New NFL Kickoff Rules

No surprise onside kicks is lame.

That's very interesting, I'm going to be curious to see how it plays out. I hope it helps the health of the players.

I like that we should get more returns, that can be a key turning point in games. There has to be a better way for onside kicks is my only nit to pick. I don't like the 4th and 20 rule that some have proposed but I would like to see there be a fighting chance on retaining possession.

I kind of like the rule. They’d cut the number of kicks returned last year to around 20% with the fair catch addition. Hopefully this helps get some returns going again without the huge collisions.

I’ve wanted the onside change for years since the play is basically impossible.

Hopefully it works.

Will be fun to see who adapts the quickest to this. In my Twitter feed folks are suggesting it might allow for more types of players to return kicks

I like that we should get more returns, that can be a key turning point in games. There has to be a better way for onside kicks is my only nit to pick. I don't like the 4th and 20 rule that some have proposed but I would like to see there be a fighting chance on retaining possession.
I think returns will be interesting, and completely different than anything we've seen before. More "set plays" for returns, perhaps.

Onside kick is my biggest gripe. They are already impossible to pull off these days, now the element of surprise is gone.

This sounds kind of terrible to me..

I think this is a good compromise between what is there now and getting rid of the kick off altogether. At one point tjat was in in the discussions in the peak of the concussion issues and just giving the team the ball at the 25 yard line.

Kind of the worst and most unnecessary rule change.

I like it. The other option was no more kickoff at all.

I like it. I wish they could of figured out something for inside kicks where both teams have a pretty even chance.

I like the kickoff rule. Who knows if it will prevent injuries or not but in theory it’s good. Onside rules are dumb still though, at least back in the day you had a little bit of a chance, now it’s 0

XFL having an impact on the NFL again

I’m doubtful this prevents injuries much, you still have two people running full speed from 30 yards away hitting a group of people. Hopefully this lessens the percentages some from the old style kickoffs, and allows the nfl to leave it alone.

Onside kicks will be even more impossible as you now have to announce them but no idea how to fix that.

Looks silly but will give it time and more study, but could go flag football. MCDC said he likes the rule and is already scheming up the possibilities. If the NFL is overly concerned about injuries what about going no face mask for any player- old school blocking and tackling, would be fun.

Seeing the XFL video (I don't watch the XFL) from X helped me visualize this change, thanks @echico for posting it. After thinking about it, I kind of like it too, although there will most likely be unintended consequences which require tweaks. Much better than eliminating the kickoff completely, however.

It strikes me that, other than not being able to rush the kicker, it makes the kickoff more like a punt. Does anyone know if a punting style kick will be allowed, I couldn't find anything.

Better have a kicker who can tackle. Break through that line and the returner is off to the races.

Back