New PGA Tour Enterprises

I don't know the specifics, but they've invested in sports before, so I'd think they have their own playbook of ideas and what's worked for other sports. Fenway also did a partnership with LPGA last year so there's some directly relevant experience here (though not sure how successful the partnership has been). Agree, giving players equity doesn't directly translate to increased viewership, but with players being the core piece that drives everything, they have to put some pieces in place to try and make sure they stay.

It does feel like a completely different/massive risk for the investors relative to something like owning a team. In that scenario, you're doing all the same things (growing media $, ticket sales, licensing, etc.), but without a huge threat of a competing league that has already poached a lot of talent.
Those other sports also generate significant broadcast reveues that go to the team either directly (baseball) or through sharing (football)

What does the consortium get out if this? Seems like a massive investment for a crappy product. Cant see how they get any of this money back

You have to wonder if the PIF is going to start up the lawsuits again. The PIF can't be happy campers with this PGA-SSG deal going through first and them being put on the back burner to say the least.

You have to wonder if the PIF is going to start up the lawsuits again. The PIF can't be happy campers with this PGA-SSG deal going through first and them being put on the back burner to say the least.
The SSG must’ve realized this is a possibility and their profits would end up in lawyers' pockets.

It sounds like another framework PR move as no one knows who is getting what and when. There is so much to be determined at a later date.

It's no coincidence this announcement comes 2 days before the 2024 LIV season opener.

So much for the “strategic alliance” with DPWT which is never mentioned at all.

Now that Pelley is gone I think PIF has its eyes on DPWT and it would behoove them to not let Jay screw them again and make a deal.

Someone needs to tell Jordan most LIV players don't want to go back to the PGAT.

In the end, it's the fans who get the short end of the stick.

That's exactly why they did this deal.

Now what happens when these investors decide after a couple years of shoveling money into the furnace that this isn't a good deal to be in, and PIF says GFY when the PGAT comes crawling back to them?

The PGA Tour has had 3 major tournament sponsors back out recently because they decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. This is Monahan making an even bigger mess out of what is already a big mess. I can't figure out how he still has a job, he must have naked pictures of powerful people in compromising positions or something.

And the Fenway Group’s John Henry shows he has no intention of paying players to field a decent team. It’s about his other businesses. Hopefully Red Sox fans shun the team and send a message… not that John Henry gives 2 sh#ts.

The SSG must’ve realized this is a possibility and their profits would end up in lawyers' pockets.

It sounds like another framework PR move as no one knows who is getting what and when. There is so much to be determined at a later date.

It's no coincidence this announcement comes 2 days before the 2024 LIV season opener.

So much for the “strategic alliance” with DPWT which is never mentioned at all.

Now that Pelley is gone I think PIF has its eyes on DPWT and it would behoove them to not let Jay screw them again and make a deal.

Someone needs to tell Jordan most LIV players don't want to go back to the PGAT.

In the end, it's the fans who get the short end of the stick.

I think that is definitely a possibility that PIF goes after DP World Tour. PIF already has a deep partnership with the Asian Tour and could get one with the Australian Tour as well. If PIF owned or had a partnership with DP World, Asian Tour, and Australian Tour that would be very interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
Obviously the PGA is questioning the backlash of a LIV deal, as they should, a lot of fans will turn their back if they make that move, they'll have their money, they'll have their unification in some weird way, but they will lose fans and who knows what end that will be, probably not good.

But without it they don't have unification, and can they survive without that? certainly in a reduced way, a smaller sport and it's pretty small now, but the game suffers and neither tour will thrive, they will not make as much money.

That's why there's no deal yet, because there's no good choice, they can't win.

What does the consortium get out if this? Seems like a massive investment for a crappy product. Cant see how they get any of this money back

I asked this on page 1 also....i don't see why this is a good investment unless they believe a merger will happen and they can squeeze the players again

Their competition is a trillion dollar investment fund happy to burn money like the Joker in "Dark Knight"

It's hard to make a lot of money competing against a rival willing to lose money

That's exactly why they did this deal.

Now what happens when these investors decide after a couple years of shoveling money into the furnace that this isn't a good deal to be in, and PIF says GFY when the PGAT comes crawling back to them?

The PGA Tour has had 3 major tournament sponsors back out recently because they decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. This is Monahan making an even bigger mess out of what is already a big mess. I can't figure out how he still has a job, he must have naked pictures of powerful people in compromising positions or something.

Monahan is like Sandler in "Uncut Gems" right now. I think it's all riding on the PIF merger.

As much as he arguably screwed up in the past 2 years. If they end up with a merger which results in a total monopoly of the golf world featuring 2 of the biggest sports investors and no possible comp to stop them from squeezing out profits.....As a businessman, he's actually done a fantastic job.

If the merger doesn't go through, i don't see how he can reasonably still be CEO, and he probably ends up in a river somewhere.....it's a real hero or zero thing here

Most of the better players on LIV have stated they would like to play both and to play against the best players. Bryson said just said this "a merger between the PGA Tour and LIV Golf "needs to happen" to bring the sport "back together." Hatton after signing, "Ultimately, I would like to still be able to play events on the other two tours. But we'll see how all that works out."

Many on the PGAT also say they wish they were playing with all the best players.

Many on the PGAT also say they wish they were playing with all the best players.
That doesn't jive, sir. People here tell me all the best players are already on the PGAT, anyone who goes to LIV is washed up...

Cantlay saying that PGA fans have suffered the last couple of years? Do you agree?

I agree with his statement with its better with the best PGAT players at the same event is what the fans want, but what will that do to the non elevated tournaments?

Cantlay saying that PGA fans have suffered the last couple of years? Do you agree?

I agree with his statement with its better with the best PGAT players at the same event is what the fans want, but what will that do to the non elevated tournaments?
Hell yes I agree with him. The network presentations are garbage.

Interesting thoughts..

Interesting thoughts..

I'm not optimistic. The investment group wants to make money, and advertisers are a big part of where they make money. One of my biggest beefs with golf telecasts is that you see way more commercials than you do golf coverage, and given their goal I don't see that getting any better.

I'm not optimistic. The investment group wants to make money, and advertisers are a big part of where they make money. One of my biggest beefs with golf telecasts is that you see way more commercials than you do golf coverage, and given their goal I don't see that getting any better.
Concur

I don't know what this means, but seems like a big step in some direction.
One foot in the grave, struggling to get out kind of step?

We discuss this quite a bit on the Off Course that just dropped today

I can not wait for this one!

Great. I just turned this episode on!!

Dont understand all this and really can’t see how this will improve the PGA tour product for us, the fans/viewers

Most of the better players on LIV have stated they would like to play both and to play against the best players. Bryson said just said this "a merger between the PGA Tour and LIV Golf "needs to happen" to bring the sport "back together." Hatton after signing, "Ultimately, I would like to still be able to play events on the other two tours. But we'll see how all that works out."

What happened to the “play less golf narrative”

LIV has 14 events and some have eligibility for 4 Majors.

PGAT has a mandatory 20 events.

This all may have worked with the Saudi’s original plan of 8 LIV events (like the Aramco series) but they had to pivot to 14 after Jay wanted to play hardball.

Unless they’re going to give LIV players an exemption from the 20 mandatory PGAT tournaments I don't see it happening.

Back