"No thanks, I'm a Taylormade guy..."

I used to be this way when I played and coached basketball. Only Wilson balls, the Jet as a player, then Wilson Solution wide-channel. No other ball, ever! No other brand, ever! With hoops shoes it was Nike. I had to have Nike to play in. Our college had a contract with Converse, so I HAD to wear Converse in games, but I wore Nike in practice.
With golf, I've never been that way. For a while when I coached, I only bought TM because of the team purchase program in which the clubs were below cost. I would still hit other clubs at demo days, but I always bought TM.
I can see a reason to buy them, like I was in, but to not try is interesting.
But, I get it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started out caring about a matched set. Now I'm going with "badly mismatched" for a theme. :)

Certainly a lot of guys at my club are like this. Lots of matched sets, especially from Taylormade and Titleist. For some reason our club doesn't stock Callaway and I'm amazed at how few Callaway irons and woods are in play. I have not seen a late model Callaway driver or fairway wood in play other than mine in any of the rounds I've played the last few months.

I think ball preference is even stronger than club brand preference among golfers. 75% of the guys at my club play Titleist which is why I don't. When I ask some of these guys if the have ever given another ball a serious try, the answer is usually no. They are sticking to their Pro V1. I'm sure many of them think I'm at a disadvantage because I'm playing a Maxfli or Bridgestone. I could play any of the premium balls and be happy.

You would think that it would be really easy to try another ball, surprised that many won't even think about playing a different ball at your club...

You would think that it would be really easy to try another ball, surprised that many won't even think about playing a different ball at your club...

The club only sells Titleist and they have a cult like following at our club. Rumor has it that the head pro gets a kickback from Titleist to not carry the other brands. The biggest problem is everyone is playing a Pro V1 so you definitely must have unique markings on you ball. Some of the older guys honestly think I'm crazy for playing a Maxfli U6, which absolutely performs better for me than a Pro V1 or Pro V1x.

It's obvious from my signature that I'm not a loyalist but I don't see that big a deal with someone being fully committed to a superior, long standing brand like TM. Maybe it hurts him, maybe not? But to play devil's advocate, I've probably read some version of "I'll never own/hit anything TM" 100s of times in various threads here. That hard line is likely just as detrimental to the THPers taking that stance as was the guy's choice to only hit TM in the sim. Yet no one, myself included, thinks their anti-TM stance is big deal. I'm 100% cool with all who are strongly tied to a brand, strongly opposed to a brand, or who love em all like me. The TM offerings likely played as well as any for that guy and he might have an in with them to save $?

Last edited:
I am fairly new to golf, but I have already found a few brands that I feel good hitting. However, I am not opposed to trying others when it comes time to buy. I like to go to Golfsmith on a slow day and take a few different clubs to one of the bays.

While they are the same brand, I thought I wanted a set of Cobra Baffler XL irons with hybrids. I took the 5h and 7i from the Baffler XL set to a bay with the 5i and 7i from an older Amp-D set. In my head I even wanted the Bafflers to work out better for me (they were newer and in slightly better shape) but I couldn't deny the feel and numbers. In the end, I am really happy with the Amp-D irons, so it all worked out. :)

I used to purchase only TM clubs... up until I hit a Bridgestone wedge. They spoiled brand loyalty for me. Then I got in the THP event with Cobra, and the impact they had on me was so positive that I feel a loyalty to them. Eventually I want their driver, but they still cost money so I'm not there yet!

I think JB nailed it earlier when he said our club purchases are emotional purchases. Barring a personal THP event experience, I doubt I'll get away from Yes! Putters, Bridgestone wedges, and Cobra woods.

Ever since MC 2.0, when I tried my first Callaway clubs, everything has been measured against them. I try Callaway first, and if something beats it out, then that's what I go with. See my signature. It's not all Callaway. In fact, it's mostly Adams!

My ex BIL on the other hand (Dan The Man on the forum) is a Callaway Guy. Has been for almost as long as I've known him.

I can't say I'll ever only play one brand. If another brand plays better for me and is within my budget, I'll go with it.

As a possible biggest club ho on this (or any other) site, I can't say that I'm brand loyal. I like all companies and like to try new stuff. With that said I have my preferences of course. Callaway and bridgestone will always get my attention first based on my life experiences. I'm bagging callaway woods, JDM irons, callaway wedges, odyssey putter and game bridgestone ball. No part of my bag is safe from tinkering that's for sure lol

I started my first full season of golfing thinking I was gonna upgrade all my "hand me down" equipment to all new taylormade clubs. At the end of this year and 18+ rounds of golfing I have a motley crew of clubs in my bag from tour edge, callaway, cobra, Wilson and XPC. Looking to upgrade my irons next and am looking at cobra, Cleveland, mizuno.

I did buy a taylormade bag but only because it was named after my hometown (San Clemente) and the taylormade Burner driver I started with was kicked out by the tour edge x-rail.

SO to answer your question, I was partial to taylormade but having gained some real experience this year I am now open to more brands and seeing which club fits me better.

The only way I'd be overtly brand loyal is if a company was paying me to represent them. Then I'd annoyingly brand loyal.

For me,it's down to what works for me. I have gamed almost every major OEM at one point. I am loyal to Callaway and Cleveland so these I do not see leaving the bag anytime soon. As technology increases this will come more a factor. I enjoy the battle of holding out

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The club only sells Titleist and they have a cult like following at our club. Rumor has it that the head pro gets a kickback from Titleist to not carry the other brands. The biggest problem is everyone is playing a Pro V1 so you definitely must have unique markings on you ball. Some of the older guys honestly think I'm crazy for playing a Maxfli U6, which absolutely performs better for me than a Pro V1 or Pro V1x.

DSG has the Maxfli U6 on sale at 2 for 60 right now... Judging by this post I need to test them out...

Dax

I am definitely more loyal to certain brands. But, I'll always try on any club. I like experimenting with what's out there. Sometimes after experimenting, I end up being more brand loyal to that club. I never heard oF SeeMore putters 3 years ago, ended up hitting a buddies for a round and went out and bought one later that year. It's been in my bag for 2 years now.

I was surprised that in both of my fittings at Golftec TaylorMade didn't come up when it made the selections. It appears that from my fittings "I'm a Callaway guy" who will be all Callaway in my bag save for putter.

The disappointment is that I won't have me new driver, FW, hybrid and wedges in time for my round on Wednesday. I'm trying not to cry.

I'm the opposite I won't hit anything if it's Taylormade

I'm the opposite I won't hit anything if it's Taylormade
Same here...I've tried TM stuff in the past (I know technology has changed) but I never got along with their stuff so it has just moved me away from trying it

Good thing there are so many options now

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm good with trying any brand. I never thought about Bridgestone clubs until I had a chance to hit them, and loved the CB's on the first swing.

I do have loyalty towards UST because I've been treated so well by them. But they make enough shafts to find something that would work for just about anyone so I think it's a little different with a shaft company versus a club company.

DSG has the Maxfli U6 on sale at 2 for 60 right now... Judging by this post I need to test them out...

Dax

I've played all the premium $40+ per dozen balls including less popular ones like Volvik or the Wilson Staff FG Tour and I would put the spin of the U6 off of full wedges and greenside in the middle of the pack. Spin is certainly less than a ProV1 but I really need less spin on full shots to prevent me from sucking the ball back too much. Yesterday I hit 16 GIR with everything from a 4 wood to a LW and the most spin back I got was about 8 feet with the average being about 2 feet. I just picked up last years U6's at Golf Galaxy for $12.50 a dozen, not bad for a premium, 6 piece ball.

Unless they are paying me ... no, that dude is insane. With my hard earned money, I want the best performing equipment for my swing I can afford. If that includes the sound, so be it.

I work once a week in the Golf Department at Dick's. Tonight, I had something happen that I found strange. I had a customer come in to hit and compare the M1 and the R15. He hit both about the same, although not extremely well. He also complained about the unique sound of the M1. I asked if he wanted the hit the Great Big Bertha while he was at it, he just responded, "No thanks, I'm a Taylormade guy..."

I'm all for brand loyalty (look at my signature), but I'm not so loyal that I wouldn't even demo other brands of clubs that aren't my normal brand. How many THP'er are "No thanks, I'm a Brand X guy/gal"?

Dax

No thanks. I'm a TaylorMade guy....with the exception of my Callaway utility prototype. I've been a TaylorMade loyalist since I got my first brand new full set of irons, the Burner Bubbles. Since then, the only other brand I've owned or played is Callaway, mostly because of their wedges. I've also played Callaway's balls, dating back to the HX Tour & HX Tour56. Will I demo other brands? Yeah. Sure. I've hit irons & woods from basically every other company, but I literally have no intent on buying them. May be closed minded or whatever, but hey, it is what it is. So, I guess you could say that I'm a TaylorMade guy 99% of the time.

Buy what you want/need/are fitted for, it is your $$$ ...what other people want/desire is insignificant in most cases.

I'm probly the opposite and will try anything. I could literally have a full bag of like 7different companies and be ok with it. I really like my bag now and it is really a mix of a bunch of different clubs. Certain brands will get tried first but I will play the best club that fits me and is in my price range.
I tried a lot of different clubs and found that the Wilson staff d200s fit me really well so that's what I am playing for my woods.

Back