New NFL rules for 2013. Has the commish gone too far?

More and more, I want to see the league out law facemasks all together.

Anybody talk to Earl Campbell lately? If you have, please know, he probably doesn't remember talking to you. That's why the rule is getting passed.

Also, if Jim Brown is ok with the rule, then the rule is ok.

Unfortunately the league had to do it. Hard to keep it legal if the players are going to do it for themselves, then blame and sue the league when the retire for their head injuries.
the league didnt HAVE to do anything. they watered down the game enough when they took away 60% of kickoffs (which was voted most exciting play in football by fans).

Anybody talk to Earl Campbell lately? If you have, please know, he probably doesn't remember talking to you. That's why the rule is getting passed.

That's exactly right.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

the league didnt HAVE to do anything. they watered down the game enough when they took away 60% of kickoffs (which was voted most exciting play in football by fans).

When you get sued by every ex-player that has ever has a concussion, you kind of have to. You just want them to keep losing money?

But they did have to. The NFL, and by extension the owners, are being sued by 300 former players because they didn't protect their heads.

campbell and brown didnt play for multi million dollar salaries. it wasnt the same type of risk/reward as it is now. when you play a violent game you know what can happen.

"We are trying to get that one individual situation where the head is lowered -- and you can see on the field, you can see a player put his head down -- and the contact is with the crown and you can see it."

It's not like a ball carrier isn't going to be able to put his helmet down, he's just not going to be able to go completely down and barrel into a defenders chest with the crown of his helmet. Goalline situations will be fine.

so let me get this right. if i sign up for the military and get deployed and shot, i can sue the military because they didnt protect me from the bullet?

^^^ No, but in the NFL you can.

When you get sued by every ex-player that has ever has a concussion, you kind of have to. You just want them to keep losing money?

I'm still in favor of making players sign a waiver when they are signed.

campbell and brown didnt play for multi million dollar salaries. it wasnt the same type of risk/reward as it is now. when you play a violent game you know what can happen.

But does that make it any more safe or unsafe for a running back to lead with the crown of their helmet?

so let me get this right. if i sign up for the military and get deployed and shot, i can sue the military because they didnt protect me from the bullet?

That's how it works in the NFL, yes. Pretty stupid, but for some reason injuries are the league's fault.

^^^ No, but in the NFL you can.

I'm still in favor of making players sign a waiver when they are signed.

That would make things way easier. I can't understand why they don't.

Legally speaking, no. But if the military said to soldiers for decades, "There is no credible evidence that getting shot with a bullet can lead to injury, long term disability, or death." Like the NFL did with concussions, then there is a problem.

Im sure we'll all get used to the new rules and I'm just glad that they're proactively looking for ways to protect the players. Their time in the league is so short and I hate to see them hurting for a lifetime when they're done.

Dam is dead right, this was not about guys sitting in a room trying to handcuff the players.

This may reduce concussions, which is, rightfully so, the greatest concern, but RB injuries overall will go up significantly.

That's how it works in the NFL, yes. Pretty stupid, but for some reason injuries are the league's fault.
lol ok so at least were all in agreement, rules aside, that its absolutely ridiculous that the league has to make changes to protect themselves from stupid law suits

I LOVE Schiano's proposal to eliminate kickoffs all together.

lol ok so at least were all in agreement, rules aside, that its absolutely ridiculous that the league has to make changes to protect themselves from stupid law suits

I don't think you'll find many that disagree with you there, dude. Pretty sad.

Im not even sure I understand the complaint. Its not between the tackles. It happens more rarely than people think. Its a small rule to protect people that have had the same rule levied on them (deservedly) and it makes sense.

I disagree. For decades the NFL used made up science to support their claim that football related head injuries had no lasting affect on a player's health. That is dirty greedy business. And ultimately, worse for the sport than making sure that a running back cannot spear a defender.

Legally speaking, no. But if the military said to soldiers for decades, "There is no credible evidence that getting shot with a bullet can lead to injury, long term disability, or death." Like the NFL did with concussions, then there is a problem.
concussion awareness and prevention is as new as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder awareness and prevention. i get that with new development comes change, but some of the changes being made to the game are silly. the military is taking the right approach to PTSD. attacking it head on and dealing with it case by case. the NFL is just making these changes to cover their asses in the court of law. seems like theyre putting a lot of time effort and money into the wrong approach if you ask me

I think it is getting a little ridiculous....why do players get paid the millions they do?...Because (God forbid) that one career or life-ending play occurs with the ink still wet on their shiney new enormous contract....that way they are taken care of for the rest of their lives....

As for this new running back rule, they lower their heads to protect themselves and bounce off tacklers...that one play by T. Rich is a bit of an extreme case...how else can they protect themselves and/or the ball...breaking tackles is one of the biggest parts of being a successful RB....if they just stand upright and run, then how can they expect to get that 1st down, or break through the hole and have a huge run for a TD?.....

I guess RBs better get to practicing their ups/high jump to hurdle over the line now...

if they just stand upright and run, then how can they expect to get that 1st down, or break through the hole and have a huge run for a TD?.....

I think some are skimming the rule a bit. They can still do that.

Back