13516395_865899680220108_8197778023611997580_n.jpg

13509045_865902080219868_4858967820447387838_n.jpg

Wow, cool. Glad I found this thread...I've played guitar for about 25 years and worked professionally in the industry about 15-16 years ago. I still maintain a lot of connections but just fill in for friends or play bar gigs every now and then. I had the opportunity to work with a bunch of rock, jam band, jazz fusion and blues guys over the years.

I also have a minor addiction to guitar gear...some of this stuff still remains... This is a sampling of the past 5 years... The last 25 would be scary given the sheer amount of 4x12 cabs and Marshalls... The two guitars in the first pic are 1a and 1b.

9ca10d84e32dedae4bd4ba3b88f3d67e.jpg

2fed2eb3d73485e0b55641847aa2a660.jpg

0a61e11fb43101d19b0f5768c43f0d93.jpg

d76a7791e02364e85a6fafa36614d0cf.jpg

4979b52c322b3fc78bc8805ab44133a2.jpg

3bdfb4acbc010ab60fc6f53b9649977f.jpg

90a5e3d01e2b5268b1c5fd53204534c1.jpg

bdf7021c07a9c0baf031de3c10de06e8.jpg

74f2bb972781108ec854bc8ab4cd2b4f.jpg

a37b0a06ea6d01e0d4ab135bdd752b30.jpg

d2da9f6f38fe432b5a4324c25680178e.jpg

Been lucky to meet a few of my guitar heroes in the past few years. Here are a few... Didn't get to work with these guys but their playing is amazing and I acted like a dumb fan boy

e1838443576a23f21e69bd33347d52e1.jpg

2611a4d07d68e70f8226f26174406bea.jpg

e248650eeb07f49eb3b2c829d2de504a.jpg

Anyway, that's enough humble bragging... I hang out on the Gear Page too.

Wait, is that a No-Caster? Or a tele with the neck pickup removed?

Either way, man, that's an awesome collection!

Wait, is that a No-Caster? Or a tele with the neck pickup removed?

Either way, man, that's an awesome collection!
I don't have it any more but it was a 57 with the neck pickup removed and wired up like an Esquire. I miss thst one.

The finish on those two Les Pauls are to die for. Gorgeous!!!!

Some great gear and legendary artists.

Currently I'm just rocking acoustics. Eventually I'll get back to electric guitar playing, but for now my guitars are meager in number and quality:

IMG_20160626_185654_zpsrvmhdse7.jpg

This is my every day player, an Alvarez FF60WR. All maple body, rosewood fretboard. Super warm sound that I really like. Plus, since it's a folk-sized guitar, it's not very loud, so great for playing at home.

IMG_20160626_185723_zpsiaaajhj8.jpg
IMG_20160626_185741_zpslun9eamh.jpg

This is my big baby; a cutaway Dreadnought, maple sides & back and an Englemann spruce top. My uncle needed a second career after he retired from the Army, so he became a luthier. This is serial number 007, which he made for me in 2009. The accents and fretboard are bloodwood, which I love, and it's tone and sustain for days. It needs a little work, particularly a new nut, but I love this guitar so much.

Last edited:
Very cool!

Trying a TT photo post for the first time, thought this would be a good test
c95336b57bf6a427f623baf726c7c8ff.jpg

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

I had a Mark IV that was my #1 for a couple years on the road. Great, great amp. There is no hiding when you play that one. It exposed all my sloppy playing, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Musicians???

Ok I finally took a few pics. I'm not a collector by any stretch. Not that I have an problem with collectors - if that's your thing; cool. Just not my thing. For me it's all about playability and functionality. If a piece of gear doesn't work for me then off it goes, and if it does work for me I hang on to it.

Here's my wall o' guitars:

bc47507f9e9a229b2104e1806097a377.jpg

Left is an old Hamer short scale bass that was a gift. It comes in handy for me when I need to record a scratch bass track as the short scale makes it easier to play.

Center is my mid-90s Les Paul Studio. More on that in a minute. Right is my mid 90s G&L Legacy. More on that in a minute as well.

The acoustic is an old Takamine that my dad bought me in high school. That thing has a lot of miles on it and I wouldn't part with it for anything.

972bd1c65ab70ccd99aee3b4bfb1284f.jpg

So that's the G&L. Got it on the Gear Page for $500 (a STEAL for sure). It originally had 3 stock single coils in a pearl white pickguard. I wanted a HB in the back and found a guy selling a Duncan PAF for $40 on eBay with the SSH pickguard so I grabbed it. The 2nd tone knob is wired to split the HB into a single coil. It's a very playable, useful and comfortable guitar.

bec25146a9c86888f81287a32ba2cf5e.jpg

My old LP... pretty much retired at this point as I've had to have the headstock repaired twice now and it won't hold tune very well anymore. Lots of good mojo on that instrument. It got stolen and I got it back - long story, haha.

81b993d2bd00c55d55227f0b5ea61805.jpg

The pedalboard - not too fancy.

Dunlop Wah > Bad Monkey (poor man's Tube Screamer) > Fulltone FD2 > Line 6 M9 > Tech 21 Blonde analog amp sim. I use the Tech 21 for rehearsal and the occasional gig where volume has to stay reasonable.

EDIT: forgot the Boss acoustic simulator. Helpful for some cover band gigs since I'm too lazy to bring my acoustic AND I'm the only guitar player. Makes it easy to switch between acoustic/electric on the same song.

e00bf99ebf62ac4749ec1ef7c949b954.jpg

My beloved mid-70s Fender Champ. Absolutely adore this amp. It's my secret weapon.

c6710b645a3ce209147ba9d812362c1b.jpg

A Peavey Minx bass amp that will still be working just fine along with the cockroaches and Twinkies after the apocalypse. It was a gift from an old friend. You can't kill this amp. I've tried.

8d93817b7164dbe880bb29919d5f9891.jpg

Lastly my Gretsch Catalina Club kit. Another gift from a friend (I have great friends, haha). Really fun little kit. Solid as can be and not too loud.

Anyway that's my gear. It's not flashy. It just... works. Does what I need it to do.

Last edited:
I had a Mark IV that was my #1 for a couple years on the road. Great, great amp. There is no hiding when you play that one. It exposed all my sloppy playing, haha.

Yeah, that's a fact. The amp is so tight that mistakes are accented. It has made me a better player though. It's my 3rd IV and the best sounding one by far, I'll never let it go. I owned a mkIIc years ago and wish I never got rid of it. Been playing boogies since 81, everything else just doesn't move me like a Mesa. I need to check out the new jp-2c+. That could be trouble.

Awesome to see some Mesa love. I had a Mark IV combo in a road case that is still etched in my mind as one of the heaviest pieces of gear ever.

5150, seeing you in this thread confirms my suspicions about your username origins. VH!

Ok I finally took a few pics. I'm not a collector by any stretch. Not that I have an problem with collectors - if that's your thing; cool. Just not my thing. For me it's all about playability and functionality. If a piece of gear doesn't work for me then off it goes, and if it does work for me I hang on to it.

Here's my wall o' guitars:

bc47507f9e9a229b2104e1806097a377.jpg

Left is an old Hamer short scale bass that was a gift. It comes in handy for me when I need to record a scratch bass track as the short scale makes it easier to play.

Center is my mid-90s Les Paul Studio. More on that in a minute. Right is my mid 90s G&L Legacy. More on that in a minute as well.

The acoustic is an old Takamine that my dad bought me in high school. That thing has a lot of miles on it and I wouldn't part with it for anything.

972bd1c65ab70ccd99aee3b4bfb1284f.jpg

So that's the G&L. Got it on the Gear Page for $500 (a STEAL for sure). It originally had 3 stock single coils in a pearl white pickguard. I wanted a HB in the back and found a guy selling a Duncan PAF for $40 on eBay with the SSH pickguard so I grabbed it. The 2nd tone knob is wired to split the HB into a single coil. It's a very playable, useful and comfortable guitar.

bec25146a9c86888f81287a32ba2cf5e.jpg

My old LP... pretty much retired at this point as I've had to have the headstock repaired twice now and it won't hold tune very well anymore. Lots of good mojo on that instrument. It got stolen and I got it back - long story, haha.

81b993d2bd00c55d55227f0b5ea61805.jpg

The pedalboard - not too fancy.

Dunlop Wah > Bad Monkey (poor man's Tube Screamer) > Fulltone FD2 > Line 6 M9 > Tech 21 Blonde analog amp sim. I use the Tech 21 for rehearsal and the occasional gig where volume has to stay reasonable.

e00bf99ebf62ac4749ec1ef7c949b954.jpg

My beloved mid-70s Fender Champ. Absolutely adore this amp. It's my secret weapon.

c6710b645a3ce209147ba9d812362c1b.jpg

A Peavey Minx bass amp that will still be working just fine along with the cockroaches and Twinkies after the apocalypse. It was a gift from an old friend. You can't kill this amp. I've tried.

8d93817b7164dbe880bb29919d5f9891.jpg

Lastly my Gretsch Catalina Club kit. Another gift from a friend (I have great friends, haha). Really fun little kit. Solid as can be and not too loud.

Anyway that's my gear. It's not flashy. It just... works. Does what I need it to do.

Nice gear. Dig the G&L. I bought a S500 in 81 and owned that guitar until recently. It needed new frets because it was #1 for so long. It sat in it's case for a couple of years and someone made me an offer on it I couldn't refuse. My biggest gear selling regret to date. G.A.S can be a bad thing sometimes.

Awesome to see some Mesa love. I had a Mark IV combo in a road case that is still etched in my mind as one of the heaviest pieces of gear ever.

5150, seeing you in this thread confirms my suspicions about your username origins. VH!

My first was a wide body combo that sat on a custom wide body theil cab I made. Both with evm12's. Moving them around was no fun. Now i have the head and 2 standard theils that are much more manageable. Not that they get moved much anymore.

My first was a wide body combo that sat on a custom wide body theil cab I made. Both with evm12's. Moving them around was no fun. Now i have the head and 2 standard theils that are much more manageable. Not that they get moved much anymore.
Yeah, this one was a widebody and had the EVM... Oh my aching back.

Yeah, that's a fact. The amp is so tight that mistakes are accented. It has made me a better player though. It's my 3rd IV and the best sounding one by far, I'll never let it go. I owned a mkIIc years ago and wish I never got rid of it. Been playing boogies since 81, everything else just doesn't move me like a Mesa. I need to check out the new jp-2c+. That could be trouble.

My favorite tone out of it was RHY 2 with my old Tube Screamer (the one that a guitar tech fried by plugging it into a 12 volt power supply... sigh) pushing it.

I sold my Mark IV during some tough financial times and always regretted it. Came across a combo a few years ago and picked it up. Still loved the tone but I'm not playing big shows anymore and I really couldn't justify having that thing since I couldn't open it up and let it breathe on the small stages. I sold it and just play the Champ now.

Ha... yeah, Ed's one of my heroes for sure.

Nice gear. Dig the G&L. I bought a S500 in 81 and owned that guitar until recently. It needed new frets because it was #1 for so long. It sat in it's case for a couple of years and someone made me an offer on it I couldn't refuse. My biggest gear selling regret to date. G.A.S can be a bad thing sometimes.

I played a friend's S500 a few years back and just loved it. That's what inspired the Legacy purchase.

Here's the pedalboard I gigged the other day

2c897d0d509d2d938fab3e0a49643814.jpg

I've played guitar since the late 70's and virtually stopped when I had kids. It's been off and on since then - off 5 years, on two weeks. I got back a little to it lately because my youngest daughter wanted to learn. I got her an acoustic and a couple of uke's, thanks to twenty one pilots.

Anyway, here's my piece. It's just an Epi and not a Gibson, and the amp is the cheapest POS I could afford. If the playing will continue and the work is good till December, maybe I'll gift myself with some serious hardware.

I realized that I should be buying these stuff like I do golf clubs now - try before you buy.

It's not as great as some as the hardware I see here, but it's my stuff.
e99835a7315d823cf724cdfc80f8502d.jpg

I also realize I'm not taking care of it as well as the others here.

Sent from my SM-E500H using Tapatalk

I got myself an iRig. Pretty fun to be able to run my guitars through some effects I wouldn't normally use. Even without effects, being able to hear my guitar's mix of amp and microphone and adjust my play to get the tone I like has been pretty illuminating. An electric guitar has been put on my Christmas list, so slowly compiling pedals and amps in the Amplitube app will hopefully make for a pretty diverse sound set once I go electric.

I got myself an iRig. Pretty fun to be able to run my guitars through some effects I wouldn't normally use. Even without effects, being able to hear my guitar's mix of amp and microphone and adjust my play to get the tone I like has been pretty illuminating. An electric guitar has been put on my Christmas list, so slowly compiling pedals and amps in the Amplitube app will hopefully make for a pretty diverse sound set once I go electric.
Do you strictly use headphones or near field speakers? I heard someone playing through an irig and feeding a pair of Bose stage monitors and it sounded spectacular! Couldn't believe the quality. I don't know if it was the app or speakers. I do use near fields as a bedroom rig when I am watching TV and noodling. I run through a Boss Micro BR loaded with a bunch of backing tracks, it sounds surprisingly good. There is something to be said about quality desktop speakers.

Here's the pedalboard I gigged the other day

I dig the mix of modern and vintage. I have bought and sold so many pedals over the years that I wish I just kept. Now I just run through an all in one and have it set to manual mode. I switch in and out effects as needed. I don't gig anymore, but I miss it sometimes. Just don't have the time or energy anymore. I do like getting together with friends to jam once in a while. Epic 30 minute jams with several key and time signature changes. Awesome.

I dig the mix of modern and vintage. I have bought and sold so many pedals over the years that I wish I just kept. Now I just run through an all in one and have it set to manual mode. I switch in and out effects as needed. I don't gig anymore, but I miss it sometimes. Just don't have the time or energy anymore. I do like getting together with friends to jam once in a while. Epic 30 minute jams with several key and time signature changes. Awesome.
I'm a gear geek in general...I've owned and ditched so many pedals...I'm dialing back the gigs significantly. Toying with going all modeling with a Fractal or Helix and some really good studio monitors

Last edited:
Back