Nickent Alive Again?

I will just have to enjoy the Nickent clubs I have. I got excited when I saw this thread. What a let down. LOL

While I'm glad to hear the brand may continue, it just won't be the same without Hoeffy and the team. Like others have said, I'm afraid it'll become a pale shadow of the former company as far as the performance of the equipment goes.

We are hearing rumors that this went down yesterday. Not 100% confirmed yet, but getting close.

Nickent was a great brand, They were one of the most underrated OEM's out there while they were going strong, it's a shame if it ends up just becoming another "house brand" name

This will be interesting. Too bad things happened like they did and the most of the staff was forced to jump ship to find other employment.

I will just have to enjoy the Nickent clubs I have. I got excited when I saw this thread. What a let down. LOL

I just got a brand new set of 4dx irons. Yesterday was the first day I took them to the range. I got excited that I might get an updated hybrid or two from the restarted company. Dicks will ruin it.

Just playing the devils advocate here but assume that Dick's who has an apparel deal with golf galaxy and most major golf manufacturers, the golf channel and other big companies maybe Dicks will use that influence and connectivity to continue the brand in the same quality that it was before the closure. then again that may be too optimistic

Just playing the devils advocate here but assume that Dick's who has an apparel deal with golf galaxy and most major golf manufacturers, the golf channel and other big companies maybe Dicks will use that influence and connectivity to continue the brand in the same quality that it was before the closure. then again that may be too optimistic

That would be hard to do since not a single person from the company is still with them. They also did NOT sell the patents that they own. John Hoeflich, one of the best if not the best, club designer ever, is not part of them. Owner Michael Lee left, even the tour rep left. Even the customer service people left. Many have signed on and launched another brand. Hoeflich did not and is doing his own thing and enjoying life now.

That would be hard to do since not a single person from the company is still with them. They also did NOT sell the patents that they own. John Hoeflich, one of the best if not the best, club designer ever, is not part of them. Owner Michael Lee left, even the tour rep left. Even the customer service people left. Many have signed on and launched another brand. Hoeflich did not and is doing his own thing and enjoying life now.

And I'm playing Clevelands now. :D Still have the Nickents in the wings in case I need them or someone from out of town would need a set while here.

What's a Nickent?

Kevin

that sucks they made a really good club and on a serious note what do yall wanna bet that within a year Acuity is "dropped" and all of the sudden Nickent is "reborn"

If Dicks didn't buy the patents, what did they get? The name couldn't be worth much. The average golfer doesn't remember that mcgregor used to be a good brand let alone Nickent. I love the 4 dx irons I just bought, but I have to admit, I forgot about Nickent, until I came across the deal at Dallas Golf.

If Dicks didn't buy the patents, what did they get? The name couldn't be worth much. The average golfer doesn't remember that mcgregor used to be a good brand let alone Nickent. I love the 4 dx irons I just bought, but I have to admit, I forgot about Nickent, until I came across the deal at Dallas Golf.

They may have bought a patent or two, but the brand name was owned by a bank and the patents by an individual. He has not sold them. The brand name means more than you think. Even a casual golfer walks into a store and sees Nickent or Walter Hagen, they are buying Nickent.

They may have bought a patent or two, but the brand name was owned by a bank and the patents by an individual. He has not sold them. The brand name means more than you think. Even a casual golfer walks into a store and sees Nickent or Walter Hagen, they are buying Nickent.
I agree with you on that point. It has to have a better appeal than the Hagen. Of course, if they are trying to improve I shouldn't knock them.

Forgive my ignorance but what made these clubs so special?

I don't remember these guys being around back when I used to play so them coming them going while I was taking a break from the game makes it hard to understand why they were/are highly regarded.

They were just well built clubs in my opinion. Very much an innovator and at the forefront in design. They made incredible hybrids and they were one of hte 1st with removable shaft technology, if not THE first. Their club designer may perhaps be the best ever with his resume.

Well that makes sense, thanks!

Well that makes sense, thanks!

Since you played a while back, you might remember Tommy Armour 845 or Titleist DCI, or Taylormade RAC, or the original Hybrid, these were all designed by teh same clubmaker. He was then at Nickent.

Matter of fact I do, you learn something every day.

Matter of fact I do, you learn something every day.

There are a few interviews with him on our home page. Very interesting stuff. The one on THP Radio is great.

I recently traded in an ancient set of Tommy Armour irons that were my first set of clubs...I got like 80$.

That shows you how good that guy was that there's still that much resale in his clubs.

Where does he work now?

I recently traded in an ancient set of Tommy Armour irons that were my first set of clubs...I got like 80$.

That shows you how good that guy was that there's still that much resale in his clubs.

Where does he work now?

Hoeffy is doing consulting and taking time off.

I wish I was his neighbor. I'd poke my head in his garage and be like, "hey bud what you working on? hey let me try that..."

I wish I was his neighbor. I'd poke my head in his garage and be like, "hey bud what you working on? hey let me try that..."

You and me both, but for different reasons....I would just love to live in his neighborhood.

Back