NCAA Transfer Portal - Good or Bad?

My understanding is you can only transfer one time with this rule? I may be mistaken. But asking a 17 or 18 yet old kid to commit somewhere for 4 years is a big ask. We don't tell kids that go into the work force they have to start at the same company for 4 years. I think being able to transfer one time and be immediately eligible is fair to the athlete. Everyone makes bad choices or goes someplace that doesn't fit them sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think it is good and bad. Basketball wise most of the top talent leave after a year anyways for the draft.

Football is interesting. I don’t think one person can make a mediocre team get the the national championship. Kids should be allowed to transfer if they are not where they want to be. Maybe they don’t want to sit on the bench anymore and transfer to a smaller school. I do feel like there is a lot of tampering and collusion either way.

If coaches leave, the players are allowed to as well. That didn't change.

But the coach can choose to go whenever they want why should the player have to wait to do the same.

I have a son who is a D1 athlete not in a major sport but I think the transfer portal is a good thing. If a kid is unhappy they should be able to find somewhere new to play and not be held hostage.

Scholarships are limited.

And I'd argue the exact opposite. This hurts the small schools. Anytime a lesser school lands or develops a star player, they can jump ship for a year to the big program of their choice.

D1 FBS has 85 scholarships. At big schools there are kids that could be stars somewhere else riding the bench. It is their decision but if they had say 50 or 60 scholarships I think the talent would be more spread out and there might be more parity. Of course that would lower the overall number of scholarships at FBS schools because they would have to offer 25-35 fewer scholarships to women to satisfy Title 9. It will never happen though too much money being made by NCAA Football.

You now effectively have a 1 year scholarship, rather than a 4 year.

more kids will be hurt by this than helped.
That's what it is for the top players anyways. The NCAA is a ClusterF with the way they have treated players for years. Allowing Coaches to sign players then walk away leaving the player stuck at a school playing for a coach who didn't recruit them.

Good for the players. Screw the NCAA and the Colleges who exploit the players.

Screw the NCAA and the Colleges who exploit the players.

This always bugs me, are none of the other thousands of college athletes who get to go to college for free or reduced tuition not exploited too?

The pro leagues are more to blame for putting an age minimum in place. If these kids want to and are able to get paid to play there are plenty of options for them. No one is forcing them to college. NBA/NFL should be an option as well, but they would rather see the colleges turn into a free semi pro system for them, which is what the media is pushing.

The unintended consequences are going to be drastic though. Countless less profitable college programs will be shut down. Thousands and thousands of student athletes will lose their teams and scholarships so a few dozen top athletes get theirs.

It's great. Every other kid on campus can decide to change schools so the major athletes should be able to as well. Also they are now no different than the rest of the athletes because outside of basketball, football, and baseball/softball all the other athletes could come and go from school to school as they pleased anyway.

People have a lot of misconceptions about what the portal is and isn't. It does not eliminate the waiver process, just brings clarity to it.

A graph that illustrates that for basketball.

inset3.png

I think the transfer portal is dumb when it comes to the integrity of college sports. I know that’s not a popular notion nowadays. But for power 5 sports the new free agency every year is ridiculous. I have a D-1 women’s assistant coach as a neighbor. He hates it.

a good compromise in my opinion is you can transfer with no sit out after your sophomore year and if you transfer after your freshman year you must sit out a year still. It seems to be worst in basketball, but this would give players in football the opportunity to transfer without penalty their last year before draft eligibility. This isn’t a professional basketball league it’s still college. If you don’t want to participate in the college process than just play overseas or for the new g league team.

I get the coaches are allowed to leave sentiment, but I have never seen a coach that’s hopped around to 3 different colleges in 3 years either.

I will counter you. If you want them to be like college students then they should be able to come and go as they please and even do it midyear if they want. Every other student on campus has that option. If you want them to sign contracts and honor them than they need to be treated like professional athletes and they should be getting paid by the schools. The schools have for too long been having their cake and eating it too.

These major sports are just being called to the carpet to decide what they are. You can't have the money of pro sports and the athletes of amateur sports. The Olympics figured that out 30 years ago.

People have a lot of misconceptions about what the portal is and isn't. It does not eliminate the waiver process, just brings clarity to it.

A graph that illustrates that for basketball.

View attachment 9004070
There is a exemption to the waiver this year and a strong push to eliminate it moving forwards.

I will counter you. If you want them to be like college students then they should be able to come and go as they please and even do it midyear if they want. Every other student on campus has that option. If you want them to sign contracts and honor them than they need to be treated like professional athletes and they should be getting paid by the schools. The schools have for too long been having their cake and eating it too.

These major sports are just being called to the carpet to decide what they are. You can't have the money of pro sports and the athletes of amateur sports. The Olympics figured that out 30 years ago.

That's a bit of an over simplification though isn't it? They are being paid. Whether or not its deemed enough is for someone else to debate.

There is a exemption to the waiver this year and a strong push to eliminate it moving forwards.

There is, but the push hasn't brought that outcome as of yet (it might).

It's just another way to play favorites to power schools in each sport. It will definitely allow successful players at mid-level schools get poached by bigger schools.

Players are changing schools as often as they change their underwear because they can't handle not having starting positions handed to them so they transfer to another school where one will be given to them.
I disagree with this premise. The old way favored power schools. Power schools can promise kids the moon and stars and then when that kid ends up on the bench they have no recourse except for giving up a year of their life to change that decision. Now they can just say "Peace, this isn't what you promised and I'm leaving". It holds coaches and schools accountable for the promises they make in recruiting. It will also be painfully obvious in 2 or 3 years which coaches are making promises and not keeping them.

That's a bit of an over simplification though isn't it? They are being paid. Whether or not its deemed enough is for someone else to debate.
They are being given an education, but that's not a market. Every school is offering the same good. A college education is a college education. It doesn't matter whether you go to Alabama, Gonzaga, Southern Miss, Utah State, or William & Mary. That's not pay when everyone gets the same thing and it's certainly no reason to make them stick at school x over school y. Why should I stay at x if I hate it and y will give me literally the exact same thing?

They are being given an education, but that's not a market. Every school is offering the same good. A college education is a college education. It doesn't matter whether you go to Alabama, Gonzaga, Southern Miss, Utah State, or William & Mary. That's not pay when everyone gets the same thing and it's certainly no reason to make them stick at school x over school y. Why should I stay at x if I hate it and y will give me literally the exact same thing?

Wait, isn't that exactly what pay is and no I do not believe a college education is the same across the board. There are reasons that all schools do not have the same tuition or entrance criteria, and its not simply tax dollars given. Compound that with lodging, food, outside help, tutors, travel, etc etc etc etc. A Harvard education is not the same as FIU. Their cost is not the same, they are not viewed as the same.

We have sliding and base wages across the board in this country. Fights are waged to raise and lower them all of the time.

Nobody has ever been forced to stay at a school if they didn't like it.

Wait, isn't that exactly what pay is and no I do not believe a college education is the same across the board. There are reasons that all schools do not have the same tuition or entrance criteria, and its not simply tax dollars given. Compound that with lodging, food, outside help, tutors, travel, etc etc etc etc. A Harvard education is not the same as FIU. Their cost is not the same, they are not viewed as the same.

We have sliding and base wages across the board in this country. Fights are waged to raise and lower them all of the time.

Nobody has ever been forced to stay at a school if they didn't like it.
Harvard doesn't offer scholarships to athletes.

I would argue forcing a 19 year old to sit out a year and the way they look at the world and their future is essentially forcing them to stay at a school they don't like. Want evidence? The barrier was removed and the floodgates opened. Clearly the past 70 years many athletes stayed in places they didn't like because of that very reason.

I think the transfer portal is something that sounded good on paper initially, but like most things with the ncaa it just became a mess.

I don't have the answers, but I believe the kids should be able to transfer if the coach they committed to play for goes on to a different job or gets fired. And I think there will always be personal reasons why a kid would want to transfer, but it sounds like the ncaa needs to be find a better way of implementing this.

Harvard doesn't offer scholarships to athletes.

I would argue forcing a 19 year old to sit out a year and the way they look at the world and their future is essentially forcing them to stay at a school they don't like. Want evidence? The barrier was removed and the floodgates opened. Clearly the past 70 years many athletes stayed in places they didn't like because of that very reason.

I know they don't it was an example of tuitions and educations not being viewed the same. You can sub in Stanford if that makes it easier. University of Miami is not the same cost or school that UCF is to keep it in the same state.

The entire notion that they are not being paid is crazy based on the same people saying that are saying that student loans and debt need to be altered. Tell the person with 100k in loans for said education that sitting out a year wouldn't be worth it.

You now effectively have a 1 year scholarship, rather than a 4 year.

more kids will be hurt by this than helped.
This has always been the case for the school. They can send someone packing at any time. They can now and they always could. A scholarship has never been a 4 year commitment by the school.

I know they don't it was an example of tuitions and educations not being viewed the same. You can sub in Stanford if that makes it easier. University of Miami is not the same cost or school that UCF is to keep it in the same state.

The entire notion that they are not being paid is crazy based on the same people saying that are saying that student loans and debt need to be altered. Tell the person with 100k in loans for said education that sitting out a year wouldn't be worth it.
You're getting political here. That second paragraph is a big assumption on who supports what. People aren't monolithic. We have different ideas on different things. I could just as easily say the people who want to heavily regulate the market for college athletes are the same people who don't want to be regulated themselves.

If you truly think they are being adequately paid then let a market open for their services. If they are being compensated adequately already none of them will get paid extra. If athletes start getting paid immediately that is plenty of evidence to this economist that the adequacy of the current compensation does not match the market. College athletes are not operating in a free market and this is one step closer to that. That's a win IMO.

Honestly if they were getting paid what they are worth there would be no cheating. Black markets only arise when regulation creates non efficient markets.

You're getting political here. That second paragraph is a big assumption on who supports what. People aren't monolithic. We have different ideas on different things. I could just as easily say the people who want to heavily regulate the market for college athletes are the same people who don't want to be regulated themselves.

If you truly think they are being adequately paid then let a market open for their services. If they are being compensated adequately already none of them will get paid extra. If athletes start getting paid immediately that is plenty of evidence to this economist that the adequacy of the current compensation does not match the market. College athletes are not operating in a free market and this is one step closer to that. That's a win IMO.
So you're in favor of shutting down all college sports except men's basketball and football? All other sports operate at a deficit. (Even a lot of men's basketball and football programs do).

You made my biggest point though. There are leagues where the top college aged stars can get paid, now. They choose to go to college, they are not forced. There must be some benefit (education, training, exposure) that they can't get in these other leagues. 🤷‍♂️

It's not political.

Nobody is forced to play college sports. It offers an opportunity at an education and exposure without debt. They can go all around the world and get paid immediately to play their sport if they choose.

Every other sport outside of basketball and football lose money each year.

Saying that money would exist for college athletes doesn't show its an inadequate compensation program. It shows that young kids want more money, that is all. They are not losing top talent due to lack of pay at the collegiate level.

I disagree with this premise. The old way favored power schools. Power schools can promise kids the moon and stars and then when that kid ends up on the bench they have no recourse except for giving up a year of their life to change that decision. Now they can just say "Peace, this isn't what you promised and I'm leaving". It holds coaches and schools accountable for the promises they make in recruiting. It will also be painfully obvious in 2 or 3 years which coaches are making promises and not keeping them.
It CAN work that way but I've seen several instances of the opposite. I'm seeing basketball players from smaller schools jump to schools like Ohio State. My college in KY has a freshman this year who helped guide them to the NCAA tournament. I'm afraid if he has another big season he'll now try to jump to a larger and more high profile school in the future.

It's all about money with the NCAA, in a press release around the time they granted Justin Fields transfer waiver to Ohio State they cited "high-profile transfers," as a driving factor behind the committee's decision to review the current waiver process. They aren't doing this to help mid level schools, they are doing it to help high profile schools keep being successful and to keep reloading with talent. It would take a lot to convince me of otherwise.

Nobody is forced to play college sports

That's not rue for football players in particular. There is no market for their services anywhere in the world or the US. They are forced to hold of their professional careers in the only professional league until they are 3 years removed from high school. They literally have 0 options outside of college football to make a transition to a professional career.

Having options to me in the other sports might be a good reason to not pay college athletes, although I'm not sold on that. It doesn't justify them not being able to go to whatever school wants them to play for them.

If you're worried about corruption well, corruption only happens when the price of a good doesn't match the free market price of a good. Like I said there wouldn't be cheating in recruiting if every kid was worth a college scholarship or less. It happens because a lot of kids are worth more than a college scholarship, but a college scholarship is all they are allowed to be paid.

College football and basketball haven't been what college football and basketball claim to be about for a long time.

The transfer portal just allows those athletes to treat the schools like schools treat the sports. It's all a business decision.

Back