NHL 2013-2014 Season

A pretty big win by Winnipeg last night against the Sharks. Right now the Sharks are leading the Pacific by two points but the Ducks have three games in hand. They square off on the 9th for what could be a very important game. Everyone is trying it avoid the Kings in the first round!

With a Coyotes win last night I think the curtain has drawn on the Canuck's season. This makes me sad.

At the Sabres vs Lightning game tonight. 2-2, Stamkos has 1.
I think he has almost as many points as the sabres leading scorer in less than 30 games.

so guys with the last few weeks of the season coming up, how are your teams going?

my team is doing way better than anyone expected them to do, most people here in Montreal weren't convinced they would even make the playoffs! now, thanks to Price, they sit in second place in their division, third in the east, everyone here is looking forward to that playoff first round, most likely against Tampa.

The Canucks aren't mathematically eliminated yet, but they literally have a snowball's chance of making it to the post season. It's been a super frustrating year with nearly every single player on the team under-achieving, some mind boggling coaching moves, and another year with a stale General Manager that's just not ready to sit in the big boy chair.
I really worry where this team will go in the next 5 years with it's current leadership. Ownership wants a Stanley Cup, and I can see the 'Nucks being the next Calgary Flames, just holding on too long before realizing that the window is closed and it's time to rebuild.

NHL 2013-2014 Season

My Ducks sit in second in the West and are ahead of San Jose by two points with two games in hand. Each team is trying to avoid LA in the first round. By April 9th they will play those two games in hand and face off against the Sharks, hopefully with a nice points lead before puck drop. Things are looking good but the team is not playing great, decent but not too confidence inspiring.

Not really feeling the goodness with Kaner out in Chicago and now a Toews injury. They didn't finish the season really strong, imo. And P.S. I effing HATE Orpik.

Not really feeling the goodness with Kaner out in Chicago and now a Toews injury. They didn't finish the season really strong, imo. And P.S. I effing HATE Orpik.

Orpik's a scumbag that won't back any of his crap up. I really didn't feel all that bad about what Thornton did to him.

Orpik's a scumbag that won't back any of his crap up. I really didn't feel all that bad about what Thornton did to him.

I agree with half of that statement, Orpik is a scumbag, but thornton would be in jail if he did that outside the rink...

I agree with half of that statement, Orpik is a scumbag, but thornton would be in jail if he did that outside the rink...

Yeah, the slew-foot crossed the line. Didn't say I agreed with it just didn't feel that bad about it considering it was Orpik.
Would have rather seen him rag-doll and glove wash him but Thornton paid for it and Orpik is back out scumming people.

so guys with the last few weeks of the season coming up, how are your teams going?

my team is doing way better than anyone expected them to do, most people here in Montreal weren't convinced they would even make the playoffs! now, thanks to Price, they sit in second place in their division, third in the east, everyone here is looking forward to that playoff first round, most likely against Tampa.

Caps Ehh gonna come down to the last few games we shall see.

Orpik laid a vicious, yet CLEAN, hit on Toews. This wouldn't even be a topic if it wasn't Toews. Orpik lays that hit on a 4th line winger and nobody bats an eye. It's lame that in the NHL, you have to answer with a fight to a clean hit these days.

Orpik laid a vicious, yet CLEAN, hit on Toews. This wouldn't even be a topic if it wasn't Toews. Orpik lays that hit on a 4th line winger and nobody bats an eye. It's lame that in the NHL, you have to answer with a fight to a clean hit these days.

whats lame is that in today's nhl, vicious hits are considered as clean....

whats lame is that in today's nhl, vicious hits are considered as clean....
Don't get me wrong, that hit was borderline a lot of things: boarding, hit to the head, and charging. But it was none of those in the end.

Dang, Ducks come back from down 0-4 to win it 5-4 against Winnipeg.

#WussyWontFight
Didn't say it wasn't clean, per the word of the rules. He intends to hurt people hitting hard. Yea, I'm a homer and it was the 'C', but I have watched seemingly 100 videos of Orpik destroying people for what appears to be no other reason than to keep them off the ice (for a long time). To me, it's the equivalent of going after a QB or RB's knees. Is that the point? To gain an advantage? Probably, but its BS and chickencrap.
He (or any other goon) will get two minutes and the other guy is out for a month. Or life. Now, besides the clean hits, what dirty stuff can you remember him doing? Exactly why did he get slewfooted by Thornton. THAT was dirty. I don't like Marchand, either, but damn that was nasty.

#WussyWontFight

Didn't say it wasn't clean, per the word of the rules. He intends to hurt people hitting hard. Yea, I'm a homer and it was the 'C', but I have watched seemingly 100 videos of Orpik destroying people for what appears to be no other reason than to keep them off the ice (for a long time). To me, it's the equivalent of going after a QB or RB's knees. Is that the point? To gain an advantage? Probably, but its BS and chickencrap.
He (or any other goon) will get two minutes and the other guy is out for a month. Or life. Now, besides the clean hits, what dirty stuff can you remember him doing? Exactly why did he get slewfooted by Thornton. THAT was dirty. I don't like Marchand, either, but damn that was nasty.

isn't that the issue in the NHL right there? checking is part of the game and should stay part of the game, but it is not meant to hurt peaople, it was meant to separate the player from the puck.

Funny how when Duncan Keith ended the Canucks season 2 years ago with a flying elbow to Daniel Sedin's head most Chicago fans were a-ok with rockem sockem hockey. It's too bad hockey fans (myself included) have such a hard time looking at anything objectively anymore.

It's too bad hockey fans (myself included) have such a hard time looking at anything objectively anymore.

That!
the worst part is that most people wouldnt even watch the game if it wasnt for the stupid hits and fights... the leage wont do squat to ban them from the game.

hockey is dying and it makes me sad

isn't that the issue in the NHL right there? checking is part of the game and should stay part of the game, but it is not meant to hurt peaople, it was meant to separate the player from the puck.
A hard slide into second base can be meant to separate the ball from the glove, but we don't see people (normally) going for the kill shot. Now, in that same ballpark (see what I did there?) I was a catcher my entire young life and even into softball in the military. I have been knocked clean unconscious twice (once I even held onto the ball) and broken my nose twice. I didn't care one bit. You know what the difference was? See next part.....
most people wouldnt even watch the game if it wasnt for the stupid hits and fights

Blindsides in hockey, and crashes at home plate are entirely different in that one of those two is participated in by TWO willing participants; two people that KNOW what's about to happen. Football is the same. That receiver knows he's going to get creamed.

You know what? You're all right. God forbid anyone looks down at the puck, or for someone in the lane to pass to, because they're going to get killed. The shots are always up high, so with just a little margin of error, the clean hit can turn into a headshot instantly. They have mastered making the 'shoulder to chest' shot (legal) into a shoulder to chin shot (devastating). We're talking inches from fair and evil.
I went to YouTube and looked at that Keith hit. It was a BS hit for sure; Elbows generally are. And I'm not proclaiming the Hawks, or any other team, are innocent in this practice, but there seems to be a LOT more videos from certain players than others (and entire teams as well coughbostoncough)

OK, I sat on this for ten minutes....
I'm just saying we could do without the headhunting. The days of 'Oh, I went in shoulder to shoulder/chest and missed' crap needs to go. I realize they can expect to get hit (my it takes two theory) but they should be able to think they're going to get hit cleanly and without malice.

:surrender:

FWIW, I love, love, love hockey. It's the only sport in the world I can watch and not really care who's playing. I can appreciate the sport for what it is and usually find the awesomeness in the game no matter the teams. I can usually also pick a favorite for that game (most teams in black and yellow don't stand a chance though :alien: )

I thought it was a clean hit, a big hit yeah but keep your head up. It's not like Towes to put himself in a position like that. What really bothers me is anytime there is a hit someone feels the need to make it into a fight and all the hugging that goes on in front of the net after every whistle.

That!
the worst part is that most people wouldnt even watch the game if it wasnt for the stupid hits and fights... the leage wont do squat to ban them from the game.

hockey is dying and it makes me sad

I don't think the stupid hits are what keep people intrigued by the game. Hockey is all about good, clean hits and unfortunately the line is fine. When the game is played at the pace it is, mistakes can happen. I look at the Orpik hit on Toews and it only looks bad slowed down. Orpik is lined up for a clean hit and Toews drops down and puts himself in a horrible position.

I don't think the stupid hits are what keep people intrigued by the game. Hockey is all about good, clean hits and unfortunately the line is fine. When the game is played at the pace it is, mistakes can happen. I look at the Orpik hit on Toews and it only looks bad slowed down. Orpik is lined up for a clean hit and Toews drops down and puts himself in a horrible position.

this is where we disagree, open ice hits are plaguing this game.

hockey should be all about good plays, shots, saves, goals, not hits IMO

Back