Martin. I've never played anything so amazing. I'm jealous haha

As well you should be! Lol

Any piano players here with the ability to record that might be willing to help me out in a pinch?

Here's the situation - earlier this year, my grandmother found sheet music with the piano notation and main vocal melody of a song my great-grandfather wrote and copyrighted in 1933. She's never heard the song, but remembers him talking about it. I had a local piano player sight read the music quickly, and he offered to record it during one of his studio sessions (the song's not long, maybe 2:30 if that, think old-timey ragtime piano) and another friend who's a vocal instructor volunteered to sing and come up with some backing parts.

Unfortunately, the piano player has now flaked twice on me. I really wanted to have the song done by now, even in rough form, because my grandmother's dementia is getting worse and I'd feel terrible if I was able to get it recorded and she had no idea what it was. If anyone has the ability to track piano, I don't care if it's acoustic or a digital/MIDI setup, please let me know and I can send you a PDF of the sheet music. I'll gladly barter your time in exchange for drum tracks, editing, mixing/mastering if you need it. Feel free to PM me, and I can send you the music to see if it's something you'd like to do. Many thanks!

Only just seen this. Assume you got it done eventually. Sounds like an amazing story..

Only just seen this. Assume you got it done eventually. Sounds like an amazing story..

Haven't gotten it recorded yet, unfortunately. Seems the world is full of bedroom producers who can mimic any guitar tone at will, but very few keyboardists who can play 1930's ragtime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back